PDA

View Full Version : Anterior and Posterior Surgery

Worriedmom
06-15-2004, 08:57 PM
My 10 year old daughter will be having surgery in August 2002 for Anterior and posterior, double major scoliosis. Has anyone had this surgery or has your child gone through this surgery? Can you tell me the outcome, how the child felt, how long it took to recover? Any information would be appreciated. I can't seem to find any person who has undergone both anterior and posterior surgery. Thanks for any help you can give me.

spincon58
06-16-2004, 12:10 AM
Dear worried mom....I believe U can search the archives and find this info or a recent post about Amber who just had succesful surgery he mom did a fantistic job detailing every step of the way.....which doctor are u using for your daughters surgery?

mumof5
06-16-2004, 01:59 AM
Hi! This is Amber's mum.
Amber's surgery was done all in one go through the back. Right before the surgery the surgeon was trying to decide if he should go from both ways or not. I'm mean the decision was made they put the mask on her face to put her off to sleep. He explained to me why the different options. For us it would have meant two seperate surgeries. One then, stay a week or so to recover maybe go home for a week, come back have the other surgery, then another week or so recovery. The problem was low in her back. He ended up pleased with the outcome.
Where are your daughters curves? This may make a difference to the hows and whys.
I hope this has helped but please feel free to ask anything either here or send me a personal message.
Cheryl.

Carmell
06-16-2004, 02:07 PM
Hi Worriedmom,

Welcome to the board. I hope you have all of your questions answered so your anxiety will not be so bad. Surgery of any kind is not an easy decision, but scoliosis surgery is one of the harder ones to deal with, IMHO.

My 9yr old son was born with severe congenital scoliosis. At age 11 months, he had anterior/posterior fusion surgery. The anterior surgery is harder to recover from than "just" posterior surgery because they have to go through the ribs (usually remove a rib, depending on how high the fusion needs to be). They also have to move the internal organs out of the way, which takes time to heal from. Sometimes they do these two surgeries over a couple of days, because they can take a long time. Braydon's surgery was done the same day, and took about 6 hours total. He was a TINY baby, so that makes a difference too. A thoracic or general surgeon has to be present to do an anterior surgery.

Is the surgery scheduled for August of this year? Your post said 2002, so I'm a little confused... (which isn't unusual) You said she is 10yrs old. She is VERY young to be having fusion surgery. Have you gotten other opinions? Are they ANY other options you've been told about? Does she have good lung function? Is her scoliosis in her thoracic (middle) spine? It is so important to make sure this is the right option for her.

I wish you the best. I'd be happy to share more of our experiences with you, if you'd like. Take care

Worriedmom
06-17-2004, 11:10 PM
I want to thank all of you for being so kind as to post information for me.
First, this was my first time on this site and I tried to correct the date of my daughter's surgery, and apparently, it did not work. The surgery will be August 2004.

Connie, my daughter will be having the surgery at Childrens Hospital of New York Presbyterian.

Cheryl, Amber's mom, I have not checked your entire story out as yet, but I was so grateful you answered this thread. My daughter had a congential problem just discovered this May in the apex of the thoracic area, which produced this 78 percent curve. Her spine compensated to 74 percent lumbar region. She has had her MRI, abdominal songogram, cardiogram, long x rays, etc. Except for these curves, all other areas seem to be fine. The greatest concern put upon me was to do it now, while she is still young and growing. It was fully explained to me that they would first do the anterior with bone graft and if she is holding up OK, they would turn her over and start the posterior. If they find any distress, they will stop with the anterior and we would stay in the hospital until she recovers from the first and then they would go back to do the posterior. It is my hope that she is strong enough to do both. I really do not want her to endure two surgeries or anthesthesia procedures. The risks were discussed numerous times. None, of which, is comforting. Thank you so much for caring and answering.

