Diets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diets?

I know almost all of you lose weight with this surgery, but I gained 8 lbs. in the hospital, even with an ileus, and have put on probably 7 or 8 additional pounds in November and December... (bad time of year!) I saw DebbieM had gained also and wondered about dieting. My question is if anyone knows for sure if it's ok to diet after awhile. My surgery was 8 months ago, so I'm thinking it wouldn't hurt, as long as it's a sensible diet. I usually do Weight Watchers, so you get plenty of nutritious food, but it does limit the proteins some. I take two Vit. D with calcium each day, a multi-vitamin, and Evista for my bones (to strengthen them and prevent osteoporosis), so I think that would help make up for any cut-down on calcium--although I will probably be having 3 "milks" each day. The first weight I gained in November was shortly after I started physical therapy. I was hoping it was because I was converting fat to muscle, which weighs more, but then again I think I am probably rationalizing.

Do any of you have experience with dieting after surgery. I would rather put up with the weight gain than jeopardize the fusion... I would never forgive myself for fouling that up just because I wanted to lose some weight.

Thanks for any help/suggestions/encouragement you might have!
    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Susie Bee, have you asked your surgeon for his opinion? Perhaps he could recommend a good dietician/nutritionist to help you meet your goals in a healthy way? ;-).

Worth a shot, and I think you're definitely taking the wise approach.

Best regards, and Happy New Year, all!
    Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
    AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
    Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
    Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
    EMAIL ME

Comment

In case anyone else is interested-- I contacted my scoli nurse and she said the Weight Watchers program is fine. They just don't want people going on fad diets where you lose pounds incorrectly. So a nutritious type diet where you lose slowly is ok... Tomorrow sounds like a good time to start (I think!)

Corrected to 15°

Comment

I think you're far enough post op now to start, and ww is sensible. To be honest, if it's a sensible diet you're only eating what you should be anyway, not overeating! I am in the same boat as you, gaining weight even with an illeus. Sitting around all day isn't helping me much either. I've gone up a dress size! But I'm only 4 weeks post op, so I'm not being too hard on myself. I'm not strictly dieting, just trying to not eat after dinner, and eat fruit for snacks and have healthy food with the odd treat. Not eating after dinner is the hardest one! I'm hoping that with this sensible eating that I won't gain any more weight, as I'm not exercising I don't think I'll be losing much if any. I think if I get the hang of healthy eating now, when I can start exercising it will come off.

All the goodies people brought around for me have been greedily gobbled up by me, plus some more! At least it's summer here, so I can have yummy watermelon, and salads etc. I'm not going to be braving a bikini, but I'm hoping I'll be in shape for autumn.
        1994 curve at age 13, 70 degrees, untreated
        2000 Anterior fusion with instrumentation T9-L2, corrected to 36 degrees, 14 degree angle between fused and un-fused thoracic spine.
        2007 26 degrees junctional scoliosis
        Revision surgery, 6th December 2007 T4 to L3, Posterior approach.
        msandham.blogspot.com

Comment

If you were given steroids for post-op swelling, you are going to gain 10 pounds no matter what. Watch what you drink just as much as what you eat. My daughter was drinking poweraid after surgery. When she stopped, she lost 10 pounds. Whether you have had surgery or not, you should always eat a healthy diet.
          T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
          2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
          3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
          Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

Thanks, everyone!

You have all been helpful. I should have explained that I almost always eat a healthy diet, regardless. It is just a basic Weight Watchers regimen, but at the upper end if I'm not actually dieting--hopefully maintaining. The past two months I have added more sweets because I have no will power over the holidays and I love to bake, so I know what I need to do. I just wasn't sure if it was ok to actually be losing weight or not. The weight I gained in the hospital is, I'm pretty sure, from the inactivity and the IV nutrients... because it never ended up coming off. I gain extremely easily and have to be totally committed to lose any, with no "cheating." Any diet, by nature of what it is, robs your body, otherwise you wouldn't lose any weight. I just wasn't sure if it was ok for me or not. I checked, and as long as it is a sensible, healthy diet, I'm ok to do it. Thanks for all your input. Don't worry--I will diet the correct way--and a way I'm used to. It's the being active part that will be harder too, dealing with snow, etc., and my physical limitations. If I don't couple the dieting with exercise, it is even more slow going. I have my PT "at home" exercises I'll be doing-- and hopefully find a treadmill or something since my actual PT appointments stopped on Monday. I will miss going there for many reasons! So wish me luck on the diet.

Corrected to 15°

Comment

Try water walking... it's a resistance workout, and cardio, but doesn't put impact on your joints.
              1994 curve at age 13, 70 degrees, untreated
              2000 Anterior fusion with instrumentation T9-L2, corrected to 36 degrees, 14 degree angle between fused and un-fused thoracic spine.
              2007 26 degrees junctional scoliosis
              Revision surgery, 6th December 2007 T4 to L3, Posterior approach.
              msandham.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
              X