Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chris' surgery

Hi everybody,
    Chris came home on Monday and it is so good to be home and back in our own beds! We are all emotionally and physically exhausted. I must admit, it was the worst week of our lives and I'll never forget it. Chris was in surgery for 8 hours. We said goodbye to him at 7:45 am and didn't get to see him again until 6 pm and we were finally in a room at 8:30 pm. It was a long and very stressful day. I thought about all of you a lot during that day and thinking about all of the younger kids who went through this and did ok gave me strength.

Thankfully, the surgery went very smooth with no spinal cord issues. The highest his pain got was a 7. Most of the time his pain hovered around a 4 or 5. I thought the pain management team did a fantastic job keeping him comfortable. At the beginning of his surgery, they gave him methadone which really helped with his pain. It was only when that began to wear off the next morning that his pain hit a 7. They did increase his morphine at that point which of course, made him nauseous and itchy. More drugs to counteract those side effects. They eventually switched him to Dilaudin (sp?) which is less likely to cause nausea. It did seem to help. He did have a lot of problems with nausea just about the entire time though. We also had some rapid heart rate scares which combined with low oxygen levels and fluid buildup resulted in him needing a CAT scan of his heart and lungs to rule out a pulmonary embolism. As you can all imagine, that was devastating to hear. All I could do was sit by his bed, holding his hand while he slept, crying my eyes out. That was the scariest thing we ever had to go through during the entire week. Thankfully, after many prayers, we got the best news of our lives. The test came back normal. The surgeon apologized for having to put him through that, but he felt that there were too many things pointing in that direction and that we needed to rule it out. I respected his decision. I think that the CAT scan episode was the worst for Chris. They needed to transfer him to a gurney which made him vomit and the bumpy ride was very painful. Then they needed to transfer him again to the table for the scan and again, he was in agony. Combine that with i.v. issues and not enough pain meds., it was horrible for him. My heart was broke in a million pieces at that point.

Naturally, after he went through all of that, he began to release the fluid and his heart rate came down and his oxygen levels came up and the swelling went down. Doesn't it figure? They told me that it takes boys longer than girls to begin to release all of that fluid.

I know that needing a CAT scan is not a typical thing to happen and as I said before, I believe that part was the worst for Chris. Had it not been for all of that, I think that all things considered, it would have been bearable. He was so brave and handled the pain very well during the entire time and I couldn't be prouder of him. This young man of mine is my hero.

Big hugs,
    Lori

Mom to Christopher, age 17, Mark, 13, Heather, 10 and Michael, 8
    Chris had surgery with Dr. John Flynn at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia on December 12, 2007. He is fused T4 to L4.
    Dr. Flynn is an AMAZING surgeon!

Lori,

So glad Chris is okay. When I read posts like this, it makes me so thankful that I had the surgery and not my daughter. I'd much rather be in pain that watch my child be in pain. Can't imagine how scary the CT scan episode must have been.

Get some rest and best wishes for Chris's smooth recovery.
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Aw, Lori ... I hate that y'all had such a rough time.

I think it's just natural as a Mom to feel your kiddo's (and I don't care if they're 17 or 20 - living at home, or in the military - they're always your kiddo ;-) pain (physical, emotional or otherwise) even more acutely than if it were your own .

And it definitely blows to feel so helpless.

That said, you're home safely - and high five to both you and Chris ... you're on the other side!!!

You've two have been on my mind many, *many* times this last week, and it's wonderful to hear it was a successful journey overall (despite the rocky patches).

There is, I think, nothing in this life more wonderful than coming home to your own bed; may all the comforts of home ease your painful memories and fortify your souls.

Your new lives have begun, and you're BOTH my heroes today!

Best regards,
      Pam
      Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
      AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
      Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
      Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
      EMAIL ME

Comment

Hi Lori
        So glad to see you're back and glad you are all home again. And sorry to hear about Chris's problems and all the pain associated with the CAT scan. When Patrick was in the hospital his biggest crisis with pain had to do with cathetar problems where his pain escaladed to 10 and lastest there for several hours. Long story!! But made everything else seem trivial. It's always the things you least expect to give problems.
        Take care, it won't be long till he's back to his old self again.
        Ramona
        mom of Patrick, age 15 at time of surgery
        diagnosed July 2006 curves T58 L 38

Nov. 2006 curves T72 L38
        also lordoscoliosis

feb.2007 curves T79 L43

Surgery May 16 2007
        fused T4 to L1

Comment

Welcome Home!