Carmel, your story moved me a great deal. Thank you for responding to my questions. I answered some of your questions above, with Cheryl. I did seek a second opinion and he is affiliated with 8 hospitals in New York City area. He completely concurred with the original surgeon and even stated that if his daughter had to have this particular surgery, he would send her to him. He is the one, however, who raised more concerns to me by stating that this surgery is rare, meaning, double major with almost 80 percent on each curve. My daughter has good lung function, and everything else. She has been active in several sports, swimming, soccer, etc. This all seem to come out this year. It clotheslined me in May. I thought maybe a brace and then each doctor said she is way beyond bracing. They are putting aside 12 hours for the surgery. Of course, you need to shave 1 and a half hours off the beginning for set up and the end, but that's a lot of hours. I will be meeting with him again shortly, with more questions. Did you child need Procrit? Injections once per week to build up the red blood count to reduce the need for transfusions? Thank you so much for writing to me. It is such a comfort to not feel so alone. The more I hear of cases and their outcomes, the better I feel. Don't get me wrong, my fingernails are in the ceiling as I pray all goes well.
If anyone else has more information, I would really appreciate hearing from you. Thank you all and God Bless!

Carmell
06-18-2004, 01:34 PM
Hi again,

Thanks for sharing the details. My other question was going to ask about her lung function - you said she had great lung function - that's GREAT news. Has she had an official pulminary function test to make sure the numbers are as good as she looks? I hope so...

Email me, and I will send you a pic of a 7yr old girl who weighs only 36 pounds. She JUST had this same type of surgery - anterior/posterior fusion. She also had a spinal cord de-tether done at the same time. She didn't qualify for the kind of surgery my son has, because she's too healthy! She has excellent lung function. So, the parents went ahead with the fusion surgery. My only fear is that her body will want to grow more, and the fusion will prevent that. Hopefully I'm worried needlessly.

My email is boulderfam@hotmail.com

Again, I wish you the best. August will be here before you know it! Please keep us posted.

Peggy
06-21-2004, 10:52 PM
Hi Worried Mom,
My daughter had a double curve also but only had the posterior surgery performed. She did great and is now almost 10 weeks post-op. She gave 4 units of blood and took 4 injections of procrit before surgery. She received back 2 units of blood during the surgery and one after in intensive care. She also took iron pills starting 8 weeks before surgery to build up her blood. We all know how tough the days are leading up to surgery. Stay positive. Everything will work out and she will be straight and healthy! Take care.

Worriedmom
06-21-2004, 11:41 PM
Peggy,

Thank you so much for your reply and information on your daughter. I have been given the schedule for iron and procrit and I have asked about blood. They do not want to take blood from her for fear of weakening her prior to surgery. As for the 10 week post op, I'm very interested to hear how your daughter is doing. I'm told there will be a check up in 2 weeks and 6 weeks. How is your daughter feeling? I met a woman in my daughter's school in the 7th grade who had a 58 percent curve (one) and had the surgery June 1st and I saw the daughter walking around as if no surgery were performed June 17th. I was so delighted to see this. How is your daughter? I hope she is OK.
WorriedMom

Worriedmom
06-21-2004, 11:47 PM
Dear Peggy,

I did not go on line for a few days. I read your last reply to me and my daughter has great pulminary function. I'd rather not see the picture of the 36 lb. girl with the same type of surgery. I never heard of fusion surgery stopping growth. I have spoken with a woman who had the surgery 20 years ago when she was 11 years old and it did not stop her growth at all. However, being that this girl you speak of is only 36 lbs, there may be different circumstances. I hope she will be all right. Thanks for your words of comfort.

choliesmom
06-22-2004, 09:47 AM
Dear Worried Mom,
My Cholie is having the same type of surgery in October to correct her 85 degree curve. We are in Cleveland so will be at Rainbows. I understand how you feel. This forum is excellent. They have helped me so much when I thought I had to decide whether or not to have the procedure done until we discovered how much her spine actually curved. My Cholie is 12 and will be 13 in November. Keep in touch and let us know how things went.
Cholie's Mom

