What to wear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to wear?

Not the most important problem on this forum but here goes. After anterior and posterior surgery, what are the most comfortable things to wear? I was looking at some drawstring trousers yesterday but didn't know if they would be any good or what size to get. Lots of people lose weight but I may be having a brace fitted so does the weight loss counteract the extra size of the brace and I buy the size I am now... or do I need to be REALLY brave and leave it for my lovely husband to get some clothes for me after the surgery? Looking forward to having anything at all fit me - all my clothes have hung off my left side for years. Even my necklaces drape over my left boob!!

Hazel
    Last edited by MrsWh; 12-21-2007, 10:07 AM. Reason: Add name again
    Age 44. Thoracic curve age 19 45degrees. Now thoracic curve 65 degrees and lumber curve 43 degrees + disc degeneration. Surgery 24th January 2008 anterior, February 7th posterior.

MrsWh,

I am about 2.5 weeks post-op from posterior surgery, and find I can still only wear tops that I don't need to put over my head - lots of zip up hoodies. As for pants, it depends on whether you will have a bone graft from your hip. I am to the point now where I can wear soft pants (mostly sweats, both drawstring and elastic) that hit that incision, but in the beginning, I prefered pants that hit either above or below that incision.

That said, my experience has been different as I don't have a brace (though they told me before surgery I would have one, and changed their minds!) and don't have an incision on my stomach.

Best of luck!
    2000 34*L/39*T
    2007 44*L/53*T

12.3.07 Posterior Spinal Fusion T4-T12
    (initially planned T4-L1)
    12.18.07 11*L/10*T

23 years old

Comment

They told me to bring clothes to wear while in the hospital but I found I never did do that. To come home I had bought a pair of yoga pants. They really don't have a waist band and were very comfortable. I bought the size I was before surgery and was worried with all the swelling (anterior and posterior correction) that they might not fit. They worked fine, between the weight loss and swelling they seem to balance each other out. As for a top, I didn't bother wearing a bra, took a camasole and zip up hoodie and it was fine. Make sure you get your husband to bring a warm coat to the hospital, I was so cold going home.
      After surgery I lived in fleece type jogging pants with loose waist. I was always cold and they worked perfectly for me.
      Good luck with your surgery and Merry Christmas.
      CarolS
      68 degree right lumbar scoliosis, mild kyphosis at L1-2
      Anterior/Posterior Correction, T8 to Sacrum, Sept 20th, 2007
      Osteotomy March 20,2008
      Thrilled with results!

Comment

Hazel, before my surgery I went to the lingerie department of a big department store and bought several pairs of soft lounge pants -- baggy and loose-waisted with a draw string. I also got the kind that that sort of hug your hips with a soft wide band. Most people are bloated for a few weeks after anterior surgery -- I looked about 4 months pregnant for a month or so. Then the swelling went down and I lost a bit of weight. I LIVED in my lounge pants and didn't even consider regular zipper-type slacks or jeans until around 3 months post-op. I also lived in tank tops and hoodies, since I never knew if I'd be hot or cold.
        Chris
        A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
        Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
        Post-op curve: 12 degrees
        Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Welcome to the forum, Hazel! I hope you'll see that there's no such thing as a little question or concern here. And clothes are pretty important! I lived in those loose drawstring pants or low waisted loose sweats for about 4-5 months after surgery. First, they are sooo comfy-- and secondly, they worked with my brace. Pants you need to fasten are too difficult to do up when you have a hard brace that goes below your waist. I had some that were like pajama pants, but also found a pair of khakis and navy blue ones, for when I was "dressing up."!!!

As far as size goes, you will be a little swollen at first, so whatever you get, get it comfortably loose, but no need for them to be huge. Almost everyone loses weight. I think I'm the only one who ever gained weight from the surgery, but I did--8 lbs. in the hospital. They must have been feeding me a pretty high calorie IV solution. Oh well.

Just remember about the clothes, that you'll be some uncomfortable no matter what, so get comfy clothes. No point in having to deal with uncomfortable ones.
          71 and plugging along... but having some problems
          2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
          5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
          Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
          CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
          10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Welcome, Hazel...

I STILL am in yoga pants. I cannot stand for very long, the tightness of jeans on my incisions, especially the one on the back. It is not unbearable pain, just still uncomfortable yet. But, they are so cute and fashionable, why not? As for things hanging over your left boob, you will absolutely love being able to wear clothes that hang straight! I got rid of long necklaces and those with a pendant, as it acted like a plumbing bob always hanging crooked. Now I have to get new ones... hehehe... when do you have your surgery?
            Lisa age 47
            T curve 69 degrees
            L curve 40 degrees more or less - compensatory
            fused to from T-3 to sacrum
            anterior and posterior surgeries completed June 1, 2007
            pushing hard in recovery !!

Comment

Working...
            X