Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hospital bed at home

Me again,
    Do you think renting a hospital bed after surgery is necessary? I'm not sure where I might put one.
    Ash

Ash--while I was in the hospital, my husband and I thought how that might be soooo helpful when I got home. I couldn't imagine lying flat in my regular bed at home. We spoke with my doctor and he said NO-- he wanted me to adjust to regular life/things as quickly as possible, and felt that with a few pillows, etc., I would be fine. So I didn't use a hospital bed at home. I know you'll get a variety of answers on this one though, because I've seen that many people did get one. If you have a comfortable bed you should be fine. Take care!
    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

I have to say I missed the hospital bed when I first got home from rehab but would only have needed it for the first couple of weeks or so. If you're not going to rehab after surgery, it would probably be a good thing to have. I eventually got comfortable in my own bed with the help of lots of pillows.
      Chris
      A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
      Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
      Post-op curve: 12 degrees
      Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Ash,

My stepmom really encouraged me to get a hospital bed, just so I could have it as an option. I asked her to wait and see what they said while I was in the hospital - it was never mentioned there. So I'm sleeping in my own bed, and it's fine. I pile pillows into an incline (one against the headboard, and two positioned over that one in an incline - imagine a triangle) and lay on my back over those. That's working fine for me (in fact - I slept till 9:30 today, and only woke up 4 times).

You'll know in the hospital if you'll need it or not. And you can always make the decision once you are home if things aren't working out.
        2000 34*L/39*T
        2007 44*L/53*T

12.3.07 Posterior Spinal Fusion T4-T12
        (initially planned T4-L1)
        12.18.07 11*L/10*T

23 years old

Comment

Here's what I'm going to try ...

Actually won one on eBay last night for less than a 1/3 of the price. Looks pretty cool if it works as the reviews state.

It's called the Mattress Genie ... anyone have experience with one?

I got it so cheaply, if it doesn't work for me no big deal ... I can always flip it back on eBay.

If it does work, I'll bequeath it here (when I no longer need it) to another person headed to the "other side" ;-)

(note to self ... add more batteries, velcro and another remote leash to my list! lol ...)

Regards,
          Pam
          Last edited by txmarinemom; 12-19-2007, 12:56 PM.
          Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
          AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
          Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
          Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
          EMAIL ME

Comment

When I got home I really missed my electric hospital bed. My parents brought around a fully reclining lazy boy, but it has manual lever controls which I can't operate myself. This has led to a reduction in my independence, but I am only 2 weeks post op. I would at this stage still really like a hospital bed or electric lazy boy. Having said that, after my first surgery I was only comfortable lying flat on my bed. So I would find out about if you can hire them, and how much notice you need for delivery. That way you can wait and see, or else hire it but cancel if you don't need it.
            1994 curve at age 13, 70 degrees, untreated
            2000 Anterior fusion with instrumentation T9-L2, corrected to 36 degrees, 14 degree angle between fused and un-fused thoracic spine.
            2007 26 degrees junctional scoliosis
            Revision surgery, 6th December 2007 T4 to L3, Posterior approach.
            msandham.blogspot.com

Comment

I am 6 days post op and one night home from the hospital. I can't imagine not sleeping in a hospital bed, and luckily it is covered by my insurance. I bought a 1-2 inch thick memory foam topper for the mattress and I swear it feels like heaven. I say if the hospital bed is an option, do it! Good luck with your surgery.
              Last edited by Geish; 12-20-2007, 09:39 PM. Reason: spelling error
              Geish
              47 years old, dx at 13
              +30* to the right, +60* to the left, +30* to the right
              Surgery 12-13-07 - fusion from T4 to sacrum.

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=267 Pre surgery
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=268 Post surgery
              http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/DSC01091.jpg Xray from the side
              http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1089-1-1-1.jpg Xray from the back

Comment

Hi Ash,
                I had a hospital bed at home...and I honestly don't think I could have made it without it...Good Luck
                MarieMarieMarie

Comment

Wow, thanks everybody. Maybe I'll go ahead and rent one, then I can send it back when I can go without it. My 6 year old still sleeps with us - (I know!!! Shhh!!) - but I can't imagine sleeping with her in a post-op condition with her kicking and all.
                  Ash

Comment

Working...
                  X