Lori,

I've been thinking of you, and I'm glad to hear that, all in all, things went well. Chris' ordeal with the CT scan reminds me of mine with xrays (they tried to take me the day after surgery, and the bumpy ride on the gurney, plus the transfers to and from the xray table resulted in my throwing up when I returned to my room... see my day by day post for a good story...). I am also on Dilaudid, like Chris, since I have stomach problems. It has been okay on my stomach, but has made me a bit itchy. There's is a great anti-itch spray lotion by eucerin that helps a lot.

I promise things will get better and better. You and Chris will see and feel improvement day by day.

I'm thinking of you both. Congratulations, welcome to "the other side!"
          2000 34*L/39*T
          2007 44*L/53*T

12.3.07 Posterior Spinal Fusion T4-T12
          (initially planned T4-L1)
          12.18.07 11*L/10*T

23 years old

Comment

Big hugs to you, Lori and Chris. I'm proud of you both for making it through a very traumatic week. Did they offer to give Chris anti-nausea medicine? Braydon has a track record for being nauseated, so they give him 3 diff meds immediately after surgery to help keep the nausea to a minimum. I hope Chris is better with his nausea now.

Chris may still have some good steps forward, and a few steps back. This is fairly normal for so soon after surgery. Remember that it will get better. I've seen that after scoliosis surgery many teens "turn that corner" around the 3 week post-op time. Hopefully this is true for Chris.

Is his pain well-controlled at home? Is he having problems with constipation (I know, not a subject teenagers like to talk about, but its a real issue)? Continued thoughts and well wishes to Chris for a smooth and very successful recovery.
            Carmell
            mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

Lori,

Welcome home!!! Chris did so well and you have every reason to be so proud of him. I am so happy that the worst is behind you and you can look forward to a Merry Christmas and a New Year without surgery hanging over your head.
              Melissa
              From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
              Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

Lori,

Your post brought tears to my eyes. I can deal with just about anything EXCEPT seeing one of my kids in any sort of pain (my oldest will be 20 and I agree that it does not matter how old they are - I'd still rather have ten times the pain than to see any of my kids suffer at all). So, my heart went out to you when you described feeling so helpless.

That being said, WELCOME HOME!!! Hopefully it will be pretty smooth sailing now, with Chris getting a little better and stronger each day.

Big Hugs to you both,
                mariaf305@yahoo.com
                Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
                Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Glad to hear that everything went fairly well, and that you are on "the other side". I can't imagine how you felt when the word "embolism" was suggested. My daughter also had a few scares with breathing and fluid retention, luckily, she responded to the lasix (I think that was what they gave her), and we didn't go through any further scares. Sounds like the pain management went well for Chris, too. It does seem like its the little things that you didn't worry about that cause the biggest scares. I also know the feeling of comfort that finally being home brings. And, I hope things continue to get better for Chris, take one day at a time. It is amazing how quickly they turn the road to recovery. Hope you all have a Merry Christmas!

Comment

It's great to finally hear that you're all back home & that Chris is okay. It sounds like a traumatic time & I know what it's like to sit by the bed crying. Getting the post-op x-rays was the hardest for Alexander but now he doesn't remember it at all. He also had a lot of nausea & had to take the anti-nausea meds quite a bit in the hospital. Once we got home, he only needed them one time.

I hope Chris's pain is well controlled now that he is home. You must be relieved in so many ways. It will all keep getting easier to deal with as time goes on - esp. after the first week or two (or three).

Happy Holidays,
                    Laurie

Mother of Alexander & Zachary:
                    Alex is 16 years old and in the 11th grade. He has congenital scoliosis due to a hemivertebrae at T10. Wore a TLSO brace for 3 1/2 years. Pre-op curves were T45 & L65; curves post-op are approx. T31 & L34. Had a posterior spinal fusion from T8 to L3 on 7/12/07 at age 12. Doing great now in so many ways, but still working on improving posture.
                    Zach is 13 years old and very energetic.

