December Surgeries: Recovery Thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• December Surgeries: Recovery Thread!

I know there is a substantial group here who had, or will have their surgery this month. I know that I am (extremely) bored, and would love a place to share my frustrations and milestones, and to read about others, so I thought I'd start this thread. I know that is part of the purpose of the forum in general, but I thought it might be nice to be able to share amongst those of us who are at similar points in the recovery process. Others are, of course, welcome to post too!

So to start,

I'm getting extremely frustrated with needing help and not being able to do things...

BUT

Yesterday, I was able to wash and brush all of my hair myself - including reaching the top and back of my head. And today I walked 1/4 mile on the treadmill in 15 minutes.
    2000 34*L/39*T
    2007 44*L/53*T

12.3.07 Posterior Spinal Fusion T4-T12
    (initially planned T4-L1)
    12.18.07 11*L/10*T

23 years old

What a great idea for a thread!
    I can go up a flight of 9 stairs in under 15 seconds! I was thrilled to learn that, and thats 8 days post op.
    Geish
    47 years old, dx at 13
    +30* to the right, +60* to the left, +30* to the right
    Surgery 12-13-07 - fusion from T4 to sacrum.

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=267 Pre surgery
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=268 Post surgery
    http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/DSC01091.jpg Xray from the side
    http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1089-1-1-1.jpg Xray from the back

Comment

I'm doing well, but getting frustrated mostly with needing help. My mother inlaw has been great coming over and helping out... but at the same time I have been getting extremely annoyed at her following me around and hanging outside the shower in case I need 'help'. I'm used to my own space, so it's a difficult adjustment. Yes I know she's only trying to help and doesn't know what I need... just GRRR! hehehe.
      I'm not sure the distances I'm walking at the moment, but feeling like I'm progressing on that front. I have been sleeping through the night lately too which has been nice. I wake up in the morning quite sore though.
      I'm wondering about if it's harmful being in the recliner chair in terms of healing in a funny way. I figured that the rods would keep everything aligned, but at the same time I'm not lying flat. Has anyone been given any advice on this from their surgeons?
      1994 curve at age 13, 70 degrees, untreated
      2000 Anterior fusion with instrumentation T9-L2, corrected to 36 degrees, 14 degree angle between fused and un-fused thoracic spine.
      2007 26 degrees junctional scoliosis
      Revision surgery, 6th December 2007 T4 to L3, Posterior approach.
      msandham.blogspot.com

Comment

Nz - I wouldnt think the reclining position is a problem, you're not bending, lifting, or twisting, and your back is straight, right? I'm jealous you're sleeping through the night - I still wake up 3-4 times.

I walked half a mile today in 20 minutes, and pulled my hair back myself. Still hating bumps on car rides, asking/needing help, and people who are insensitive.
        2000 34*L/39*T
        2007 44*L/53*T

12.18.07 11*L/10*T

23 years old

Comment

good and bad

well i have my good days and bad days

i'm having some trouble sleeping. i wake up at least twice annoyed at my stiffness...but i know it'll get better...(looking forward to that day!)

i love walking!! i don't know how fast or how far i walk but i find myself wanting to walk more than sit!

**to comment on the recliner... i don't have any doctor's advice, but i struggle to stay comfortable when i sit in one...it looks so comfortable but its like my back is to str8 to enjoy the recline..**

--oh and i really enjoy company (esp. my boyfriend) it seems like when i'm around others my pain subsides--
          glenda

54T
          Posterior spinal Fusion--Dec. 12, 2007
          Fusion: T5-L3

10T and Loving it!!

Comment

Successful surgeries Dec 11th and 13th. Now in hotel in St Louis waiting for my folow up appt next Weds before starting for home. Still need lots ogf help getting up and down but hotel bed is soft and I am hoping I'll do better at home.

Have beeen walking the halls a lot and venturing outside and in the car a little
            each day.

I would say I have more stiffnesss than actual pain.

Well - let me get walking!
            Jan Lotherington,
            56* thoracic curve, 50* lumbar curve
            A/P fusion T3-Sacrum, Dec 11&13 2007
            at age 55
            Dr Bridwell

Comment

Glad everyone is doing (mostly) well. I also wanted to pass on that "Rosie"'s surgery on 12/21 went well.

Glenda - I definitely agree company distracts from the pain, and boredom makes it worse! My best friend came to visit me, and it's the perfect distraction! My boyfriend is home for Christmas, and I'm anxious for him to get back for the same reason (among others )

I'm getting crazy sensations in my back, ranging from pinching to burning and tingling. I hope this is the nerves coming back...

Last week I stretched the amount of time between medicine doses from 4 to 6 hours, but I still get uncomfortable in the 30 minutes before I'm due for more. I'm so jealous of NZ for being nearly medicine free.

What are your expectations for when you'll be of narcotics?
              Last edited by vndy; 12-23-2007, 05:13 PM.
              2000 34*L/39*T
              2007 44*L/53*T

12.18.07 11*L/10*T

23 years old

Comment

This surgery has been so different to my first one in terms of pain. I'm not sure if it's the difference between posterior and anterior, or the levels of spine which were fused. I found the thoracotomy last time really painful, so that probably accounts for a lot of the pain! Last time I had about an hour out of four hours where I was comfortable enough to get up and do stuff.

