Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nearly 2 weeks post-op: a day-by-day

Hi Everyone,

I'm almost 2 weeks post op (time flies) and wanted to put up a day-by-day of my hospital stay (to the best of my ability) like I said I would, and also give an idea of where I am right now. Sorry in advance for the length!

Day 1 - Surgery Day. I arrived at the hospital at 5:45am. The surgery was scheduled for 7:45. The plan was that my boyfriend would drive me, and my parents would meet us around 6:30-7 to say goodbye to me before going in. I was shocked with how quickly the pre-op business went. They called me back, got me changed, and let my boyfriend come back with me. They were ready to take me back by 6:20, so I didn't get to see my parents. I'll admit, I got teary as the rolled me away from my boyfriend.

A neurologist spent time putting electrodes on my arms, legs, chest and head. I was a little freaked out, particularly since I was by myself and hadn't seen my parents. The last thing I remember was the anesthesiologist telling me he'd give me something to help me relax...

After surgery, I did not need to go into the ICU, and went straight to the recovery room. I barely remember waking up, and asking for my family, and being wheeled into my room where they let my family see me. The told me it went really well (surgery was shorter than expected, I didn't need a transfusion, I wouldnt need a brace, and I didn't have any abrasions on my face). My mother says I spoke very softly , and my most common response was a soft, high pitched, "yay!."

Day 2 - I was on a pain pump, which administered dilaudid. It worked well, but the draw back was that when I slept, I wasn't getting any relief, so I would wake up in lots of pain. I needed nurses to help me move, and couldnt roll myself at all. I began to eat a clear liquid diet. They ordered xrays for me, and after being transfered from bed to gurney, wheeled through the hospital (bumpy!), taken on an elevator, and moved from gurney to xray table, and left there, alone, for what seemed like forever, they realized the xrays were supposed to be standing. At that point, I was no where near being able to stand... so I was wheeled back to my hospital room, where I proceeded to throw up a fowl shade of green... (low point number 1)

Day 3 - for the second time, the PT came to my bed and tried to help me sit. My blood pressure dropped stupid low, so they had to lay me back down. My stomach started to feel distended. I think this was when I switched to oral meds (though I was still on an antinausia and an antibiotic).

Day 4 - They removed the catheter because it was so uncomfortable. When I finally needed to use the bathroom, I was motivated to walk myself there with a walker, even though I hadn't even stood up yet. By then, my stomach was more uncomfortable than my back. They put me back on IV (no more food) so nothing more would build up in my stomach.

Day 5 - My stomach felt better after being on the IV for awhile without food. I went for xrays, this time much more successfully. I had 2 friends visit me, though they left when my stomach started to feel bad again in the evening. They called in an attending, who ordered an xray of my stomach, which appeared to be moderately distended.

Day 6 - They told me I could start on sips of water. By this time I was walking in the hallway, and just waiting not-so-patiently for my stomach to awaken.

Day 7 - I was back to a clear liquid diet. My stomach was making enough noise that the nurse expected it would be back to good soon enough. I was walking comfortably, and I was discharged around 2pm.

Overall, with the exception of my stomach trouble, my hospital stay was fine. The nurses were good (with the exception of 2, which is nothing considering the number I interacted with). I would have been out of the hospital much sooner if it wasn't for my tummy...

I've been home for almost a week now, and am getting sick of the same scenery. I'm comfortable sitting on the couch with lots of pillows, and have found a semi-comfortable position to sleep in. I'm extending the amount of time between doses of pain meds just a little (I'm on Dilaudid). Car rides are difficult due to pot holes, and the weather - it's icy so I can't really go for walks. And I'm SO anxious to be independent again, and back to "normal." Oh - and I grew about an inch and a half!

Sorry for the length of the post, but I hope it's helpful to some of you
    Last edited by vndy; 12-16-2007, 10:44 AM.
    2000 34*L/39*T
    2007 44*L/53*T

12.3.07 Posterior Spinal Fusion T4-T12
    (initially planned T4-L1)
    12.18.07 11*L/10*T

23 years old

Nice job, vndy! Very informative --I'm sure it will help reassure some. When you're older, it all takes longer, but otherwise pretty similar.
    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Ditto

I had a similar pre-op experience. We were due there at 6.20 and arrived early, so went for a little drive up the neighbouring small 'mountain' (I don't think its big enough to justify the title, but it's called 'Mt Eden'). We then got back to the hospital on time, and waited in reception while they fussed over credit checking the cheque for $9000 that they had demanded the day before. Meanwhile, my anaesthatist walked past and greeted me like an old friend, which he was, and assured me he'd see me soon for a nice big pre-med.

Once they took me upstairs to the ward, I didn't have time to be scared, It all happened so fast! Turns out they had accused me of being late when I reached theatre, but it was the ward that held me up. I was annoyed at this! The nurse who admitted me into theatre was the same one who did it last time, although I don't remember, she had my old notes and found her signature on the last time's checklist.

I'm glad that you're at a similar stage to me, it's nice having a friend accross the other side of the world who is going through the same stuff. I have nicer weather though! I'm sitting in my lounge looking out to the Waitemata Harbour, where the America's cup was held when it was in Auckland (if you watched that you'll know my view). It's roasting hot, and if I wasn't recovering I'd be out on the water on our parent's yacht, or swimming. The hottest weather is in Feb, so I'm holding out hopes for a new-years swim.
      1994 curve at age 13, 70 degrees, untreated
      2000 Anterior fusion with instrumentation T9-L2, corrected to 36 degrees, 14 degree angle between fused and un-fused thoracic spine.
      2007 26 degrees junctional scoliosis
      Revision surgery, 6th December 2007 T4 to L3, Posterior approach.
      msandham.blogspot.com

Comment

Reading about your experience brought back many memories for me. I also had all the same unpleasant stomach issues, etc. You are doing well though. Keep up the good work. I promise you that you will be independent again and it will get better. Hang in there and keep up the faith. The worst is over and you have a whole new life ahead of you.

