I'm (almost) ready!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm (almost) ready!

Ok folks, I've tried my best but my house is still a mess and I leave for NYC tomorrow. But at least my remodeled bedroom looks pretty good - the new furniture was delivered today and I'll have Circuit City deliver the flat-screen tv once I am home again.

The last couple weeks have been a roller-coaster: I had been pretty good at staying focused on what I wanted to accomplish, but it turned out the bathroom fixtures had to be special ordered, the ottoman I ordered to match the new chair hasn't arrived (but they kindly offered to deliver a green ottoman instead of the nougat-colored one I ordered etc.

But the coup de grace was today when Dr. B's nurse e-mailed me that the 1 pint of blood I managed to donate, which had to be frozen because I gave it before my surgery date got pushed back 3 weeks, was rejected by the NY Blood Center that freezes blood because my unit was (wrongfully) labeled "contaminated." The local blood bank lab that runs all the tests contaminated my sample (not my unit of blood) with the Hepatitis C virus and marked the entire unit as "contaminated"; my own doctor had all the tests done again and they, not surprisingly, came up negative. Lindy told me that HSS wouldn't care even if I were positive because it's my own blood. But because the blood had to be frozen, the NY Blood Center refused to freeze it. Lindy explained to them that the sample had been contaminated and I really am negative, but the NYBC said "sorry, it's policy." Can you believe how Kafka-esque this autologous donation process is? I made 7 attempts to donate, succeeded in only given a half unit, which was thrown out, then the full unit, a sample of which was contaminated in some lab and now that unit also is being thrown out. And I'm now out-of-pocket about $500 for the processing & shipping costs and will still have to rely on donor blood (I'm not worried about the quality of the donor blood, but it really pisses me that I spent so much time for the 7 visits and have nothing to show for it due to the incompetance / poor quality control in a lab where the workers probably don't care that their sloppy work has such consequences - several nurses have told me that lab contamination is not that uncommon.) and

Thanks all for allowing me to vent.

I probably will not check in to the forum after Wednesday as I plan to do some serious eating, drinking, and shopping in Macy's toy department before 12/26.

I deeply appreciate all the support and help I have received from all of you who have taken the time to share your experiences.

Janet
    As of 12/25/07, age 62, 100* thoracic kyphosis, 73* L1-S1 lordosis, 37*/25* compensatory S-curve scoliosis. On 12/26/07, Dr. Boachie @ HSS NYC did 11 hours ant. & post. procedures, fused T2-L2, kyphosis now 57*, scoli 10*. Regained 2 1/4 inches in height!! Improving every day.

Luck!

Janet,

Best of luck - you're as prepared as possible. Will look forward to hearing how it goes, and comparing notes!

You'll be great!
    2000 34*L/39*T
    2007 44*L/53*T

12.3.07 Posterior Spinal Fusion T4-T12
    (initially planned T4-L1)
    12.18.07 11*L/10*T

23 years old

Comment

I hear nougat's overrated - LOL ...

Deep breaths.

Go pound the pavement in NYC (don't forget to eat a TON of Baby Watson cheesecake and creme brulee - it's mandatory ... they won't ship!) and get your mind and soul ready.

(I LOVE NYC ... no place I'd rather energize before surgery ... weird, I know ...)

You're going to do fantastically, Janet, and rest assured you'll be in my thoughts.

Go kick some surgical a** (and make a copy of your notes for me, a'ight? ;-)

Best regards,
      Pam
      Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
      AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
      Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
      Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
      EMAIL ME

Comment

Janet-- you sound ready! You've gotten so much done! Just think of the big picture, and how much you have prepared for your recovery. Don't worry about your house-- it will have that comfortable, lived-in look to it when you return. The correct ottoman will arrive eventually, and "whoohoo"--you'll have the fun of enjoying your new flat screen tv as you recover! I'm really sorry about the whole blood ordeal. When you feel up to and have a desire, maybe you can write a letter of complaint and explain all that went wrong because of their ineptitude. Even if nothing happens from it, you might feel a little closure by that, and also you never know --it might help someone else "down the road."

So, do what you can to have a most enjoyable time in NYC. I've never been there, but if Pam says it's that great, I'm sure you can have a terrific time. Big city stores are soooo decorated up at Christmas-- I remember shopping in San Francisco as a girl... there was a store called The City of Paris (or something like that) that had a huge, beautiful Christmas tree that was in the central open area of the store and rose up and up through all the stories of the store. What a sight! And Macy's was a delight too. Have to admit I haven't been "big city shopping" in years though... Maybe you can find a little something for yourself in the toy department at Macy's too. Like a little stuffed animal companion to accompany you on your surgery and recovery adventure-- or some little hand puzzle thing to wile away the time. Whatever, enjoy the food, drink and shopping-- along with your son's company and your visit in Boston (I think that was it!)-- and your surgery will be over before you know it. I'll be thinking of you-- and praying for a successful surgery. Take care! Susie
        71 and plugging along... but having some problems
        2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
        5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
        Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
        CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
        10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Go get 'em, Janet. I'll be sending tons of positive vibes your way. If we can do it, you can too!!
          Chris
          A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
          Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
          Post-op curve: 12 degrees
          Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Janet,

All the best to you for a successful surgery and smooth recovery. Enjoy your holidays in New York. We’ll look forward to hearing from you when you’re back in California.

