Anterior and Posterior Surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anterior and Posterior Surgery

My 10 year old daughter will be having surgery in August 2002 for Anterior and posterior, double major scoliosis. Has anyone had this surgery or has your child gone through this surgery? Can you tell me the outcome, how the child felt, how long it took to recover? Any information would be appreciated. I can't seem to find any person who has undergone both anterior and posterior surgery. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Dear worried mom....I believe U can search the archives and find this info or a recent post about Amber who just had succesful surgery he mom did a fantistic job detailing every step of the way.....which doctor are u using for your daughters surgery?
    CONNIE

Surgery June 28th 2004
    fused T4 -L3
    Hip graft
    Grown 1 1/2 inches
    25/o upper T 15/o
    53/o T 15/o
    37/o L 6/o
    Dr. Micheal Nuewirth
    New York City

August 6, 2004
    Pulmonary Embolism
    complication from surgery

January 2007 currently
    increasing pain at the T4/5
    point irratation heardwear

Comment

Hi! This is Amber's mum.
      Amber's surgery was done all in one go through the back. Right before the surgery the surgeon was trying to decide if he should go from both ways or not. I'm mean the decision was made they put the mask on her face to put her off to sleep. He explained to me why the different options. For us it would have meant two seperate surgeries. One then, stay a week or so to recover maybe go home for a week, come back have the other surgery, then another week or so recovery. The problem was low in her back. He ended up pleased with the outcome.
      Where are your daughters curves? This may make a difference to the hows and whys.
      I hope this has helped but please feel free to ask anything either here or send me a personal message.
      Cheryl.

Comment

Hi Worriedmom,

Welcome to the board. I hope you have all of your questions answered so your anxiety will not be so bad. Surgery of any kind is not an easy decision, but scoliosis surgery is one of the harder ones to deal with, IMHO.

My 9yr old son was born with severe congenital scoliosis. At age 11 months, he had anterior/posterior fusion surgery. The anterior surgery is harder to recover from than "just" posterior surgery because they have to go through the ribs (usually remove a rib, depending on how high the fusion needs to be). They also have to move the internal organs out of the way, which takes time to heal from. Sometimes they do these two surgeries over a couple of days, because they can take a long time. Braydon's surgery was done the same day, and took about 6 hours total. He was a TINY baby, so that makes a difference too. A thoracic or general surgeon has to be present to do an anterior surgery.

Is the surgery scheduled for August of this year? Your post said 2002, so I'm a little confused... (which isn't unusual) You said she is 10yrs old. She is VERY young to be having fusion surgery. Have you gotten other opinions? Are they ANY other options you've been told about? Does she have good lung function? Is her scoliosis in her thoracic (middle) spine? It is so important to make sure this is the right option for her.

I wish you the best. I'd be happy to share more of our experiences with you, if you'd like. Take care
        Carmell
        mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

Anterior and Posterior Surgery

I want to thank all of you for being so kind as to post information for me.
          First, this was my first time on this site and I tried to correct the date of my daughter's surgery, and apparently, it did not work. The surgery will be August 2004.

Connie, my daughter will be having the surgery at Childrens Hospital of New York Presbyterian.

Cheryl, Amber's mom, I have not checked your entire story out as yet, but I was so grateful you answered this thread. My daughter had a congential problem just discovered this May in the apex of the thoracic area, which produced this 78 percent curve. Her spine compensated to 74 percent lumbar region. She has had her MRI, abdominal songogram, cardiogram, long x rays, etc. Except for these curves, all other areas seem to be fine. The greatest concern put upon me was to do it now, while she is still young and growing. It was fully explained to me that they would first do the anterior with bone graft and if she is holding up OK, they would turn her over and start the posterior. If they find any distress, they will stop with the anterior and we would stay in the hospital until she recovers from the first and then they would go back to do the posterior. It is my hope that she is strong enough to do both. I really do not want her to endure two surgeries or anthesthesia procedures. The risks were discussed numerous times. None, of which, is comforting. Thank you so much for caring and answering.

Carmel, your story moved me a great deal. Thank you for responding to my questions. I answered some of your questions above, with Cheryl. I did seek a second opinion and he is affiliated with 8 hospitals in New York City area. He completely concurred with the original surgeon and even stated that if his daughter had to have this particular surgery, he would send her to him. He is the one, however, who raised more concerns to me by stating that this surgery is rare, meaning, double major with almost 80 percent on each curve. My daughter has good lung function, and everything else. She has been active in several sports, swimming, soccer, etc. This all seem to come out this year. It clotheslined me in May. I thought maybe a brace and then each doctor said she is way beyond bracing. They are putting aside 12 hours for the surgery. Of course, you need to shave 1 and a half hours off the beginning for set up and the end, but that's a lot of hours. I will be meeting with him again shortly, with more questions. Did you child need Procrit? Injections once per week to build up the red blood count to reduce the need for transfusions? Thank you so much for writing to me. It is such a comfort to not feel so alone. The more I hear of cases and their outcomes, the better I feel. Don't get me wrong, my fingernails are in the ceiling as I pray all goes well.
          If anyone else has more information, I would really appreciate hearing from you. Thank you all and God Bless!