Although I managed yesterday without taking anything, I was quite sore today after my (woohoo) drive to the local beach. I honestly don't notice any difference between taking tramadol and not taking it, and found that pre-op as well. Despite that, I take it anyway thinking that it possibly might be worse without it!

So glad to hear Rosie is doing well.
                2000 Anterior fusion with instrumentation T9-L2, corrected to 36 degrees, 14 degree angle between fused and un-fused thoracic spine.
                msandham.blogspot.com

Comment

Yesterday was not a great day pain wise. I just couldn't seem to get a handle on it until after 10 last night. I started having sharp pain in both shoulder blades that took my breath away. I am hoping for a better day today. I have my first in home visit from my physical therapist today. Hopefully she can show me some ways to help relieve the pain. I will be thinking of you all as we celebrate our first Christmas with straight backs! Merry Christmas.
                  Geish
                  47 years old, dx at 13

Comment

pain meds

I'm trying not to be so dependent on my pain meds..

My doctor said the nurses took me off my morphine pretty early while in the hospital, but i hardly noticed. Of course, i had lortab to keep me company.

While at home, at first i was taking 2 pills every 5 hours, but now i'm stretching them out. I take 1 at a time now: usually b4 bed and mid day..my 50 count is getting pretty low already.. in the occasion i have some "bothersome" pain i take 1 too! i have to say my pain hasn't been bad at all..

however, my stiffness after waking makes up for that pain... anyone else REALLY STIFF after a nap or waking from nightsleep?? i feel like a have to press a RESET button for my body.

--sorry for the long post--- i slept through the entire night last night (which was great)
                    glenda

54T
                    Posterior spinal Fusion--Dec. 12, 2007
                    Fusion: T5-L3

10T and Loving it!!

Comment

I'm also very stiff, sore, and uncomfortable when I wake up.

I had a rough night last night - I was due for meds at 12, but slept until 3. I couldn't seem to get my pain back to baseline until late this afternoon, so it was a rough day.

Nonetheless, I walked a mile on the treadmill in 30 minutes...

Merry Christmas, ladies!
                      2000 34*L/39*T
                      2007 44*L/53*T

12.18.07 11*L/10*T

23 years old

Comment

I get frustrated sometimes because I am still using the walker for support and I live on the 2nd floor of our house. When I need things I can't just go get them myself. My mom is off work for 2 weeks, and my brother is home on leave from the army as well. If I need something my mom gets it for me, but most of the time she forgets to bring it to me because she gets distracted with other things going on in the house. Can't take pain meds without something to drink.
                        I can't count the number of times I have been forgotten in the last week!

Comment

I get really stiff when I wake up too, and an intense pain on my left side (which has always been a problem area) under my shoulder blade This seems to happen regardless of when my last pain meds were! It feels much better when I get up and moving, but getting up is tough. This morning I tried several times to get up but each time I rolled on my side I was in unbearable pain. Although I knew the only way to relieve it was to push through it and get up, it was tough! I ended up getting my partner to haul me up without rolling on my side first, and once I was up I was sore but settling down. Not a great start to christmas day, but fortunately I was ok for the rest of the day.

Had a big day today, being christmas day... needed a 3 hour nap this afternoon to recover from the day's activities. Was a big milestone to go to my sisters house for a few hours, but it sure wore me out! Yesterday was my first car trip too, which was fun. Although I'm walking about ok, we found it difficult to find a carpark close to where we wanted to go, so I'm thinking about getting a temporary disabled parking permit, maybe just for a month. I'm still sitting on the fence about that, but I will ask for one if I really think it's necissary. Truly, I'm not up for mall shopping which is the only place that I can think of that I would really need it!
                          msandham.blogspot.com

Comment

I had two bad day with lots of breakthrough pain and spasms under my shoulder blades followed by a great day! Yesterday I was able to cut out all but 2 Dilaudid doses. What a great feeling to be able to cut back on the meds. The actual surgery site doesn't really bother me too much, but those sharp stabbing spasms in the shoulder blades are getting old.
                            I have had 2 really good nights sleep in a row, another good feeling, let me tell you. This morning I woke up and was surprised to find myself on my side. I know I started out on my back and have no idea how I managed to roll to my side in my sleep! Now if I could just figure out how to get this darned brace on by myself I would be a really happy camper! I am crossing my fingers for another good day today. Hope everyone else is doing well. Alicia
                            Geish
                            47 years old, dx at 13

Comment

baby steps

My boyfriend got back from visiting his family yesterday, and drove (an hour and half!) to pick me up from my parents house. The drive wasn't bad at all, and I think he could see how much better I am now than when he left 8 days ago.

Yesterday I walked TWO miles on the treadmill at a 2.7 pace (about 45minutes) and this morning I organized my dresser drawers so things are easy to find.

I'm getting the urge to try to drive, is that a bad idea?

I'm a bit sore now... I hope I didn't over do it...
                              Last edited by vndy; 12-28-2007, 01:10 PM.
                              2000 34*L/39*T
                              2007 44*L/53*T

12.18.07 11*L/10*T

23 years old

Comment

Working...
                              X