New to forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to forum

Just wanted to say hi to everyone on this forum. I've been reading posts for some months but this is the first time I've posted. I've got 65 degree thoracic curve, 48 lumbar curve with disc degeneration from L1-L5. Had my pre op on Tuesday and surgery is scheduled for 24th Jan anterior and 7th February posterior including thoracoplasty. Might get a brace too - the whole works! I feel much more prepared than I would have done without this website, thanks so much for sharing the best and worst of things - for making me laugh and cry, sometimes at the same time and for making me realise I'm not the only one struggling with this. My op has been delayed about 2 years and now I just want to get on with it!
    Age 44. Thoracic curve age 19 45degrees. Now thoracic curve 65 degrees and lumber curve 43 degrees + disc degeneration. Surgery 24th January 2008 anterior, February 7th posterior.

Welcome MrsH!!!

You're absolutely right, this is THE place to get prepared for surgery. I am curious, why has your surgery been postponed or delayed for so long? What age group are you? I look forward to getting to know you and we'll be here for you.....
    Lisa age 47
    T curve 69 degrees
    L curve 40 degrees more or less - compensatory
    fused to from T-3 to sacrum
    anterior and posterior surgeries completed June 1, 2007
    pushing hard in recovery !!

Comment

Welcome

Since I discovered this forum, there have been times that I've thought of camping out front of orthopaedic offices to tell people about it! I am so thankful for all the info I've gleaned from the other people on here.

Feel free to ask anything, anytime, we are all human and want to know stuff too!

I purposefully delayed my surgery more than 7 years, but I'm ready now, and hopefully you are too.

Roseann
      2001 T-sp 58* L-sp 55*
      2007 T-sp 64* L-sp 67*
      Surgery Dec. 21 2007
      Posterior fusion T3 to L3

Comment

Ok, I'm 44 and from England. Was diagnosed as a teenager, thoracic curve 45 degrees at age 19. I have been monitored on and off for years by a couple of different hospitals until in 2005 I was told I needed to have surgery as my scoliosis was progressing and causing me a lot of pain and difficulty walking. After some thought, as this was not unexpected, I agreed. Six months later at the preop the surgeon told me the operation was off as he had not yet made up his mind if it would help me. I was very traumatised. The hospital had made a lot of mistakes up to this point, including losing my notes, my X rays 3 times, cancelling appointments without telling me as they thought I had been transferred to another hospital.....the list was endless. Against my better judgement I returned for another appointment but they again lost my notes, had another person's Xrays in my folder, lost my MRI scan and then told me they never wanted to operate but I had demanded it! At this point I decided to get another opinion as I completely lost confidence in them. They were very unhappy with me! I complained and got an 11 page apology. It has taken almost 2 years to get through the NHS system here in England and I am now with a surgeon at another hospital. They have treated me very differently and I totally trust them.

Hazel
        Last edited by MrsWh; 12-21-2007, 09:43 AM. Reason: Add name
        Age 44. Thoracic curve age 19 45degrees. Now thoracic curve 65 degrees and lumber curve 43 degrees + disc degeneration. Surgery 24th January 2008 anterior, February 7th posterior.

Comment

Hi Hazel,

You are in the right place to get all the comfort, support, information and such a caring forum from a wonderful bunch of people.

Shari

Comment

Welcome to the forum, and good luck with the new hospital. A second opinion is always good - and even a third... its important that you are comfortable with your surgeon and his staff. I'm sorry to hear about your past experiences - how frustrating... I was like you for about 5 years. I had seen a doctor every year for new xrays - making sure the next doc was able to assess my past x-rays. Until this year - i met the man that finally said the words "you need surgery - if you don't do it now - it won't do you any good" and he was serious about. Keep coming to this forum - i don't post often, but there is just so much comfort, support, and information here when you need it. Use the search function often for specific threads... i'm sure you'll find what your looking for. Post a message if you have a question - someone will answer...

Jane
            -----------------
            Jane

34 yrs old
            Diagnosed at 12; Boston Brace for a year; ScoliTron for 3 months. Curves left untreated after 13 yrs old until 27yrs old.
            Pre-Op Upper Curve: 49; Post-Op: 14
            Pre-Op Lower Curve: 51; Post-Op: 18
            Posterior Reconstruction from T2-L3 on Oct 22, 2007
            Dr McNulty - UMC Hospital

Las Vegas, NV

Comment

Working...
            X