Pre and post op xrays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre and post op xrays

Sheena's about 4 1/2 weeks post op and has been doing pretty good the past 3 days with minimal pain and being more like her old self. I'm amazed at how quickly the body can heal. I'm so proud of how she's handled herself as I'm sure any parent is who's had to go through this with their child.
    Last edited by Sherie; 12-17-2007, 09:16 PM.

Wow! I'm so impressed! My post-op is tomorrow, so hopefully I'll post my before/after soon. She must look amazing!
    2000 34*L/39*T
    2007 44*L/53*T

12.3.07 Posterior Spinal Fusion T4-T12
    (initially planned T4-L1)
    12.18.07 11*L/10*T

23 years old

Comment

It looks like Sheena got great correction. Her spine looks very straight. I'm so glad she's feeling better. It's amazing how quickly these kids heal. Congratulations!
      Laurie

Mother of Alexander & Zachary:
      Alex is 16 years old and in the 11th grade. He has congenital scoliosis due to a hemivertebrae at T10. Wore a TLSO brace for 3 1/2 years. Pre-op curves were T45 & L65; curves post-op are approx. T31 & L34. Had a posterior spinal fusion from T8 to L3 on 7/12/07 at age 12. Doing great now in so many ways, but still working on improving posture.
      Zach is 13 years old and very energetic.

Comment

Lookin' good! Thanks for sharing, Sherie. I'm very happy to hear Sheena is doing well and recovering nicely. Many more thoughts and well wishes for continued success. Happy Holidays to you and your family.
        Carmell
        mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

Thanks guys. I'm so happy to be "on the other side", it's the unknown that's frightening. Now that I can see for myself that her life can continue as before (with the added bonus of a beautiful figure plus 2.5") I'm at peace with it all.

Let us know how your post op appt. goes vndy.

Happy holidays to everyone, it's all the more meaningful to us this year!

Comment

Sherie,

Sheena looks absolutely fabulous! Dr. Lenke did a fantastic job!

Hugs,
            Lori

Mom to Christopher, age 17, Mark, 13, Heather, 10 and Michael, 8
            Chris had surgery with Dr. John Flynn at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia on December 12, 2007. He is fused T4 to L4.
            Dr. Flynn is an AMAZING surgeon!

Comment

Amazing!

Wow Sherie,
              Those x-rays are amazing! It never ceases to amaze me what the doctor's can do, and like you said, how wonderfully the teenagers can heal and so quickly. Amanda's correction was not quite that good, she had the compensetory lumbar that they left alone, and it straightened out nicely, her throacic was very rigid the doctors said and they fused the T2-T11.

Amanda had her surgery the same day as Shena, and has been back to school this week full time.. how's Shena doing with all the homework catchup? We were going to do 504/homebound, but they didn't have any teachers that could do homebound for all pre-ap classes she's in.. so that was not very helpful. Her teachers are being nice, and she'll be doing homework the whole Christmas break, but hey, she gets her first 'straight' summer in a bikini, with no brace, and the scar will be reduced by then.
              Mary - Merry Christmas to All

Comment

Just a question about the system used

Sherie

Could you tell me the name of the system that the surgeon used in this case?
                I mean the hardware and also the way of fusion.

Greetings

Carlos

Comment

Sheena looks great, what a great correction! I know the relief of being on "the other side", and it is immense. It is totally amazing what these kids get through, and so gratifying to see them looking so good afterwards. I'm glad to hear she did so well.

Merry Christmas!

Comment

Thanks everyone. It's a HUGE relief to be through with surgery and also not to be thinking of scoliosis 24/7.

Mary
                    I'm so glad to hear from you. I can't believe your daughter was ready to go back to school already, Sheena still gets fatigued easily and has some minor pain in her lower back. Your daughter's very lucky she didn't have to get her lower back fused. Sheena's still trying to catch up with school work but she will also be working over the Christmas break. She did get a lot done already and had a tutor for a week. She's also in pre-ap but the teacher's are being sensitive to her situation. Take care!

Carlos
                    I'm sorry I didn't get the name of the hardware, all I know is it's stainless steel. You can probably tell from the xrays, he used screws in every vertebrae, both sides for a total of 26 and cross connectors at the top and bottom of the rods. He used BMP plus bone from the decortication for the fusion material.

Comment

Terrific

I am so happy with Sheena's results, as I know you are. Thinking of you and will stay in touch! You are an inspiration to all with all your research, and postings, and replies. Hope you, Sheena, and your family have a Happy New Year!
                      Shirley
                      Mom to Amanda, 18, Scoliosis T58, previous Spinecor bracing for 9 months before diagnosed with Chiari I CM, and Syringomyelia (Syrinx) SM. CM/SM decompression surgery 12/4/06, Spinal fusion surgery with titanium rods and hardware and full correction 8/1/07 at Texas Scottish Rite Hospital for Children.

Also mom to Megan, 14, with diagnosis PDD-NOS on the autism spectrum

Comment

*jaw drops*
                        THAT IS AMAZING

u r so lucky

i dont need surgery but u r so lucky the surgery went so well thats wonderful
                        Danielle
                        14 Freshwoman
                        December 1st got no head the boston brace
                        Pre Brace Curves:18C 25T 30L
                        In brace curves: (1/23/08) 16C 20T 22L
                        In brace Curves: (5/21/08) 19C 19T 15L
                        We're Bringing CURVY BACK

Comment

I've probably said it multiple times, in multiple venues, but *OMG*, Sherie and Sheena, that is SO fantastic!

I cannot get over what a gorgeous job Lenke did on the sagittal bending. Makes that trip out of Houston - for a surgeon who fit YOUR needs -worth more than any value you could assign! ;-))))

Best regards,
                          Pam
                          Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
                          AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
                          Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
                          Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                          EMAIL ME

Comment

Working...
                          X