Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uneven shoulders

hello everyone!

so b4 my surgery my shoulders seemed to be pretty even. (nothing immediately noticeable)

but now (post-op) my right shoulder is quite noticeably lower than my left. I hope its just because my left shoulder and back area is still very tight from the operation. my entire right shoulder and arm is much more flexible and mobile than my left side.

is this normal...is my theory true?? I feel like once my left side loosens up a bit my shoulders will go back to normal...

i really need some words of wisdom...or encouragement....
    glenda

54T
    Posterior spinal Fusion--Dec. 12, 2007
    Fusion: T5-L3

10T and Loving it!!

Glenda,

I posted a couple weeks back that I was tilting post-surgery, where as I was standing straight before. I've found, as the weeks pass, I'm standing straighter and straighter. I asked me surgeon, and he said that it's a matter of my body adjusting to its new position. Also, before surgery, the right side of my back was extremely muscular, and working really hard to compensate for the scoliosis. Those muscles are still there, and still pushing, even though they dont need to be. It seems, for me at least, to be a matter of building the muscles in the left side of my back, and letting the other muscles adjust to my new shape.

Perhaps it is the same for you - your body just needs to get used to your new spine. You could take a picture now, and in two or three weeks, compare and see if you've seen improvement. It's a good thing to ask your doc about too.

Good luck.
    2000 34*L/39*T
    2007 44*L/53*T

12.3.07 Posterior Spinal Fusion T4-T12
    (initially planned T4-L1)
    12.18.07 11*L/10*T

23 years old

Comment

Hi Glenda

Wow, "almost" the same is happening to me. I am 9 wks. post op. My right shoulder sticks out more and my right arm and right shoulder are weaker than the right side. I find that physical therapy has helped with my weaker side. Have you started pt yet? Plus...you are pretty fresh out of surgery and I have noticed that with time some things start to dissipate. And I also have to agree with vndy, always tell your doc what you see and feel.

Good Luck!!!
      A/P Surgery Oct.15 and 18, 2007
      T2 to Sacrum
      Pre-surgery 56* T 60* L
      Post-surgery 28* T 30* L
      Dr. Pashman, Cedars-Sinai Hospital
      Bevery Hills, CA

Debbie, age 51 at surgery.
      Now, 59 yrs young :-)

Comment

The doctor told my daughter to practice standing with her shoulders level by looking in a mirror. She needed to retrain the muscles after surgery to get them to be in the right position.
        T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
        2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
        3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
        Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

I felt and looked asymmetrical for the first couple of months after surgery due to swelling, muscles adjusting to their new position, and getting used to a new center of gravity. Now that I'm over 6 months post-op, I'm very even-looking from my shoulders to my hips!

Give your body time to settle down.
          Chris
          A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
          Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
          Post-op curve: 12 degrees
          Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

bracing?

hello everyone.

thanks for the replies... i hope my shoulders/muscles do loosen up over time like u guys say and i can look more "normal" again.

by the way i'm not in a brace post op....do u think this has any effect? are any of u who replied in a brace?

**to rainbow2010** i've started practicing in the mirror too!!
            glenda

54T
            Posterior spinal Fusion--Dec. 12, 2007
            Fusion: T5-L3

10T and Loving it!!

Comment

I'm 10 days post op, and my shoulders aren't level either. Everytime I go to the bathroom, I take a few moments to "correct" myself. Also, when I am sitting, I focus on relaxing my shoulders and letting them fall as much as is comfortable. Keep trying to stretch out those muscles, and retrain your body where level is!

Don't worry! It seems like it is normal, as we all seem to go through it.
              2001 T-sp 58* L-sp 55*
              2007 T-sp 64* L-sp 67*
              Surgery Dec. 21 2007
              Posterior fusion T3 to L3

Comment

This is only my opinion from my own experience. I felt that I preceived my body differently pre-op.

I thought my shoulders were even, I could hide the difference in my hip level with lifts in my shoe, hid my rib hump with selective clothing.

I look at pictures from the past and my shoulders were never even. I think I created my own illusion.

For months after my surgeries, I held my shoulders in a weird position and didn't even know I was doing it. Then just one day they dropped into a normal postition. You have to give your body time to heal before you can really make certain that your correction worked.

I know I was so eager to have immediate results in all aspects affected from the surgery, but it took time!!!

Shari

Comment

Same thing! My shoulders were really uneven after surgery but now I'm almost 6 months post op and they're even. My dad always comments "Nice shoulders" ha ha.

After surgery you're in such a new position that your body doesn't know which way is correct. I kind of relate it to if you were to wake up and your teeth are in new positions, you wouldn't automatically know what is your 'natural' bite, because nothing feels natural!

It'll get there!! I promise!
                  Sonia
                  58*
                  Surgery 6/29/07
                  T3-L4

Comment

Mine are very uneven as well, the right being lower. At 6 weeks the xrays showed the rods were off to the left by quite a bit. Now everyone I read about says it corrects in time but my surgeon mentioned the posibility of correcting it with an osteotomy (removing a wedge of bone). I haven't read of anyone else who's surgeon has suggested this. I guess I will find out more on the 4th of Jan as that is when I see him again. If anyone has had or heard of the success rate of this procedure I would like to hear from them. The idea of going through a similar surgery again scares me silly! Thanks.
                    CarolS
                    68 degree right lumbar scoliosis, mild kyphosis at L1-2
                    Anterior/Posterior Correction, T8 to Sacrum, Sept 20th, 2007
                    Osteotomy March 20,2008
                    Thrilled with results!

Comment

Working...
                    X