What I found in my Chart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What I found in my Chart

Here is what I found, not sure if I should be worried or not. Why does this scare me so badly?

There is a multilevel degenerative disc and degenerative joint disease seen throughout the cervical spine.

At C3-C4, there are uncovertebral degenerative changes on the right and mild facet degenerative change causing right-sided neural foraminal stenosis for the right IV nerve root. The central canal and left exit foramina are widely patent.

At C4-C5 there are bilateral uncovertebral degenerative changes, right greater than left causing mild right-sided neural foraminal narrowing for the right C5 nerve root. The central canal and left exit foramen are widely patent.

At C5-C6 there is a diffuse disc osteophyte complex. There is facet hypertrophy, right greater than left. Combination of findings causes right-sided neural foraminal narrowing for the right C6 nerve root.

At C6-C7 there is a minimal diffuse osteophyte disc complex and facet degenerative change causing right-sided neural foraminal narrowing for the right C7 nerve root. There is no evidence of central canal stenosis or left-sided neural foraminal narrowing.

At C7-T1 there is evidence of central canal or exit foraminal stenosis.

Straightening of the cervical lordosis with multilevel degenerative disc and degenerative joint disease causing multilevel right-sided neural foraminal narrowing and minimal left-sided neural foraminal narrowing. There are no disc herniations seen.
    Male age 42
    Dix at 12 Milwaukee brace 13 to 15
    right thoracic curve @ 65*
    left lumbar curve @ 35*
    L3-4 endplate degenerative changes
    left sided disc protrusion at L4-5 hittin the L4 nerve root
    Cervical,Thoracic and Lumbar degenerative disc disease

These are common findings with scoliosis especially if there is a cervical compensatory curve. I had triple curves with the thoracic being the largest, the next being lumbar and the smallest cervical. When my curves were reduce by surgery I actually had no problems with my neck at all. If the spine has curves--anywhere--there will be uneven wear and tear on the vertebrae themselves as well as their discs. This is called "degenerative".
    Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
    Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Questions

I've just got a ton of questions and I wish I knew who to talk to. I guess my biggest question is, if I get this surgery will the pain go away? Can I get back to playing golf again? Will I be able to bend over, play catch with my 10 year old son. I'm scared and not sure what I'm getting into. Is this surgery worth it? That's just some of the questions I have. Plus I have no clue to what's normal.
      Male age 42
      Dix at 12 Milwaukee brace 13 to 15
      right thoracic curve @ 65*
      left lumbar curve @ 35*
      L3-4 endplate degenerative changes
      left sided disc protrusion at L4-5 hittin the L4 nerve root
      Cervical,Thoracic and Lumbar degenerative disc disease

Comment

At 2.5 weeks post op, my perspective is certainly biased, but I can tell you my experience asking those same questions. I was told there was a 70-80% chance of pain reduction with surgery. Plus, it ensures my curve cannot progress further, which should correlate with preventing pain increase over time (but I don't know if your curve is progressing or not). After surgery, you will be prevented from bending, twisting, or lifting (not conducive to playing with children or golfing), but depending on your levels of fusion, you should be able to return to those motions in time.

This is just based on my own experience, what I've read on this forum, and been told by doctors. Perhaps you'd benefit from connecting with a qualified surgeon so you could ask these questions?

Good luck.
        2000 34*L/39*T
        2007 44*L/53*T

12.3.07 Posterior Spinal Fusion T4-T12
        (initially planned T4-L1)
        12.18.07 11*L/10*T

23 years old

Comment

Working...
        X