Worriedmom
06-25-2004, 08:58 PM
I will not forget. I even put a reminder on the computer calendar to advise you in case, with all that will be going on, that it slips my mind.

paulasue2
06-25-2004, 09:30 PM
Hi, Worried Mom,

Just wanted to add my little bit here. My now-17-year-old daughter had double fusion to correct 63/50 degree curves on March 18th of this year. She was corrected to 27 and about 10 degrees and she is pretty much back to her old life (although with many temporary restrictions against certain kinds of activities that your daughter's doctor will outline for you). She is working at Circuit City, takes a class at the local community college, is volunteering at the hospital where her surgery was performed (giving moral support to other scoliosis surgery patients) works out on a limited basis at the local health club, drives, parties and generally is just a normal teenager. Her posture is absolutely wonderful and the scar is fading. The biggest problem now is in making sure she avoids doing the things that she is not supposed to be doing yet. Other than that, all is well and we are enormously grateful. We did not have to deal with the issue of growth limitation, however, and that is one thing that I would suggest you do a bit of research on. The National Library of Medicine website at

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi

is quite helpful for general research on any number of topics, and you might find some information there. Good luck and keep the faith. Paula

Peggy
06-26-2004, 11:26 PM
Hi Worried Mom,
It wasn't my post about the 36lb. girl! My daughter is doing very well. As for the girl you saw 16 days after surgery, she must have been miraculous! It has been 10 weeks and 2 days since my daughter's surgery. She has no pain to speak of, every once in a while she says something bugs her for a little bit. Hasn't taken so much as motrin for weeks. She played putt-putt with her dad and sister and did great. Didn't bend at all, her little sister had the ball collection job, :) but she said the next day she was a little sore. But it couldn't have been much because she mentioned it ONCE. This past week is the first time that I have had to tell her watch it in that she was bending down a little much. And to me that is a great sign that she is getting back to normal. I know your daughter will do great. It is a nightmare that never seems to end pre-surgery. But once the surgery is finished it is just such a relief and you just take one day at a tiime and thank God it is over. There is not a day that goes by that I don't look at her and let out a long relief breath. Best of luck to you and hang tough. Things will work out and soon hopefully you can put this all behind you. Take care and all our wishes and prayers are with you.

Hi PaulaSue!
Glad to hear your daughter is out and about and back to normal! We are so lucky. Take care!

mumof5
06-27-2004, 09:47 PM
Peggy,
It's so good to hear that everything is back on track. I hoped it would just be a matter of time for her. Can you please explain to us the American school year. When school is in and when holidays are. It seems so different to what we have.
Best wishes.
Cheryl.

Worriedmom
06-28-2004, 01:35 AM
Paulasue2

Thank yo so much. I'm so grateful for your information and to know how well your daughter is doing. God Bless Her!

Worriedmom
06-28-2004, 01:41 AM
Peggy,

I am so sorry for the mix up regarding the 36 lb girl. I should have been answering Carmell. I usually go on the computer late and exhausted. It is 1:30 AM right now.
I'm so glad your daughter is feeling so good. My daughter's surgeon said six weeks for her, but I'll believe it when I see it. You read my mind and heart regarding "a nightmare that never seems to end pre-surgery." I feel as if I cannot exhale any more. I keep looking at her back and can't believe what they must do to my baby. I know all of you know what I'm talking about. I'm so glad I found this place to talk to all of you. Your words bring me comfort and hope. Thank you for your prayers. Again, I'm so pleased your daughter is doing so well.

