Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I can't believe it, 6 months postop,now facing a hysterectomy...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can't believe it, 6 months postop,now facing a hysterectomy...

Well, I am still in a bit of shock....My gynecologist is freaking out because my scoliosis surgeon found a problem in presurgical cat scans with my uterus, and my PCP forgot to forward these test results to the gynecologist. My mother had uterine cancer at 36, and I had an endometrial ablation done 1 1/2 years ago to stop irregular horrible periods and make sure nothing was sneaking up on me.. I asked my PCP twice to make sure they were forwarded to the GYN, and when I did not hear anything, I assumed all was okay and the thickening was scar tissue from the ablation. So, at my yearly physical, I handed the GYN the latest bone density results, and this abnormal ultrasound test result just happened to be in the same folder. The GYN read it and said it should never be as thick as it was on the ultrasound, especially after the ablation. My periods had been so awful for the last year ( and unpredictable) that I have had to wear depends and stay at home to avoid blood pooling around my ankles and ruining clothes and chairs. I thought that was normal for peri-menopausal women !!! So, he is mad that he did not see it months ago, and so am I, as I have to pay another $ 1,000 deductible. of course, there is always the underlying possibility of cancer, but, I am not ready to consider that until it comes to that. He scheduled me for surgery in January.

What I ask now, is, have any of you had surgery that soon after our scoli surgeries, and what special precautions should this doctor take? I am going to email my scoli surgeon and let him know so he can put in his 2 cents worth ( make that half a million dollars worth) and i hope that Blue Cross/Blue shield does not put out a "hit" on me ... Thanks for listening to me whine....I was SO not ready for this....
    Lisa age 47
    T curve 69 degrees
    L curve 40 degrees more or less - compensatory
    fused to from T-3 to sacrum
    anterior and posterior surgeries completed June 1, 2007
    pushing hard in recovery !!

Oh jeeze Lisa, I'm so sorry to hear you are facing this! But I'm hoping this surgery will prevent more serious GYN problems down the line.

I think Linda G had surgery to repair her hip at 2 or 3 months post-op; I'm sure you'll hear from her.

Please vent all you want. Keep us posted and keep the faith!!!!!
    Chris
    Last edited by Singer; 12-30-2007, 06:37 PM.
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Hi Lisa,

I know there is nothing that can be said to make you feel better. After all you have just been through, that's the last thing you need to worry about.

But you have already proven how strong you really are, and life just seems to be full of obstacles for us choosen ones. I can't find any words of wisdom right now, just feel the need to show support and encouragement to try and stay strong. I know it's hard. I hope you know there are alot of us out here that welcome the opportunity to help you get through another tough time.

You have your family, friends and all of us on this forum. I know I try to stay strong in front of my family and friends, but it easy to vent on here.

Take advantage of it if you feel the need, and we're all in your corner!!!

Shari

Comment

Lisa -
        I can totally understand why you would be mad, frustrated, in shock - normal reactions. We try so hard to cover all the bases, ask all the questions, comply with instructions given, and someone drops the ball on something as simple as forwarding a report. I have had that happen to me, but nothing with the repercussions that your situation has. I wish you all the best going forward. We are all behind you.
        FeliciaFeliciaFelicia
        10/24/00 posterior fusion T4-L4 at age 57
        8/5/05 posterior surgery for spinal stenosis at L4-L5; laminectomy and fusion
        5/14/07 posterior revision with fusion to sacrum
        2/11/08 anterior discectomy L5-S1, and reinforcement of fusion with plate attached to L5-S1
        3/9/2011 and 3/11/2011 revision surgery with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis - complete revision and fusion with instrumentation from T1 to sacrum, one lumbar osteotomy.

Comment

Facing a hysterectomy so soon after surgery

I needed that operation 4 years post revision and after the hysterectomy I needed the gallbladder taken out 6 months after that. The novelty has definitely worn off.

Even though I am a medical professional this site has been extremely supportive and informative:

http://www.hystersisters.com/
          Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
          Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

thanks to all of you for your encouragement!

All of you are dears for responding to my panic attack. I am worried about how long they will have me in the surgical position w/ stirrups, and how bad it is gonna hurt my back and legs, when I wake up. Poor Linda G., having hip surgery at 2-3 months!!! By golly, if she can do it, I can do it. I like that Hystersisters website, and I have learned a lot today. Bless all of you for your love and support... we're gonna get thru it...
            Lisa age 47
            T curve 69 degrees
            L curve 40 degrees more or less - compensatory
            fused to from T-3 to sacrum
            anterior and posterior surgeries completed June 1, 2007
            pushing hard in recovery !!

Comment

Working...
            X