Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Level of correction for high degree kyphosis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Level of correction for high degree kyphosis?

Just wondering if anyone had any information (links, personal experience, etc) on the level of correction for high degree of scheuermann's kyphosis? By high, I mean 90 degrees and above. I maybe facing surgery in the future and I wanted to build a reasonable expectation of correction.

Is it often that a 90 degree curve can be brought down below 50 degrees?

Hi...I had kyphosis at about 85 & a lower curve of 95. I was corrected to about 60. I had good bone density but was'nt very flexible(bending)
    good luck, Ly

Comment

Anyone else?

Comment

Hi Canadian...

20-50 degrees is considered normal for kyphosis, so I'm thinking that a correction to 50 degrees would be a good thing.

Regards,
        Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

My daughter, who was 13 y.o. at the time of surgery, went from about 72* down to 33*.

Mary Lou
          Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine
            Hi Canadian...

20-50 degrees is considered normal for kyphosis, so I'm thinking that a correction to 50 degrees would be a good thing.

Regards,
            Linda
            A 50 degree correction is abosutely stunning - I was just looking to hear from more people

Comment

Originally posted by Snoopy
              My daughter, who was 13 y.o. at the time of surgery, went from about 72* down to 33*.

Mary Lou
              That is quite amazing! How has the correction held up to date?

Comment

Jamie just celebrated her 3 year anniversary a few weeks ago and her correction has remained the same.

Don't get discouraged if you don't get many responses. There just aren't that many people with Kyphosis who come to this site.
                Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Originally posted by Snoopy
                  Jamie just celebrated her 3 year anniversary a few weeks ago and her correction has remained the same.

Don't get discouraged if you don't get many responses. There just aren't that many people with Kyphosis who come to this site.
                  3 years? Wow - congrats! Nice to see everything is working out.

Yah - Don't worry about me, I'll keep plugging along for more answers

Comment

Canadian Bacon-
                    I have kyphoscoliosis, the scoliosis is 45 degrees T/32L, and the kyphosis is 65 degrees. I haven't had surgery although I have a date planned for June 20 '08 due to progression, pain, and the combo of scoliosis and kyphosis. I guess my post is a little pointless because I can't tell you what you were asking. Just thought i'd chime in though... there aren't many kyphosis patients on this site for some reason.

http://www.scoliosis-support.org/modules/ipboard/

there are actually more people on the above website with kyphosis that I found... good luck!
                    aBbiE
                    22 yr old F,KU college student
                    Kyphoscoliosis...
                    Scoliosis (25T, 23L) diagnosed @ 14 yrs old; curves June 08 were 45T, 32L with 18 degree rotation
                    Kyphosis of 65 degrees...
                    I am missing a lumbar vertebrae

Surgery 6/30/2008 with Dr. Lawrence Lenke
                    Fused T2-L2

before/after pics
                    all smiles!

Comment

Originally posted by amae28
                      Canadian Bacon-
                      I have kyphoscoliosis, the scoliosis is 45 degrees T/32L, and the kyphosis is 65 degrees. I haven't had surgery although I have a date planned for June 20 '08 due to progression, pain, and the combo of scoliosis and kyphosis. I guess my post is a little pointless because I can't tell you what you were asking. Just thought i'd chime in though... there aren't many kyphosis patients on this site for some reason.

http://www.scoliosis-support.org/modules/ipboard/

there are actually more people on the above website with kyphosis that I found... good luck!
                      Thanks! I frequent that forum as well - a very good forum, but not a whole lot of traffic (well compared to this site).

Comment

Working...
                      X