Peggy
06-29-2004, 11:32 PM
No reason to apologize! Take a deep breath and picture your daughter home back to her old self and all this behind her. When I got crazy it would help me to envision the doctor coming out after surgery and saying how well everything went and the relief that would come with it. I pictured my daughter returning to her favorite activities and laughing and joking again. And of course lots of hours of prayers. Hang tough and be sure and let us know when you get a date set. We all know where you are coming from. This board does help you keep your sanity. Take care. Happy thoughts!

mumof5
06-30-2004, 12:00 AM
The waiting is the hardest part.
When it is all over and you are back home, the days will go by so fast that you'll really have to think hard to work out how long it's been since the surgery. You'll look back at your old posts and think I can't believe I was feeling all that just a few weeks ago.
Best wishes.
Cheryl.

paulasue2
06-30-2004, 09:13 PM
Hi, Peggy,

Thanks for your greeting! Life has been flying by and I don't have time to come on line as often as I used to. I am so glad to hear that your daughter's recovery is coming along so well. You are right - we are so lucky. God bless! Paula

Worriedmom
06-30-2004, 10:52 PM
Peggy,
Thanks. The date is August 11th. I do try everything you mentioned, including spending more time with her and trying to do fun things. Thanks again.

Worriedmom
06-30-2004, 10:53 PM
Mum of 5, Cheryl,
Thank you. I can't wait to be feeling that way!

nanmccune
07-03-2004, 03:46 PM
My daughter had surgery for double major scoliosis with curves of 74 and 76 degrees in October 2002, she was 11 years old at the time. She has grown some since her surgery, but will not grow through the region that the rods are holding, which is from her neck to her waist. I was not told that this would effct her growth until after her surgery. Luckily, my daughter was tall to begin with. If you have questions concerning your daughter's growth, as them before, as I did not do. Natalie is doing great and still an excellent athlete 1.75 years after surgery.

Worriedmom
07-12-2004, 10:59 PM
Dear Nanmccune,

Thank you so much for your post. You are the first person to say that their child had a double major with similar degrees of my daughter and of similar age. My daughter is 10. I did not know about the growth element you spoke about. I must ask the surgeon and staff. Thank you so much for the pointer. How is everything with Natalie? Did she take long to recover? I'm getting such mixed information with regards to recovery. I know each child or teen is an individual, but some say it is quick and others much longer than expected. The answers I'm receiving are not necessary of this chat arena. I have found other sites with other concerned moms or teens. Again, thank you so much for your help. I would like to know if the recovery time seemed longer than what the surgeon said. Right now, he's telling me that Jess will be out for about 6 weeks before returning to school. Thanks again for any reply.
Worried mom

nanmccune
07-13-2004, 08:51 AM
Worriedmom,

Natalie is doing great. She recovered faster than I thought possible. The hardest part was stopping her from doing things before the doctor released her. Exactly 6 months after her surgery, Natalie talked the doctor into letting her play softball. I doubt that he knew exactly how aggressively she would play, such as sliding, pitching(fastpitch), and playing shortstop for 2 teams. She was in a lot of pain after games and practices because of her back muscles being cut, but she was determined that the surgery was not going to stop her from playing. She continued to have pain off and on for almost a year, which she controlled with ibuprofen (800mg). Natalie very seldom has back pain now, and it usually happens when the weather changes. She does lean to one side occasionally when she is very tired, but is much improved from before her surgery. Her bellybutton was 2 inches off center from her twist before surgery, and is back to center, so we know that her correction is still holding. She still plays for two softball teams and is on an all-star team that is undefeated going into the district championship. I keep thinking how great it would be for other scoliosis sufferers to see someone post surgery play in the world series, but that is a month and about 5 wins away, I'll surely post for all to see if they make it so that other patients can watch and see that life can return to normal if you make it happen.

Nanmccune

mumof5
07-13-2004, 06:08 PM
Natalie is such an inspiration. I hope they make it through.

