PDA

View Full Version : A toenail-clipping poll!

Singer
12-14-2007, 07:42 AM
I was wondering how many of my post-op friends can cut their own toenails -- and when were you able to manage it? I am so sick of begging poor Hubby to do it (he hates doing it), but I'm nowhere near ready to do it yet. At least I can now shave my legs..... :rolleyes:

abhbarry
12-14-2007, 08:20 AM
My husband still cuts my toenails and I'm 6 months post-op. I tried to do it once myself, but it was too difficult. Yes, I can shave my own legs though (but not very well). Oh well, it is winter . . . I'm definitely not showing off my legs. :)

Best,
Anya

CStadler
12-14-2007, 11:29 AM
I guess I am lucky I only needed help once postop and now as long as I use small scissors and not nail clippers I can do a pretty good job. I place my foot on my elevated toilet seat and lean slightly forward (from the hips) and presto! Not the most accurate job in the world but it works and I am 3 months post op and fused to my sacrum!
Keep trying!

vndy
12-14-2007, 11:32 AM
I cant imagine clipping my toe nails (keep in mind I'm less than 2 weeks post op). However, I think I'm forever indebted to my boyfriend who shaved my legs and painted my toe nails yesterday!

Susie*Bee
12-14-2007, 12:38 PM
This was definitely the highlight of my day so far. (OK, all I've really done is physical therapy, so it wouldn't take much!) My hubby is still clipping my toenails for me. He doesn't enjoy it much either. :eek: I can shave my own legs, but not so great either. I'm with you, Anya--and especially at my age, who's to know-or care? I had my hubby do it the first time, but he just did a few strokes and missed at least half the hair, so I figured I could do that much myself. I don't have very showy leg hair anyway. I got a nice electric razor post-op, so I won't accidentally kill myself... :rolleyes:

rainbow2010
12-14-2007, 01:07 PM
I did my own after my surgery. I sit crossed legged and reach them that way. Stretching your legs first makes it easier.

summer
12-14-2007, 01:52 PM
I still can't do a good job because I just can't seem to find the right position! My fiance , foot dr. or pedicurist does it.

vndy
12-14-2007, 02:09 PM
Speaking of pedicures - when were you all comfortable sitting for long enough to get a pedi?

geo
12-14-2007, 06:50 PM
I keep coming back to nzgirl's statement about how this surgery caused her to lose all her "feminine mystery"!!

I have to admit that I didn't cut my toenails until I was able to do it myself; my feet are pretty ticklish so I wasn't giving my boyfriend any extra opportunities to harass me! I was able to do it, though, about 3 weeks post-op, but my method was the same as rainbow's, with one leg crossed over the other and twisting my toes around, contortionist-like.

geo
12-14-2007, 06:51 PM
Vndy - sitting on hard chairs wasn't comfortable for atleast the first month for me, but if the chair was slightly padded and I had a pillow below and/or behind me, it wasn't too bad by about 3 weeks.

Heathmoose
12-14-2007, 08:13 PM
I am over 3 years post-op and still have trouble clipping my toenails. I can sort of manage if I am lying down and bring my foot over the other knee, but I guess b/c of where I am fused it makes it difficult. Either my husband clips them, or I managed a pedicure...

Suzy
12-14-2007, 09:58 PM
I really think this has a lot to do with flexibility. If your hamstrings are tight you're not going to get you foot up on anything to cut your toenails very easily. Can those of you with trouble putting you foot up on the counter or a chair sit in a chair and put your foot on the edge of the seat? You can push back into the seat a bit with your foot to keep your back straight. I find sometimes putting my foot on the counter I need to make sure I don't take too long as it causes me to arch slightly above and below my fusion. I say get a pedicure, they sure have come down in price. Take a pillow as I have found some chairs are not as soft as they look. Besides we don't pamper ourselves enough!

Fused T10-L4 2/22/06 49* now 8*

LindaRacine
12-15-2007, 12:41 AM
I guess I am lucky I only needed help once postop and now as long as I use small scissors and not nail clippers I can do a pretty good job. I place my foot on my elevated toilet seat and lean slightly forward (from the hips) and presto! Not the most accurate job in the world but it works and I am 3 months post op and fused to my sacrum!
Keep trying!
Yikes Carol...