Good luck,

Chris

Comment

You'll do great Janet!! I can't wait to see the new you! Have a great time in New York/ Boston the next few days. We'll all be anxious to hear from you post-op!!
              Cathie

Comment

We will all be thinking of you, Good luck and God bless!!
                CarolS
                68 degree right lumbar scoliosis, mild kyphosis at L1-2
                Anterior/Posterior Correction, T8 to Sacrum, Sept 20th, 2007
                Osteotomy March 20,2008
                Thrilled with results!

Comment

All my best to you Janet, in surgery & a very smooth recovery.
                  Enjoy NYC in it's Christmas lights before! Lynne

Comment

Janet,

Safe travels to NYC. Enjoy your preop time there. Hope you will be able to look out the window on New Year's Eve and know that the new year will be a better one for you with less pain and more mobility. Happy New Year to you and your new body! Good Luck!!!

Linda
                    Linda
                    Two-stage A/P fusion T6-S1 with lumbar implants June 12 & June 27, 2007 at age 57
                    S curve 75+ degrees with kyphosis
                    Now 45 degrees and standing 3 inches taller!
                    Dr. Frank Rand, New England Baptist Hospital, Boston

Comment

Good luck, Janet, we will be thinking of you!

Comment

Finally, huh? And I'm so glad to hear of your plans for the days before surgery; can't beat shopping in New York!

I'm sorry to hear about all the complications with the blood donation - what a lot to have to deal with on top of all the other anxieties of this surgery.

You know we will all be waiting to hear from you, and wishing you all the best. Merry Christmas Janet!
                        31 year old female
                        55* (day of surgery) thoracic curve w/compensatory lumbar
                        T4-T12 on Aug 15, 2007

MRI, pre-surgery
                        Xray, 3 mos. post-op
                        Machu Picchu, 8 mos. post-op

Comment

It's just about midnight Wednesday - just got back to the hotel after a long day. Slept in after yesterday's long travel day (plane was full so I was squished in a middle seat - ugh!)

Today I got to see much of Manhattan, which I enjoy so much (I grew up just across the Hudson in New Jersey). We walked cross-town from York Avenue, on the East River, to 5th Avenue, then walked all the way from 73rd down to Macy's at 34th & Broadway, at least 3 miles, which was great until my lower back started hurting. Fifth Ave was so glam - all the stores dressed up in holiday colors. Started to rain but that did not concern me. Stopped at Rockefeller Center to see the tree and the skating rink - funny how when I was a child I thought the ice rink was huge - seeing it now, in reality, it is quite small - smaller than the Iceland in Berkeley!

Likewise, Macy's toy department brought back sweet memories - but doggonit - it, too, was much smaller than I remembered it to be. We took a break and spent a couple hours in Macy's cellar, at the bar - that was more fun than the toy departmnet.

The pre-ops are tomorrow and it will be a long day, then a taxi ride to Penn Station to go to Boston. Keeping busy is what I need right now - getting a bit weepy from time to time.

Thanks for your good wishes. I'll be back on the forum as soon as possible.
                          As of 12/25/07, age 62, 100* thoracic kyphosis, 73* L1-S1 lordosis, 37*/25* compensatory S-curve scoliosis. On 12/26/07, Dr. Boachie @ HSS NYC did 11 hours ant. & post. procedures, fused T2-L2, kyphosis now 57*, scoli 10*. Regained 2 1/4 inches in height!! Improving every day.

Comment

Good Luck

Wishing you the best. You're where I wish I was in my life right now but I'm still waiting to see if I can get the surgery. I've got the 62" TV and the PS3 along with my laptop and over 500 DVD's so I'm ready for whatever happens. Good Luck and Merry Christmas to you and yours.
                            Male age 42
                            Dix at 12 Milwaukee brace 13 to 15
                            right thoracic curve @ 65*
                            left lumbar curve @ 35*
                            L3-4 endplate degenerative changes
                            left sided disc protrusion at L4-5 hittin the L4 nerve root
                            Cervical,Thoracic and Lumbar degenerative disc disease

Comment

God bless you and good luck. You will be in my prayers daily. I want the details when you come home girl since I am following in your footsteps. Krysi

Comment

Working...
                              X