Worriedmom;
Amber went back to school after almost 7 weeks. She has had a great recovery. But did find sitting for very long hard. I wrote about it on the thread; worried mum from Australia. She has been on school holidays for the last week and a half. School goes back on July 19th. She is looking forward to going and trying to last more than a morning. It is a very individual thing and it really does depend on where the fusion is as to what you can do. Amber had a few problems with her hips that I hadn't known about ( she is fused from T4 to L4), but she is much better now. It has been 9 weeks today since her surgery. She still gets tired easily and 'hunches' over when she is physically very tired. She has even managed to shave her own legs, very important for the older girls! The only 'bathroom' thing she hasn't done yet is have a bath. She says she will stick to having a shower. I think she's worried about getting stuck in the bath and me not being able to help get her out.
Amber turned 15 a few weeks ago and has stopped growing. I have heard of the surgery being done so that the rods can be extended as the patient grows. Ask if this could be an option for your daughter.
I have also had a look at another 'forum' and this one is so much better. The people here give much better advice and support. Three cheers to everyone here.
Best wishes.
Cheryl.

Worriedmom
07-17-2004, 12:14 PM
Dear Nanmccune,

I'm so glad to hear that Natalie is doing so good and thank you so much for the detailed update. Jessica loves soccer and swimming and was crying when she heard she would not be able to do these in the Fall, but I reassured her that with the surgery she could do them for the rest of her life. I will be cheering your daughter on from a far! Thanks again for all of your advice and information.

Worriedmom
07-17-2004, 12:29 PM
Dear Mumof 5, Cheryl,

I'm glad to hear that Amber is feeling better. Thank you so much for the information and the details. I just learned that Jess will have fusion on T-5 and then L2 and L3 and possibly L-4 and L-5. Her surgeon is well aware that I do not want the last bone fused due to lack of mobility later. He agrees that he will avoid it if possible, but that some of these decisions are made during the operation itself. He needs to see the horizontal balance once he's in there. With the grace of God, he will not touch the last bones. He and I discussed that because she is so young, we very possibly can wait to see if it holds well. I rather give her a chance, if there is option to do so. In terms of growing, I asked about if the fusion would prevent her from growing and was told that only in the fused areas this would happen, but her thoracic area is already fully grown and 40 percent of her height will come from her legs, knees, etc. I was also told that no future surgeries would be needed in this area if it holds, for any reason.
I'd like to know your opinion or anyone else's on this statement.
I do not blame your daughter for fear of getting out of the tub. I think I'd be worried as well! I also heard from a 22 year old girl who just had posterior done and she said that the shower hurt when she first had to bathe and that the removeable shower head to wash was easier so that she could avoid the area. What is your opinion?
Thank you again for all of your help.

Worriedmom
07-17-2004, 12:33 PM
Karen Ocker,

Hi. I have tried to ask for help as to how I can reply to your wonderful, profound and inspiring email to me, but could not get help in doing so. I cannot thank you enough. I will remember your story always.
WorriedMom

mumof5
07-17-2004, 06:44 PM
Hi Worriedmom,
Amber is getting better and better everyday, it's hard too believe that the surgery was only 9 and 1/2 weeks ago.
Amber's surgeon was unsure about her L4 and L5 as she had a 45 degree rotation. Due to her age etc he didn't want to go to L5 but he did say that although unlikely there is still the posibility of needing further surgery to extend into this area. That would be apparent around the 12 month mark. As I understand it the curves that are left above and below Amber's fusion will be corrected by the fusion as time goes on, the fusion will "pull them straight". The surgeon said 'works in theory and usually works in practice but it is not 100% gauranteed'. It depends on the degree of curve and rotation. He took the wait and see approach and was pleased with the amount of correction that they achieved. He said it would be better this way rather than go further unnecessarily. That is why the kids have so may post-op checks, to keep a check on how the rest of it is going as well as checking on the fusion.
We used a hand held shower head for the first few weeks. It was so much easier. We also had a plastic garden chair as well. The first week home I helped Amber to shower, with the fusion being high it hurt her to lift her arms above her head, I washed her hair and did whatever she couldn't. The hand held shower head meant that I could direct the water where I wanted it and washing her hair was easier.
A funny thing that happened to us (well I can laugh now) At the hospital during Amber's first shower she asked if I could do it rather than the nurses. Everyone agreed. (Amber was still on a lot of morphine). Well I asked her to hang on to the shower head for me (I can't remember why) and she 'hosed' me head to toe. I ended up wetter than she did. She doesn't even remember it.
Amber has been using a regular shower head for the past 6 weeks or so. We have two showers so I can have both set up and she can use either. It didn't take very long for her to be able to lift her arms although it takes her a little longer (she can't hold them up for too long at a time) but she is getting quicker all the time.
I don't know how much difference T4 (Amber) and T5 will make. It will be interesting to see. Amber also had ribs removed that I assume made a difference as well.
I hope this has helped you some.
Best wishes.
Cheryl.