Comment

It makes me mad that they put people through unnecessary moves like that. After I was home from the hospital for a week and went back to the ER, i had to have a CT scan and told them there was no way they were moving me from one bed to another. I was told not to worry I was on a "Hover Mat" and I would not feel a thing. They were right. They fill it up with air and one person was able to move me from one bed to the next with one hand...I was totaly amazed and I never felt anything.
                      Patty 51 years old
                      Surgery May 23, 2007(43 Birthday)
                      Posterior T3- L4
                      Pre surgery curves
                      T-53degrees
                      L-38degrees
                      and a severe side shift to the right.
                      Post surgery curves
                      Less than 10 degrees
                      Surgery April, 2006
                      C4 - C6

Comment

Lori:

So glad to hear you are home again. Chris' story brought tears to my eyes - it is enough to have this surgery without the added complication of a possible pulmonary embolism and being moved for the CT scan.

I am thinking of you both often and pray for a speedy recovery. Hope you both have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year - you deserve it.

Ruth
                        Ruth, 50 years old (s-shaped 30 degree scoliosis) with degenerative disc disease, married to Mike. Mother to two children - Son 18 and daughter 14. Both have idiopathic scoliosis. Son (T38, L29) has not needed surgery to date. Daughter (March 08 - T62, L63).

Comment

Hi Lori,

Glad to hear that Chris's surgery went well for the most part...you had some scary moments there...I feel for Chris, having to be moved around like he was for the CT scan. Joe had to have a chest x-ray when he started experiencing sharp pains in the area near his heart and I know how excruciating it was for him to have to be wheeled and moved around like that. That was interesting what you said about boys releasing fluids later than girls b/c Joe had some issues with swelling/fluid build-up also. I hope some of what you learned here helped prepare you some but it's hard b/c as much as you do learn on this forum, there are still so many variations in the post-surgery phase with how the kids handle meds, other complications, etc.

Take it easy, enjoy the holidays & being with your son and his new, straight back! Recovery takes time, but remember that one day this will all be a distant memory

Take care,
                          Renee

Comment

Happy to heare you're home!

Lori,

Happy to hear the good news. Feels good to be home doesn't it? Sorry you had the scare with his heart but happy to hear it was OK. These kids are sooo strong. They're my heroes too!

Merry Christmas!
                            Rose

Comment

Hi everybody,
                              Thanks so much for your kind words and well wishes. It's feels absolutely wonderful to finally be on the other side of this surgery. I feel like I belong to an exclusive club now - the other side club!! The initiation was tough but we made it!! Chris continues to improve each day and that warms my heart. I feel like I can finally be happy again and it's such a good feeling. The black cloud that hung over my head has been replaced with sunshine!

His pain is well controlled at this point. He is on Oxycodone and Tylenol every 4 hours. He was also sent home with Valium, but he has only needed 2 of them so far. You are all right about the little things that are unexpected in the post-op phase. I felt like I was well prepared to deal with many of the things that came along until the heart issues arose. I think this surgery can be compared to childbirth. Everybody has a different experience but the end result is still the same. It's hard to fully understand it until you have actually been through it.

Carmell,
                              Constipation isn't an issue any more. The big event happened on Wednesday. He would have a fit if he knew I was discussing bm's with everybody in the world! Although, at this point, I think after that hospital stay, all his modesty went right out the window. I think it all started with his 24 year old pretty nurse checking his catheter because it was a little twisted. As soon as she lifted the blanket, his heart rate shot up really high and she asked him if he was ok. He mumbled something about just being in some pain from moving. Talk about mortifying!! Poor kid!! His father hasn't let him forget that one.

Pam,
                              I know your son is a Marine and you must be incredibly proud of him. Please thank him for me for serving our country. My husband is also in the military and is currently on active duty for the Army for the second time. Thankfully, he is stationed about 45 minutes away.

Thanks again for your continued support and prayers. You ladies are the best!

Big hugs to all of you,
                              Lori

Mom to Christopher, age 17, Mark, 13, Heather, 10 and Michael, 8
                              Chris had surgery with Dr. John Flynn at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia on December 12, 2007. He is fused T4 to L4.
                              Dr. Flynn is an AMAZING surgeon!

Comment

Working...
                              X