push for surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• push for surgery

Greetings all. A couple of questions I want to ask. First off I have double curve wit 38 lumbar and 19 thoracic. I finally went to the xray dudes and got a scan at the start of this year at the age of 26. I now go to the chiro and am quite physically active. However, I am really going to try and push for surgery. The surgeon told me there would be a one in ten chance of him actually operating on me. Can somebody tell me how I can push for the surgery. What kind of things can I say to up my chances of getting it. And if its done in a public hospital is the cost covered or do I have to pay ( i live in Australia, gday I know surgery is a big undertaking withmany risks involved, but i have made my choice knowing all these things.

Thanks in advance
    45L/40T
    Surgery 25/1/2010
    Australia

Knowthyself

Scoliosis Corrected 25/1/2010 by Dr Angus Gray, Prince of Wales Private Hospital, Sydney. Fused T3-L4.

Your curves are pretty low to consider surgery. I know most US surgeons won't operate until your curve is over 50degrees. I just had surgery a couple weeks ago, and trust me, you don't want to do it if it's not absolutely necessary...
    2000 34*L/39*T
    2007 44*L/53*T

12.3.07 Posterior Spinal Fusion T4-T12
    (initially planned T4-L1)
    12.18.07 11*L/10*T

23 years old

Comment

I agree with Vndy. Most surgeons won't operate on you if your curve is under 50 degrees. Surgery is HUGE and it was my last resort, and like Vndy said, unless it is absolutely necessary, I wouldn't do it. I know it is frustrating to be in pain even with a curve under 50 and to have to keep trying alternative therapies. It might be worth it though to keep trying everything other than surgery. It is your call though.

Good luck,
      Anya
      "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
      Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
      19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

Thanks people. I guess I need to do a bit more thinking on the issue.
        45L/40T
        Surgery 25/1/2010
        Australia

Knowthyself

Scoliosis Corrected 25/1/2010 by Dr Angus Gray, Prince of Wales Private Hospital, Sydney. Fused T3-L4.

Comment

Working...
        X