Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Penny asks "ANYONE fused T1-S1?"

Hi all! Happy holidays & New year!

I am posting for Penny as she is home recuperating from surgery 12/24. She went in for her check up @ 8 1/2 months and found that the ligaments holding T4 gave way rupturing the disc at T4. (She was fused T4-S1) Her Dr. came in from his vacation to do her surgery as they were worried her spinal cord was in danger due to the instability and it needed to be addressed right away. They removed her T4 disc (as well as T4 hard wear) and fused T1 to T4. She feels she is the only one with this long a fusion...... Anyone out there have this many levels? (18) She is doing very well, pain is under control and she isn't laid up like her 1st surgery. Her spirits are good but she is worried about the extent of her fusion now. Thanks and best wishes to all. Suzy

not quite...

I'm fused T2-L4-- 15 vertebrae, but it was with the understanding that I may need to be fused to the sacrum at some point, depending, as I have degenerative disc disease in those lower lumbars. But I think there are others that have similar fusion lengths, although they are not as common... we just have a few more challenges to deal with as we recover.

I was sorry to hear of Penny's problem (scares me a little) but glad to hear all is well and she's doing fine post-op. Give her my best wishes. And thanks for posting this. Take care!
    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

long fusions

I'm fused T8 to sacrum, but may have it extended up to T3. I already have C7 to C4 fused. From reading about others with long fusions, the main problem seems to be turning the head when reversing the car. This is easily corrected by installing larger mirrors on the sides of the car.

Comment

I am T-4 to S-1---5 years ago. No pain and gainfully employed.
        Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
        Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

I'm T-1 to L-5, I can't play "Twister" anymore, but I can play 18 holes of golf with less pain than before my surgeries!!!

Shari

Comment

I know at least 1 person fused from C3-sacrum. I can tell you that's a contest I never want to win!
            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
            Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I was just fused (revision) from T2-Sacrum (and anchored in the ilium) on 12/5. I know of another lady that does not post here and is fused T1-Sacrum with anchor in the ilium.
              Hope Penny recovers quickly.

Comment

This coming thursday will be 3 months since my surgery. I am fused from T2 to sacrum. I also have a long fusion, just a little bit smaller than yours. I started driving 2 weeks ago and the only problem was backing out. Physical therapy on my neck seems to help. It is slowly getting easier to turn my neck. As long as you do PT it does get better. Tell her to hang in there, as "time does heals all wounds."
                Question here......Do you know how or why the legimants at T4 gave way???
                A/P Surgery Oct.15 and 18, 2007
                T2 to Sacrum
                Pre-surgery 56* T 60* L
                Post-surgery 28* T 30* L
                Dr. Pashman, Cedars-Sinai Hospital
                Bevery Hills, CA

Debbie, age 51 at surgery.
                Now, 59 yrs young :-)

Comment

Talked to Penny today.

Hi all,

Thanks for your responses. I just talked to Penny and she is doing MUCH better! I read your posts to her she was happy to hear you have been keeping her in your thoughts. he was in a bit of a funk because she felt she lost the holidays. She was very relieved that she is not alone in the long fusion category. She got a different vehicle a few months ago (her last one was too low to the ground to use comfortably post-op) and it has a back up camera so she won't have to turn when backing up. I highly recommend a backup camera! I think that is what helped me to drive so soon after my surgery. (@ 5 weeks post-op)

Shari,
                  we both laughed at the "twister" comment! I haven't thought about that game in forever. We both can't believe you golf! I guess having S1 not fused makes this possible. Good for you!

Debbi M,
                  I asked her the same question about the ligaments. You know I thought at first it might have been due to the fact she was T37* ish with rotation and L57* ish and her surgeon corrected her to 0*!!! She asked him if he had this happen before and he said not any of his patients but he knew of other Dr's. who's patients had this happen. Penny thinks possibly it could have something to do with the fact she was treated for a disorder years back with steroids. Since they mess you up she said. Who knows. You will soon look back on your three month milestone and smile at just how far you have come. Time is truly a healer. Best wishes to you all.

Comment

Working...
                  X