Best,
        Anya
        "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
        Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
        19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

Vndy-

Thanks for the day-by-day - mine is just around the corner and, although I am much older than you and my curves are quite different, it is helpful to know what to expect in general.

Hope your stomach is now functioning as it should, and wishing you an easy recovery
          As of 12/25/07, age 62, 100* thoracic kyphosis, 73* L1-S1 lordosis, 37*/25* compensatory S-curve scoliosis. On 12/26/07, Dr. Boachie @ HSS NYC did 11 hours ant. & post. procedures, fused T2-L2, kyphosis now 57*, scoli 10*. Regained 2 1/4 inches in height!! Improving every day.

Comment

Just to reassure the pre-op folks that we're all different -- I had very little stomach trouble at all in the hospital. I was constipated of course, but it wasn't painful in terms of eating and/or digestion -- it was just uncomfortable in terms of bloating, mostly in rehab, AFTER the hospital stay.

I remember waking up nauseous in the recovery room and telling the nurse, and she put something in my IV that took the nausea away in literally about a minute. Apparently my stomach woke up relatively quickly after surgery and I was able to successfully eat liquids at about 2-3 days post-op.

I do remember my stomach rumbling and gurgling for at least a month after surgery....all normal.
            Chris
            A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
            Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
            Post-op curve: 12 degrees
            Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Hi all,
              I just have a question - one of the things I'm afraid of is wierd....... throwing up after surgery. How can you vomit while you're lying on your back? Seems like you might choke or something. I know it's a strange question, but I choked (vomitting) after I gave birth to my daughter (maybe from meds?). It was terrible.
              Congrats on your successful surgery, Vndy!
              Ash

Comment

ew

Hi Ash,

I didn't want to be graphic, but here goes...

I had the forethought (even in my extremely medicated state) to logroll onto my left side before vomiting. It was really awful, as I was unable to lean over a bucket, toilet, or sink. But somehow my body had the natural reaction to to roll onto my side, to keep me from choking...

Sorry for being so gross!
                2000 34*L/39*T
                2007 44*L/53*T

12.18.07 11*L/10*T

23 years old

Comment

when I was in ICU on my surgery night I vomited almost all night due to meds but I had a little bucket and I was on my side but the thing is that night my back was a little sore I was mainly feeling fluish. congrats on a great surgery! try to sleep if you can!
                  Sugery: Wednesday, June 27, 2007
                  Fused: T3-L4
                  Hospital: St. Louis Childrens Hospital

Comment

Thanks guys,
                    Nothing is gross to me - - it's nice to know there are friends out there who will answer anything I might have a question about. I'm still on the fence regarding surgery........
                    Ash

Comment

pre-op anxieties...?

I'd also like to reassure some of the pre-op people that everyone is different. I did have an ileus, but definitely no nausea or vomiting. With the ileus, my stomach just didn't wake up. They didn't allow me to have anything to eat or drink until it did--otherwise you can have a great deal of discomfort or other problems. I did get to have occasional ice chips. The ileus did not cause me discomfort. Every day they would ask if I'd had any gas-- and they would listen to my stomach. Finally I passed a very little gas and was ecstatic! I remember I didn't even feel that hungry although I didn't get to eat anything for 5 days after surgery. I think the hunger issue didn't really happen very much because I was getting food via the IV. I DID wish I could eat though! I missed having food! And I was thirsty, but the ice chips helped some with that.

My suggestion is to know that it's a possibility (so it doesn't surprise you terribly) that you might vomit, be nauseous, have an ileus, etc., but don't dwell on it. No reason to cross that bridge, especially since you might not ever get there. Even with those problems, we all got through it ok, are recovering, and are straighter and stronger for it all. That's the main thing.
                      71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                      2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                      5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                      Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                      CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                      10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

There is a little patch that you can ask for before surgery to help with the nausea after. It's a little thing that goes right behind your ear. I asked for it each time before my surgery and never got nauseous when waking. Your anesthesiologist will know about it... when they come to speak to you beforehand, ask for it!!

Comment

I can feel them...

Here's a question for those of you farther along -

I can feel the rods inside me, particularly when laying on my back, or learning against the back of a chair or a couch. It's not painful, really, but more uncomfortable and awkward feeling... Will this go away?
                          2000 34*L/39*T
                          2007 44*L/53*T

12.18.07 11*L/10*T

23 years old

Comment

Hi Vndy,

Yes, that feeling of the rods will go away. I'm 6 months post-op now and do not feel them. I do feel one screw in my upper back that is protruding, but that is it.

Best,
                            Anya
                            "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
                            Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
                            19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

Feeling the rods ...

vndy, the phone call was wonderful: It's soooooooo helpful/reassuring to talk to someone on the other side of my very similar, scheduled fusion!

Anya, THANK YOU for answering the questions about the rods, because I knew vndy was feeling hers - and was a bit uneasy (to say the least).

I very happy to hear that improves with time ;-).

Regards,
                              Pam
                              Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
                              AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
                              Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
                              Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                              EMAIL ME

Comment

Working...
                              X