PDA

View Full Version : Well, the pre-op tasks have begun ...

txmarinemom
12-12-2007, 11:46 AM
Yesterday, I had my cervical and lumbar MRI's ... hopefully no degeneration below. No pain at all in that area, but I know some have degeneration with no pain.

Dr. Hanson doesn't expect to see any, but, honestly, I would have to do some serious soul searching about going forward with surgery if it becomes necessary to go below L1.

I'm just not ready - at this point in my life - to have a fusion that extends into the lumbar area :(.

I know I'm putting the cart before the horse here (this process makes it more difficult than usual to focus on one step at a time!). This may not even end up being an issue ...

Y'all cross your fingers!

Regards,
Pam

Susie*Bee
12-12-2007, 03:30 PM
OK! I've got 'em crossed. Hopefully it will work out the way you want it to! :)

mariaf
12-12-2007, 03:48 PM
All ten fingers crossed in NY! (Ok, I won't be able to get my shoes on but I'll cross my toes too!).

Hopefully, there will be no surprises (that's always a good thing).

txmarinemom
12-13-2007, 04:44 PM
No degeneration noted in the lumbar area according to the MRI report!!

Cervical looks like *sh**, but I expected that: it's been that way for 10 years (after a major whiplash).

The radiologist read it as deg disc disease, and the same old 3mm bulges between C5/C6 and C6/C7. I suppose DDD is *possible*, but after 10 years, the same results - especially with no change in bulge, no stenosis, no nerve root impingement, or other changes, I'm a bit skeptical.

Regards,
Pam

crepehanger
12-13-2007, 04:53 PM
Hello Pam-

It looks like you lucked out on the lumbar, then? excellent news! I did not realize whiplash could do so much damage!!!

txmarinemom
12-13-2007, 06:04 PM
Girl, I didn't either until I got rear ended (dead on ... at a complete stop ... in a Sunbird, no less) by a full sized truck going 55-60 m.p.h.

To give you an idea on the magnitude of the impact, it sheared every single bolt in my seat. I'm still SO grateful I was late picking up my kids that day ... the trunk occupied the back seat (where they would have been) after the wreck ... it was literally right* behind my head.

Before then, I'd have told you whiplash was invented by lawyers.

And, yes ... I lucked out on the lumbar. Hanson didn't expect to see anything, but just the possibility had me freaked - especially knowing degeneration can be present with no pain.

Regards,
Pam