A toenail-clipping poll!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A toenail-clipping poll!

I was wondering how many of my post-op friends can cut their own toenails -- and when were you able to manage it? I am so sick of begging poor Hubby to do it (he hates doing it), but I'm nowhere near ready to do it yet. At least I can now shave my legs.....
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

My husband still cuts my toenails and I'm 6 months post-op. I tried to do it once myself, but it was too difficult. Yes, I can shave my own legs though (but not very well). Oh well, it is winter . . . I'm definitely not showing off my legs.

Best,
    Anya
    "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
    Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
    19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

I guess I am lucky I only needed help once postop and now as long as I use small scissors and not nail clippers I can do a pretty good job. I place my foot on my elevated toilet seat and lean slightly forward (from the hips) and presto! Not the most accurate job in the world but it works and I am 3 months post op and fused to my sacrum!
      Keep trying!
      CarolS
      68 degree right lumbar scoliosis, mild kyphosis at L1-2
      Anterior/Posterior Correction, T8 to Sacrum, Sept 20th, 2007
      Osteotomy March 20,2008
      Thrilled with results!

Comment

I cant imagine clipping my toe nails (keep in mind I'm less than 2 weeks post op). However, I think I'm forever indebted to my boyfriend who shaved my legs and painted my toe nails yesterday!
        2000 34*L/39*T
        2007 44*L/53*T

12.3.07 Posterior Spinal Fusion T4-T12
        (initially planned T4-L1)
        12.18.07 11*L/10*T

23 years old

Comment

What a chuckle!

This was definitely the highlight of my day so far. (OK, all I've really done is physical therapy, so it wouldn't take much!) My hubby is still clipping my toenails for me. He doesn't enjoy it much either. I can shave my own legs, but not so great either. I'm with you, Anya--and especially at my age, who's to know-or care? I had my hubby do it the first time, but he just did a few strokes and missed at least half the hair, so I figured I could do that much myself. I don't have very showy leg hair anyway. I got a nice electric razor post-op, so I won't accidentally kill myself...
          71 and plugging along... but having some problems
          2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
          5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
          Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
          CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
          10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

I did my own after my surgery. I sit crossed legged and reach them that way. Stretching your legs first makes it easier.
            T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
            2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
            3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
            Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

I still can't do a good job because I just can't seem to find the right position! My fiance , foot dr. or pedicurist does it.
              Jenn
              37 y/o female
              60 degree lumbar
              45 degree thoracic
              1st time anterior/posterior surgery May 8th and 10th 2006
              T 5 to S 1
              NYC

Comment

Speaking of pedicures - when were you all comfortable sitting for long enough to get a pedi?
                2000 34*L/39*T
                2007 44*L/53*T

12.3.07 Posterior Spinal Fusion T4-T12
                (initially planned T4-L1)
                12.18.07 11*L/10*T

23 years old

Comment

I keep coming back to nzgirl's statement about how this surgery caused her to lose all her "feminine mystery"!!

I have to admit that I didn't cut my toenails until I was able to do it myself; my feet are pretty ticklish so I wasn't giving my boyfriend any extra opportunities to harass me! I was able to do it, though, about 3 weeks post-op, but my method was the same as rainbow's, with one leg crossed over the other and twisting my toes around, contortionist-like.
                  31 year old female
                  55* (day of surgery) thoracic curve w/compensatory lumbar
                  T4-T12 on Aug 15, 2007

MRI, pre-surgery
                  Xray, 3 mos. post-op
                  Machu Picchu, 8 mos. post-op

Comment

Vndy - sitting on hard chairs wasn't comfortable for atleast the first month for me, but if the chair was slightly padded and I had a pillow below and/or behind me, it wasn't too bad by about 3 weeks.
                    31 year old female
                    55* (day of surgery) thoracic curve w/compensatory lumbar
                    T4-T12 on Aug 15, 2007

MRI, pre-surgery
                    Xray, 3 mos. post-op
                    Machu Picchu, 8 mos. post-op

Comment

I am over 3 years post-op and still have trouble clipping my toenails. I can sort of manage if I am lying down and bring my foot over the other knee, but I guess b/c of where I am fused it makes it difficult. Either my husband clips them, or I managed a pedicure...
                      Heather
                      Surgery date: April 20, 2004
                      Anterior/posterior surgery
                      Fused T-11 to L-5
                      Pre op lumbar curve: 70 degrees, thoracic curve: 42 degrees
                      Post op lumbar curve: 19 degrees, thoracic curve: 18
                      Surgeon: Dr. Boachie-Adjei
                      Had successful pregnancy and birth 2 years post-op

Comment

I really think this has a lot to do with flexibility. If your hamstrings are tight you're not going to get you foot up on anything to cut your toenails very easily. Can those of you with trouble putting you foot up on the counter or a chair sit in a chair and put your foot on the edge of the seat? You can push back into the seat a bit with your foot to keep your back straight. I find sometimes putting my foot on the counter I need to make sure I don't take too long as it causes me to arch slightly above and below my fusion. I say get a pedicure, they sure have come down in price. Take a pillow as I have found some chairs are not as soft as they look. Besides we don't pamper ourselves enough!

Fused T10-L4 2/22/06 49* now 8*

Comment

Originally posted by CStadler
                          I guess I am lucky I only needed help once postop and now as long as I use small scissors and not nail clippers I can do a pretty good job. I place my foot on my elevated toilet seat and lean slightly forward (from the hips) and presto! Not the most accurate job in the world but it works and I am 3 months post op and fused to my sacrum!
                          Keep trying!
                          Yikes Carol...

Just because you can do it doesn't mean you should. Weren't you told not to bend more than 90 degrees?

--Linda
                          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

There's always this option:

http://www.fulloflife.com/website/st..._code=RFL00000
                            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                            Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Showing off...

I was feeling yuck 6 days post op and ready to go home... I pursueded the nurses to have a razor to shave my underarms... but with the full intention of shaving my legs. I managed cos they're so well set up in the hospital, I sat on the chair and crossed my leg over my knee and went for it, then stood up with foot on chair and did the rest. I'm bad-ass. It was totally worth it. Have been a bit less confident since though.
                              My mum painted my toenails in hospital for me, that was great. She needed a job, it's hard to watch your daughter lie there and listen to her tell you the same stuff repeatedly.
                              1994 curve at age 13, 70 degrees, untreated
                              2000 Anterior fusion with instrumentation T9-L2, corrected to 36 degrees, 14 degree angle between fused and un-fused thoracic spine.
                              2007 26 degrees junctional scoliosis
                              Revision surgery, 6th December 2007 T4 to L3, Posterior approach.
                              msandham.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                              X