Just because you can do it doesn't mean you should. Weren't you told not to bend more than 90 degrees?

--Linda

LindaRacine
12-15-2007, 12:43 AM
There's always this option:

http://www.fulloflife.com/website/store/promotion.asp?item_no=71805&entry=froogle&source_code=RFL00000

nzgirl
12-15-2007, 02:14 AM
I was feeling yuck 6 days post op and ready to go home... I pursueded the nurses to have a razor to shave my underarms... but with the full intention of shaving my legs. I managed cos they're so well set up in the hospital, I sat on the chair and crossed my leg over my knee and went for it, then stood up with foot on chair and did the rest. I'm bad-ass. It was totally worth it. Have been a bit less confident since though.
My mum painted my toenails in hospital for me, that was great. She needed a job, it's hard to watch your daughter lie there and listen to her tell you the same stuff repeatedly.

nzgirl
12-15-2007, 02:19 AM
PS: Goodness Linda, you could lose a toe using those clippers! (see above 2 for link) I have similar things for pruning trees in my gardens! I guess losing your toes might solve the problem of clipping, but you kind of need them for balance.

Singer
12-15-2007, 07:17 AM
Wow, I got some great suggestions here! I love the extension-clipper gadget Linda linked -- when you're finished with your nails, you can go outside and trim back your azaleas!!!!

Singer
12-15-2007, 08:45 AM
I just managed to clip the nails on my left foot to perfection by crossing my leg over my right knee. I couldn't quite reach the right foot yet -- the right leg isn't flexible enough. But Hubby is happy that he only has to do one foot -- that's my Christmas present to him..... :rolleyes:

SusanGP
12-15-2007, 11:49 PM
I am 7 weeks post-op, fused from T-10 to S-1 and so glad to see this poll!!! I sometimes feel that I am unable to do anything for myself in the personal area. I definately can't cut my toenails and I have tried all of the suggestions on the poll. Maybe I don't have much flexibility or...

LindaRacine, I was so glad to see your link, I may just order the tool to clip my own toenails. I can only shave the top of my legs, definately not from my knees down. And my husband is definately not into cutting my toenails or shaving my legs. I still have to wear the brace and it keeps me from doing a lot, but then if I follow my doc's orders I should not twist, bend, or lift.

This forum is great. I don't post often but I do read quite a bit and love the info. I will jump in there in the future when I have something to add because all of you really have helped me. My curve was 62 thorocolumbar pre-op and I don't know what it is post-op. Can you believe I did not ask that question?? I am straighter and a couple of inches taller. Still having quite a time adjusting to all the limitations but knowing the alternative I am glad I had the surgery. I am supposed to be weaning myself down off the pain meds but the pain is still quite strong, so... I just keep trying... Thanks to all of you for posting on this forum. God Bless,
Susan

txmarinemom
12-16-2007, 04:58 PM
I love the extension-clipper gadget Linda linked -- when you're finished with your nails, you can go outside and trim back your azaleas!!!!

LMAO, Singer ... I needed that. Thanks! ;-)

Regards,
Pam

JoAnn5
12-17-2007, 03:48 PM
Welcome, Susan GP!! So glad to have you join us!!

Hang in there, your flexibility will get better, and so will your pain. Don't rush yourself! This a long and slow recovery that you have good days and bad....two steps forward and one step back... you know how that goes... but you WILL make it!!

CStadler
12-17-2007, 06:47 PM
Yikes Carol...

Just because you can do it doesn't mean you should. Weren't you told not to bend more than 90 degrees?

--Linda
Hi Linda,
Yes I had the 90 degree restriction but at 6 weeks my surgeon told me I could bend forward but not lift anything while doing that and also not to go further than was comfortable. I was always very flexible (lots of yoga) and being a small person I think helps as well. It is also easy for me to bring my foot up behind myself but I found it easier to lean slightly forward.

I did ask if anyone knows if you are allowed to sit on the couch and lean sideways with a pillow under your ribs. I know it is not sitting straight but sometimes it is so hard to get comfortable. :confused:

Singer
12-18-2007, 07:13 AM
I wouldn't dare sit that way myself, as I'm always careful to keep my hips and torso even and aligned. It IS really hard to get comfortable for the first few months.

Geish
12-20-2007, 09:42 PM
I plan on using this as an excuse to get regular pedicures! :p