PDA

View Full Version : push for surgery

Jimbo
12-15-2007, 12:56 AM
Greetings all. A couple of questions I want to ask. First off I have double curve wit 38 lumbar and 19 thoracic. I finally went to the xray dudes and got a scan at the start of this year at the age of 26. I now go to the chiro and am quite physically active. However, I am really going to try and push for surgery. The surgeon told me there would be a one in ten chance of him actually operating on me. Can somebody tell me how I can push for the surgery. What kind of things can I say to up my chances of getting it. And if its done in a public hospital is the cost covered or do I have to pay ( i live in Australia, gday ;) I know surgery is a big undertaking withmany risks involved, but i have made my choice knowing all these things.

Thanks in advance

vndy
12-15-2007, 08:33 AM
Your curves are pretty low to consider surgery. I know most US surgeons won't operate until your curve is over 50degrees. I just had surgery a couple weeks ago, and trust me, you don't want to do it if it's not absolutely necessary...

abhbarry
12-15-2007, 08:41 AM
I agree with Vndy. Most surgeons won't operate on you if your curve is under 50 degrees. Surgery is HUGE and it was my last resort, and like Vndy said, unless it is absolutely necessary, I wouldn't do it. I know it is frustrating to be in pain even with a curve under 50 and to have to keep trying alternative therapies. It might be worth it though to keep trying everything other than surgery. It is your call though.

Good luck,
Anya

Jimbo
12-15-2007, 10:37 PM
Thanks people. I guess I need to do a bit more thinking on the issue. :)