PDA

View Full Version : Level of correction for high degree kyphosis?

Canadian_Bacon
12-21-2007, 09:23 AM
Just wondering if anyone had any information (links, personal experience, etc) on the level of correction for high degree of scheuermann's kyphosis? By high, I mean 90 degrees and above. I maybe facing surgery in the future and I wanted to build a reasonable expectation of correction.

Is it often that a 90 degree curve can be brought down below 50 degrees?

lelc2002@yahoo
12-21-2007, 11:02 AM
Hi...I had kyphosis at about 85 & a lower curve of 95. I was corrected to about 60. I had good bone density but was'nt very flexible(bending)
good luck, Ly

Canadian_Bacon
12-26-2007, 05:24 PM
Anyone else?

LindaRacine
12-29-2007, 05:04 PM
Hi Canadian...

20-50 degrees is considered normal for kyphosis, so I'm thinking that a correction to 50 degrees would be a good thing.

Regards,
Linda

Snoopy
12-29-2007, 06:16 PM
My daughter, who was 13 y.o. at the time of surgery, went from about 72* down to 33*.

Mary Lou

Canadian_Bacon
12-30-2007, 12:33 AM
Hi Canadian...

20-50 degrees is considered normal for kyphosis, so I'm thinking that a correction to 50 degrees would be a good thing.

Regards,
Linda

A 50 degree correction is abosutely stunning - I was just looking to hear from more people :)

Canadian_Bacon
12-30-2007, 12:34 AM
My daughter, who was 13 y.o. at the time of surgery, went from about 72* down to 33*.

Mary Lou

That is quite amazing! How has the correction held up to date?

Snoopy
12-30-2007, 07:00 AM
Jamie just celebrated her 3 year anniversary a few weeks ago and her correction has remained the same.

Don't get discouraged if you don't get many responses. There just aren't that many people with Kyphosis who come to this site.

Canadian_Bacon
12-30-2007, 06:44 PM
Jamie just celebrated her 3 year anniversary a few weeks ago and her correction has remained the same.

Don't get discouraged if you don't get many responses. There just aren't that many people with Kyphosis who come to this site.

3 years? Wow - congrats! Nice to see everything is working out.

Yah - Don't worry about me, I'll keep plugging along for more answers :)

amae28
12-31-2007, 02:27 PM
Canadian Bacon-
I have kyphoscoliosis, the scoliosis is 45 degrees T/32L, and the kyphosis is 65 degrees. I haven't had surgery although I have a date planned for June 20 '08 due to progression, pain, and the combo of scoliosis and kyphosis. I guess my post is a little pointless because I can't tell you what you were asking. Just thought i'd chime in though... there aren't many kyphosis patients on this site for some reason.

http://www.scoliosis-support.org/modules/ipboard/

there are actually more people on the above website with kyphosis that I found... good luck!

Canadian_Bacon
01-02-2008, 04:28 PM
Canadian Bacon-
I have kyphoscoliosis, the scoliosis is 45 degrees T/32L, and the kyphosis is 65 degrees. I haven't had surgery although I have a date planned for June 20 '08 due to progression, pain, and the combo of scoliosis and kyphosis. I guess my post is a little pointless because I can't tell you what you were asking. Just thought i'd chime in though... there aren't many kyphosis patients on this site for some reason.

http://www.scoliosis-support.org/modules/ipboard/

there are actually more people on the above website with kyphosis that I found... good luck!

Thanks! I frequent that forum as well - a very good forum, but not a whole lot of traffic (well compared to this site).