TiarnansMom
07-18-2004, 10:22 PM
Hi, I'm new here but thought I'd post here first because my son, who's 4 now, went through an anterior/posterior spinal fusion at 5 months old.

He had a rare rapidly progressing spinal kyphosis, so that's a bit different than double scoliosis. He had a bone graft put in and was in a full body cast for 7 months.

I'm not sure how it will be for a 10 year old, but let me just tell you to ask the doctors tons of questions. (I'm not sure if your daughter has undergone the surgery yet or not) Because my son had a problem after the surgery where his bone graft 'shifted' a bit from holding him up, due to the fact that the bone graft was stronger than his other vertabrae. It resulted in a 30 degree bend, but that was better than the 60 degree bend he started with. But then again, a ten year old's vertabrae is a lot more formed than a 5 month old's.

I wish your daughter the best with her surgery.

Worriedmom
07-24-2004, 11:22 AM
Dear TiarnansMom,

Hi, and thank you for your note. I have been asking tons of questions and every mother here on this forum have been wonderful and full of good information. I really hope your son is doing better. My daughter will have her surgery August 11, 2004.
Take care and again, I hope your son is doing better.
Worried Mom

Worriedmom
08-02-2004, 12:03 PM
Hi Mumof5, Nanmccone, Peggy, Choliesmom, Carmell, TiarnansMom, Paulasue2,

I hope you all receive this message. I don't know if I'll go on again prior to my daughter's surgery. It's so close and I'm a bundle of nerves at the moment, but I wanted to let all of you know the good news.
The surgeon called me two days ago and he reviewed the case with his partner again and found the risk to be so slight as to NOT to have the Anterior portion of this operation and just the posterior. I asked him, oh, maybe 40 more questions up and back and percentage of the risk vs. benefit. I agreed to just the posterior, which of course, reduces the operation time, transfusions, and the possibility of a second surgery within the week of the first one, if she didn't hold up for the front and back. My prayers are being answered and I'm so pleased to tell "my support team", all of you, the good news. Of course, we will see what happens. To summarize, the risk of possible failure in instrumentation with just posterior jumped from 2 percent to 7-8 percent within 6-9 months that something may come loose, but that also means that she has a 92 percent chance that it won't. Also, he hopes to bring the 78 percent curve to 30 percent (maybe less) with posterior alone. The anterior/posterior would have brought it to 20-25 percent, so for another 5-10 percent, I still felt the risk was fine. This did not mean further fusion, additional fusion on any level, etc. Please pray all will go well. I carry each and everyone of you in my heart and thank God you are there for advice and comfort and this site has been wonderful for me. Take care. I will follow up when I can.
Worriedmom

mumof5
08-02-2004, 05:14 PM
That is wonderful news. It's a lot less for you to worry about. For that much difference in correction I would have gone posterior only as well.
Good luck with the surgery. I'm sure everything will go well.
Best wishes.
Cheryl.

