PacifiCare Denied TLSO Brace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PacifiCare Denied TLSO Brace

Does anyone out there have PacifiCare (or United Health) and did you have a hard time getting them to pay for your child's TLSO brace? They have denied Mackenzie's brace saying that orthotics are not a covered service. I have explained that it is a back brace for scoliosis (and it was coded by the brace company as CPT L1200 which is the correct code for a TLSO brace). But Pacificare keeps saying that orthotics are not a covered service. I have reviewed the Summary of Benefits and it never mentions orthotics in either the covered or excluded services.

If you have had this situation, I'd love to hear how you resolved it. We have the PPO product (not the HMO). I am so frustrated with them. I have talked to them 3 times and each time they tell me they will resubmit the claim - only to have it denied again. The bill is nearly $2400!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Lisa
    Lisa
    Mom to Mackenzie
    diagnosed March 2007 at 28 degree thoracic, 40 degree lumbar
    August 2007 - 37 degree thoracic, 37 degree lumbar
    March 2008 - 39 degree thoracic, 37 degree lumbar

Lisa,

Do you have a benefit entitled "Durable Medical Equipment" or DME? That is what braces fall under. Usually there is a cap per year. Good luck!

Deshea
    mom to lucas 6 1/2 yrs old with infantile scoliosis diagnosed at 18 mos 68o/45o;
    spinal detethering due to a tight/fatty filum at 22 mos;
    tlso and charleston brace from 18 mos to 2 1/2 yrs old at children's boston, ma;
    serial plaster casting from 2 1/2 until 4 1/2 at shriners in erie, pa;
    now in a spinecor brace at 21o/19o from montreal. next appt. sept 2008
    and ruby (3 1/2 yrs old and a handful!)
    north of boston, ma

Comment

I don't have that health care, but the billing service for the doctors office might be more in the know of how to get it covered. I would document how to get it done because my kids insurance has been charged as much as $5000 for that brace. Em

Comment

Thanks Desheah and ecnw. I'm waiting for a supervisor to call me back (what do you think the chances of that are??? ha!).

Anyway, I do have DME coverage with a $5000 annual max, so I'll try that approach. Hopefully I won't have to go the "Consumer Dispute" route with the letters and the "proof" etc. What a hassle. How many different ways do these insurance companies have of trying to deny coverage when they KNOW that it's a covered service. I'm sure they're hoping I'm ignorant and won't fight back. Makes you wonder how many people do just cave in and pay out of their pockets??

I'll keep you posted. Thanks again.
        Lisa
        Mom to Mackenzie

Comment

i think that they basically try and wear people down. i have gone through the dispute route many times. while you wait for your insurance company to call you back, it wouldn't hurt to get in touch with your ortho's office and have them send you a letter stating why your child needs the brace. at least this way you are moving forward if you do need to dispute anything.

by the way, any insurance person who doesn't know that orthotics (any of them) fall under durable medical equipment is NOT TRAINED! geez, where do they get these people????

good luck!
          deshea
          mom to lucas 6 1/2 yrs old with infantile scoliosis diagnosed at 18 mos 68o/45o;
          tlso and charleston brace from 18 mos to 2 1/2 yrs old at children's boston, ma;
          north of boston, ma

Comment

My son's endocrinologist got his insulin pump covered. She wrote a letter to the doctor in charge of reviews? I don't remember exactly what she addressed it too. She stated all the reasons he needed an insulin pump. Stated that it was the STANDARD of treatment rather than the exception. Asked to correspond verbally or in writing with them. The pump was covered eventually. Good luck!
            Cheryl
            God has used scoliosis to strengthen and mold us. He's good all the time!On this forum these larger curves have not held forever in Spinecor,with an initial positive response followed by deterioration. With deterioration, change treatment.The first year she gained 4 or 5 inches and was stable at around 20/20 in brace, followed by rapid progression the next year.She is now 51/40 (Jan2008)out of brace (40/30 in Spinecor) and started at 38/27 out of brace(Jan2006.) Now in Cheneau.

Comment

Thanks Cheryl and Desheah. The Pacificare Supervisor called this morning and I missed her. She promised to call back within the hour. Hopefully she will.

Lisa
              Lisa
              Mom to Mackenzie

Comment

Macksmom, if your health insurance is through your employer, perhaps you can talk to someone there that can help clarify what is and isn't covered under your insurance. HR is the probably the best place to go. Also, see if there are other co-workers (yours or your husband's) who have other issues similar to this, or have any info that may help you on this. This info may help you build a case in your favor with the insurance company. Just a thought, that when I read "orthotics", I immediately thought of the specialized inserts that are put in shoes. I don't have any idea of whether it would make any difference, but is it possible that they are confused about what you are asking for coverage on? I hope all works out for you. Remember that if by chance, the insurance company will not cover it bottom line, that there's a good chance that the brace company will allow you to pay for the brace in installments. Be sure everything is well documented including receipts for payments already made (if any), this way you can be re-imbursed if it turns out that it is covered.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I talked to the PacifiCare Supervisor and of course, she says it's all just a misunderstanding. That they'll cover the brace as DME as soon as they get a letter of Medical Necessity from the ordering physician. This is the first I'd heard that. I'm guessing they just hoped I'd go away.

Anyway, I called and left a message with Dr. Bhatia's office to call the Pacificare Supervisor so they could fax the letter to them. Hopefully they'll do it. Of course, I asked his office to call me back to confirm - but I'll stay on them until the letter is sent (especially since I switched my daughter to Dr. Skaggs in August - we may not be a priority).

Lisa
                  Lisa
                  Mom to Mackenzie

Comment

at least things are moving forward now, but it always does seem to involve multiple phone calls to everyone! i'm sure all of us on this board can empathize!

deshea
                    north of boston, ma

Comment

Macksmom, that's great news! It sounded too bad to be true. I had a pretty good feeling that it was a matter of a misunderstanding or miscommunication.

Comment

I asked our insurace (Kaiser) no less than five times about covering the brace cost when I heard my child might need a brace. They promised they'd cover it. This is what was faxed to me:

Orthotic Devices
                        We cover rigid and semi-rigid external Orthotic Devices that are used for the purpose of supporting a weak or deformed body member, or for restricting or eliminating motion in a diseased or injured part of the body. Examples of covered Orthotics Devices include, but are not limited to, leg, arm, back and neck braces.

See if your insurance company will accept the brace with this language. I assume you had a doctor's prescription for the brace.
                        Daughter 17.5 (diagnosed @ 12 yrs) in Sept 2007 AIS
                        Oct 2007: T-20, L-20 [160 cm]
                        Mar 2008: T-24, L-24 [163 cm], started Cheneau brace
                        May 2008: T-16, L-7 (in-brace) [164.2 cm]
                        Oct 2008: T-23, L-15 (out-of-brace) [167 cm]
                        Feb 2009: T-20, L-18 (in-brace) 2nd brace
                        Jun 2009: T-20, L-16 (in-brace) [172.2 cm]
                        Dec 2009: T-33, L-16 (out-of-brace) [173.8 cm]
                        Apr 2010: T-25, L-12 (in-brace) [175.3 cm] 3rd brace
                        Mar 2011: T31, L20 (out) [176.2]
                        Jul 2012: T31, L20 (out) [177.2]

Comment