3 month update on Carmeng

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 month update on Carmeng

To recap, Carm had a/p surgery at HSS in NYC by Dr. B on 9/25. T11 to S1. Surgery was 12 hrs. 10 days at HSS - staff was great, but after surgery is pretty tough I think more because of the anestieshia , trauma and pain meds than anything else. Then 11 days in rehab, which was very good because they gave her confidence in doing daily things and helped her "step down" to home. After getting home, we were lucky in that 2 of her girlfriends each spent a week here, so I go go back to work full time. Now at 3 months she is doing mild PT and walking around often w/out a cane or brace. PT folks spend a lot of time massaging her scars. As others have posted, she is "tilted" but getting straighter. Still on meds but slowly starting the weaning process. She's also lost about 20 lbs. Dr. B says she will be fine in time. He's a man of few words and his staff is great.

Good news about Carmen

John, Thanks for updating us on Carmen. I have been wondering how she has been. Sounds like she is doing well and glad you could go back to work full-time. That massage on the scars sure sounds like it would feel good! Give her my best wishes. Take care,
    Susan
    Susan, Age 60, getting accustomed to my new back!
    A/P Surgery Oct. 15 and 22, 2007
    Spinal fusion T10 -S1 with Segmental instrumentation
    Thorocolumbar pre-op curve 63 degrees: post-op curve less than 10 degrees per Dr. at 6-month appt.
    Dr. Robert A. Hart @ Oregon Health & Science University, (OHSU) Spine Center, Portland, OR

Comment

John,

Glad to hear she's doing well and she's lucky to have you by her side!!!

Keep us informed, and tell her she is in our thoughts.

Shari

Comment

Thanks for the update! This is a very rough surgery, no doubt. But its sounds like she has a good team of treatment professionals, (and family) behind her. Did the 20 lb weight loss harm her, or was she like me and could stand to lose a few? Glad to hear she is in good spirits.
        Lisa age 47
        T curve 69 degrees
        L curve 40 degrees more or less - compensatory
        fused to from T-3 to sacrum
        anterior and posterior surgeries completed June 1, 2007
        pushing hard in recovery !!

Comment

so happy to hear of Carmen's progress!
          give her my best, Lynne

Comment

Working...
          X