Pre-op over, two days left...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre-op over, two days left...

Well everyone, my pre-op visit was today, pretty uneventful, except the nurse using me as a pin cushion when trying to draw blood... Looks like my fusion will start at T3 and extend to L3 or L4, Dr. Lee is hoping to just do L3, but I consented for T3-L4. I will have to arrive at the surgery pavilion before 6am on Friday, where the fun will begin!

He is anticipating a 6 day stay, (meaning x-mas in the hospital) but I should do pretty well in recovery as I am currently very healthy.

Emotionally, I'm doing ok, I am just feeling a little bit like maybe I shouldn't be putting myself through all this when I'm not in TOO much pain on a regular basis. I know that it is the right decision, I've already put it off for more than 7 years, and it has progressed about 10 degrees in that time.

I will be taking the winter quarter off of school to recover, I'm staying with my parents here, and my newly wedded husband (today is our 2 month anniversary) is here to help take care of me.
    2001 T-sp 58* L-sp 55*
    2007 T-sp 64* L-sp 67*
    Surgery Dec. 21 2007
    Posterior fusion T3 to L3

Best wishes

Hey Rosie,
    I'll be thinking of you. Its great when it's over with, I don't remember much of the first few days. Enjoy the time with your family and try to be active! I'm feeling a bit bored with the recovery process and am trying to be patient.
    A few people here have talked about the calm that comes the day before, I had that too... until the tears the night before. Don't expect too much of yourself, go with the flow, and it will all be ok. I'll be sending my best wishes from NZ. Hopefully you'll be having an early christmas this year? Shame you don't qualify for having your surgery in a childrens hospital, you'd get cool toys and other gifts! Milk christmas in hospital for all it's worth I don't expect you'll be up for much though.
    1994 curve at age 13, 70 degrees, untreated
    2000 Anterior fusion with instrumentation T9-L2, corrected to 36 degrees, 14 degree angle between fused and un-fused thoracic spine.
    2007 26 degrees junctional scoliosis
    Revision surgery, 6th December 2007 T4 to L3, Posterior approach.
    msandham.blogspot.com

Comment

Dear Rosie-- I will sure be thinking of you and praying for a successful surgery and fast recovery. It sounds like you have your arrangements all figured out, and great that your stay won't be very long. I'm sure it will be nice to have your parents and your husband with you and helping you during your recovery. That was smart of you to take off winter quarter. Best wishes -- and I'll be praying for you. You'll do great!
      71 and plugging along... but having some problems
      2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
      5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
      Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
      CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
      10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Rosie,

Best of luck to you for a successful surgery and an uneventful and rapid recovery period. Getting a new back for Christmas is probably the biggest present you will ever receive!

Linda
        Linda
        Two-stage A/P fusion T6-S1 with lumbar implants June 12 & June 27, 2007 at age 57
        S curve 75+ degrees with kyphosis
        Now 45 degrees and standing 3 inches taller!
        Dr. Frank Rand, New England Baptist Hospital, Boston

Comment

Rosie,

Best to you, hon ... Don't know what else to say other than you've made this choice as the best one for you, and you'll be in my thoughts until I see you post here post-op.

I look forward to seeing you write from the "other side"!

Best regards (and big hugs),
          Pam
          Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
          AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
          Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
          Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
          EMAIL ME

Comment

Good luck!

Hey Rosie,
            I will be thinking of you and praying for a smooth surgery and rapid recovery! You made the right decision so don't second guess yourself. My son had NO pain prior to his surgery.

Big hugs to you. You can do it!!!!

P.S. Don't know if you already have some, but Chapstick is a must.
            Lori

Mom to Christopher, age 17, Mark, 13, Heather, 10 and Michael, 8
            Chris had surgery with Dr. John Flynn at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia on December 12, 2007. He is fused T4 to L4.
            Dr. Flynn is an AMAZING surgeon!

Comment

All the best to you, Rosie. Good wishes and prayers sent your way. What a bummer to spend Christmas in the hospital though.

Chris

Comment

Just think of it as your Christmas present to yourself - grow an inch or two, clothes will fit better, not to mention stopping progression and maybe future pain. And how lucky to have a new husband there who will take good care of his new bride!!

I have another post-op appt. with Dr. Wagner end of February/beginning of March, so maybe we will cross paths at some point.

Wishing you all the VERY best, a Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year!!
                31 year old female
                55* (day of surgery) thoracic curve w/compensatory lumbar
                T4-T12 on Aug 15, 2007

MRI, pre-surgery
                Xray, 3 mos. post-op
                Machu Picchu, 8 mos. post-op

Comment

Luck!

Rosie -

You know I'll be thinking of you, and you know you'll do great. I can't wait to hear how it goes for you, so we can compare notes. You're totally prepared. You know where to find me if you need any reassurance!
                  2000 34*L/39*T
                  2007 44*L/53*T

12.3.07 Posterior Spinal Fusion T4-T12
                  (initially planned T4-L1)
                  12.18.07 11*L/10*T

23 years old

Comment

Working...
                  X