• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Curves-Need Surgery?

Here is my information:

T5 - L1 = 53 degree curve

T10 - L3 = 16 degree curve

Age 25, Male

And I been progressing a little by little... ever since I found out when I was 17. Would I need a surgery? I really wish to avoid surgery at all costs, but... will this affect my breathing and lung capacity soon?

Hi. I'm 25 too, but a female. I have a 47 degree curve that is progressing and my doctor wants me to have surgery within the next 18 months. He said if I wait longer than that, my curves will greatly increase more and more and he won't be able to get as good of a correction as he would now (less than 10 degrees). It seems to depend on the doctor, but if you're progressing and your curve is already over 50 degrees, you would probably be recommended for surgery. A curve can effect heart and lung function when the curvature is severe (I think above 70 degrees, not sure though.)

Good luck!
    Chemist, 30

1998- 18 degrees
    2003- 33 degrees
    2005- 37 degrees
    2006- 44 degrees
    May 2007- 47 degrees
    December 2007 - 50 degrees X-ray

Surgery May 27, 2008
    Fused T1 to L2
    Curve corrected to 15 degrees X-ray

Comment

To answer your question, yes, scoliosis does affect your pulmonary function, no matter how small the curve, and it gets progressively worse as the curves increase. See my recent post in another thread, where I cite some clinical literature on the subject:

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showthread.php?t=6590

On your primary question: I would have surgery after every reasonable alternative fails. Read some testimonies and information in this forum about the Schroth physical therapy program. It is based partly on breathing exercises which both derotate the spine and increase vital capacity, typically by as much as 20 percent.
      Last edited by Writer; 12-18-2007, 12:26 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X