Comment

Hi again,

Thanks for sharing the details. My other question was going to ask about her lung function - you said she had great lung function - that's GREAT news. Has she had an official pulminary function test to make sure the numbers are as good as she looks? I hope so...

Email me, and I will send you a pic of a 7yr old girl who weighs only 36 pounds. She JUST had this same type of surgery - anterior/posterior fusion. She also had a spinal cord de-tether done at the same time. She didn't qualify for the kind of surgery my son has, because she's too healthy! She has excellent lung function. So, the parents went ahead with the fusion surgery. My only fear is that her body will want to grow more, and the fusion will prevent that. Hopefully I'm worried needlessly.

My email is boulderfam@hotmail.com

Again, I wish you the best. August will be here before you know it! Please keep us posted.
            Carmell
            mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

Hi Worried Mom,
              My daughter had a double curve also but only had the posterior surgery performed. She did great and is now almost 10 weeks post-op. She gave 4 units of blood and took 4 injections of procrit before surgery. She received back 2 units of blood during the surgery and one after in intensive care. She also took iron pills starting 8 weeks before surgery to build up her blood. We all know how tough the days are leading up to surgery. Stay positive. Everything will work out and she will be straight and healthy! Take care.

Comment

Surgery Anterior and Posterior

Peggy,

Thank you so much for your reply and information on your daughter. I have been given the schedule for iron and procrit and I have asked about blood. They do not want to take blood from her for fear of weakening her prior to surgery. As for the 10 week post op, I'm very interested to hear how your daughter is doing. I'm told there will be a check up in 2 weeks and 6 weeks. How is your daughter feeling? I met a woman in my daughter's school in the 7th grade who had a 58 percent curve (one) and had the surgery June 1st and I saw the daughter walking around as if no surgery were performed June 17th. I was so delighted to see this. How is your daughter? I hope she is OK.
                WorriedMom

Comment

Dear Peggy,

I did not go on line for a few days. I read your last reply to me and my daughter has great pulminary function. I'd rather not see the picture of the 36 lb. girl with the same type of surgery. I never heard of fusion surgery stopping growth. I have spoken with a woman who had the surgery 20 years ago when she was 11 years old and it did not stop her growth at all. However, being that this girl you speak of is only 36 lbs, there may be different circumstances. I hope she will be all right. Thanks for your words of comfort.

Comment

anterior and posterior

Dear Worried Mom,
                    My Cholie is having the same type of surgery in October to correct her 85 degree curve. We are in Cleveland so will be at Rainbows. I understand how you feel. This forum is excellent. They have helped me so much when I thought I had to decide whether or not to have the procedure done until we discovered how much her spine actually curved. My Cholie is 12 and will be 13 in November. Keep in touch and let us know how things went.
                    Cholie's Mom

Comment

I will not forget. I even put a reminder on the computer calendar to advise you in case, with all that will be going on, that it slips my mind.

Comment

Hi, Worried Mom,

Just wanted to add my little bit here. My now-17-year-old daughter had double fusion to correct 63/50 degree curves on March 18th of this year. She was corrected to 27 and about 10 degrees and she is pretty much back to her old life (although with many temporary restrictions against certain kinds of activities that your daughter's doctor will outline for you). She is working at Circuit City, takes a class at the local community college, is volunteering at the hospital where her surgery was performed (giving moral support to other scoliosis surgery patients) works out on a limited basis at the local health club, drives, parties and generally is just a normal teenager. Her posture is absolutely wonderful and the scar is fading. The biggest problem now is in making sure she avoids doing the things that she is not supposed to be doing yet. Other than that, all is well and we are enormously grateful. We did not have to deal with the issue of growth limitation, however, and that is one thing that I would suggest you do a bit of research on. The National Library of Medicine website at

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi

is quite helpful for general research on any number of topics, and you might find some information there. Good luck and keep the faith. Paula

Comment

Hi Worried Mom,
                          It wasn't my post about the 36lb. girl! My daughter is doing very well. As for the girl you saw 16 days after surgery, she must have been miraculous! It has been 10 weeks and 2 days since my daughter's surgery. She has no pain to speak of, every once in a while she says something bugs her for a little bit. Hasn't taken so much as motrin for weeks. She played putt-putt with her dad and sister and did great. Didn't bend at all, her little sister had the ball collection job, but she said the next day she was a little sore. But it couldn't have been much because she mentioned it ONCE. This past week is the first time that I have had to tell her watch it in that she was bending down a little much. And to me that is a great sign that she is getting back to normal. I know your daughter will do great. It is a nightmare that never seems to end pre-surgery. But once the surgery is finished it is just such a relief and you just take one day at a tiime and thank God it is over. There is not a day that goes by that I don't look at her and let out a long relief breath. Best of luck to you and hang tough. Things will work out and soon hopefully you can put this all behind you. Take care and all our wishes and prayers are with you.

Hi PaulaSue!
                          Glad to hear your daughter is out and about and back to normal! We are so lucky. Take care!

Comment

Peggy,
                            It's so good to hear that everything is back on track. I hoped it would just be a matter of time for her. Can you please explain to us the American school year. When school is in and when holidays are. It seems so different to what we have.
                            Best wishes.
                            Cheryl.

Comment

Paulasue2

Thank yo so much. I'm so grateful for your information and to know how well your daughter is doing. God Bless Her!

Comment

Working...
                              X