Six-month checkup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Six-month checkup

Hi all -- I had my 6 month checkup with Dr. B today, who had nothing but good news -- said my x-rays look very good, with my spine about 70 percent fused. He measured my corrected curve at 12 degrees -- apparently the compensatory part of my thorocolumbar curve straightened out a bit. So I'm now allowed to bend (carefully) and lift up to 10 pounds, and he doesn't need to see me again til I'm one year post-op.

We talked some about how I still have quite a bit of pain. He said that was normal in someone my age (52) with the size of the correction I had -- there was a lot of trauma to the tissues. But he also cleared me to start taking Advil or Aleve, so that will help a lot as I keep weaning slowly off the last of the narcotics. He also said my leg would be fine...it's about 70 percent back to where it should be.

He also pronounced my new figure to be "awesome!" It really is. I was never this straight or symmetrical even as a teen-ager.

Yeah baby !!!!!!!!!!!!
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Isn't it such an awesome feeling??? What great news!
    Jenn
    37 y/o female
    60 degree lumbar
    45 degree thoracic
    1st time anterior/posterior surgery May 8th and 10th 2006
    T 5 to S 1
    NYC

Comment

Congratulations, Chris!

You did not have an easy road to recovery (but maintained a sense of humor!) and have earned every bit of good news you heard from Dr. B.!

Have a wonderful holiday in your new body!

Linda
      Linda
      Two-stage A/P fusion T6-S1 with lumbar implants June 12 & June 27, 2007 at age 57
      S curve 75+ degrees with kyphosis
      Now 45 degrees and standing 3 inches taller!
      Dr. Frank Rand, New England Baptist Hospital, Boston

Comment

Hi Chris,

It's so nice to hear you get happy news!!! You know I had a rough recovery, and I hope that all is uphill for you from now on!!!

Have a great Holiday Season!!!

Shari

Comment

Thanks guys!

This morning as I dragged myself (groaning) out of bed I didn't feel quite as chipper.....I often wonder when I'll feel "normal" again -- but knowing everything's okay somehow puts the pain in perspective and makes it a little easier to put up with.
          Chris
          A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
          Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
          Post-op curve: 12 degrees
          Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Good news!

Chris-

I did not know you could have so much progress on your fusion this early! is this typical, or are you ahead of the curve? pardon the pun...Don't you love that straight back? (makes all the crap worth it, huh...) I am so glad your leg is showing that much improvement too.
            Lisa age 47
            T curve 69 degrees
            L curve 40 degrees more or less - compensatory
            fused to from T-3 to sacrum
            anterior and posterior surgeries completed June 1, 2007
            pushing hard in recovery !!

Comment

Working...
            X