Worriedmom
08-07-2004, 11:44 AM
Mum of 5

Thanks. I'm so nervous. The clock is ticking and it's only a few days away. I'll update when I have the chance.
Worried Mom

Jeannie924
08-10-2004, 02:37 PM
Hello all, I have been reading many posts for 4 months now and I am so overwhelmed! Everyone is so supportive and I thank you all in advance. My daughter Jessika is 12 1/2 and having spinal fussion surgery September 1. She is disabled. Prader Willi Syndrome, mental retardation and slightly Autistic. She is actually excited about surgery. I am worried that she will have a tantrum in the hospital or when we come home and harm herself. Is there help at home? The hospital told me that the discharge nurse will take care of things. So, I wait untill we are about to leave the hospital? Also, how long is the stay? I read that some people take Iron pills, her Dr. never mentioned it. I do not know what Jessika's lung capacity is, but she is not that active. (favorite things are Math workbooks and puzzles!:) ) She is my sunshine and I want to make sure that this is all right. Her curves are 62 and 40. We have gone to 4 different Dr.'s and they have all said surgery. Jessika takes Growth Hormone injections nightly to improve her muscle tone. Any advice will be greatly apreciated!

Thank you! ~Jeannie

Alison
08-11-2004, 10:30 AM
Hi Jeanine

It's pretty late at night where I am; so I'm sorry if what I write doesn't make sense or is a bit brief (I'll add to it later :-)

:The hospital is used to dealing with "standard" fusion patients, what I mean by this is a patient who is "normal" (in the sense of the word) and who doesn't have any other condition and that only standard things need to be thought about (can they shower ok, do they need a toilet seat raiser, what pain medication will they need etc). I believe that with Jessika's special needs you need to start "planning" now about when Jessika comes home. Could you liase with Jessika's "support team" (doctors, therapists , OT's etc) to come up with an overall game plan for when she comes home. Also to help work on Jessika's understanding of what it will be like when she comes home from surgery to the level that she can understand.

:Iron pills are often prescribed before (or in some cases after surgery), it is to increase or replenish the haemoglobbin in the body from what is lost in surgery. However it often depends on the individual patients case and the choice of the doctor. You might want to ask the doctor if they are needed in your daughter's case.

:The length of stay depends on lots of factors, the amount of surgery (just posterior or anterior and posterior), the patient's recovery. It is usually about a week to 10 days but it does very from person to person (often 4 days in high dependency care then the rest in "standard" care)

:Just thinking, is a test to test Jessika's lung capacity coming up, it is done to see what the patients lungs are like before surgery and to get baselines for in the theatre, (and its done regardless of activity or inactivity of the patient) and I would find it unusual that it's not being done.

I hope some of this helps

Alison

Worriedmom
08-28-2004, 12:59 PM
Dear Mumof5, Nanmccone, Peggy Sholiesmom, Carmell, Tiarnans Mom, Paulasue2

At last, Jessica's surgery is over. All of your advice was so helpful. The surgery was 9-10 hours. I was shocked when the surgeon, who only promised me 30 percent from the 78 percent curve, brought her spine to 15 percent. He has hands of gold. she is going through all that you have previously described. Sitting seems to be the worse problem at the moment. She's getting better every day. They put her out from school for 6 weeks, but of course, if she is able to tolerate it, I'd like to send her in for half days. I had previsouly told her new teacher the problem and the principal, but we learned over the summer, that the principal resigned, so isn't that nice! I'm sure it will all work out. Jess is bored to death with TV, gameboy, cardgames, etc., which is only proving to modivate her to do the physical therapy more. She will be going two times per week until October 1st. The therapist feels she will need more, but I will check with the surgeon during our 6 week check up and find out more. Could you get back to me and tell me about the scar cream and if it really works? I could really use this information. Thanks to all of you and this site for bringing us to sanity in the mist of horror.
Pat

mumof5
08-28-2004, 06:52 PM
Congratulations on the successful surgery and wonderful result. We have been using 'emu oil' on Amber's scar. (Occassionally). Amber likes her scar and doesn't want it to fade. It is healing really well even though she won't let me do much to it.
I hope that things keep going well for Jessica.
Best wishes.
Cheryl.

Worriedmom
09-09-2004, 08:11 PM
Dear Choliesmom,

I don't know if you read how my daughter's surgery came out. Excellent. I responded to all of you on page 3 of this thread page. Please let me know if you received. Also, when, in October, is the surgery?
Worried mom