Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chris' surgery is tomorrow!

Hi everybody,
    Well, it looks like it's Chris' turn. I wish that I could say that I feel calm and at peace, but I don't. This past week has been really tough and I'm anxious to have this surgery behind us so that we can move on without having this dark cloud hanging over our heads. We have a rough week ahead of us but I know it's all temporary. Please keep us in your prayers so that we have the strength to get through this. You have all been such a blessing and I couldn't have made it this far without you. I'll post as soon as I can.

Hugs,
    Lori

Mom to Christopher, age 17, Mark, 13, Heather, 10 and Michael, 8
    Chris had surgery with Dr. John Flynn at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia on December 12, 2007. He is fused T4 to L4.
    Dr. Flynn is an AMAZING surgeon!

Luck!

Lori,

He'll be fine, and so will you. I'm 8 days out and feeling worlds better. I'll be thinking of you both, please let me know if there's any way I can be helpful, or any information I can give
    2000 34*L/39*T
    2007 44*L/53*T

12.3.07 Posterior Spinal Fusion T4-T12
    (initially planned T4-L1)
    12.18.07 11*L/10*T

23 years old

Comment

Lori--take heart! You're almost there. And as Vndy says, it gets better each day. Not to say it isn't rough-- it's hard work for everyone. And it must be really tough to be the one sitting in the waiting room during the surgery... I felt bad for my husband in that way. It would be even worse to be a mom waiting... I will be praying for you and Chris.
      71 and plugging along... but having some problems
      2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
      5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
      Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
      CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
      10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

vndy!

I tried to pm you, but your box is full so it wouldn't send it... so here is my pm for you and the rest of the world...

vndy--just wanted you to know I'm so proud of you! Not only are you home and doing well and keeping us posted on how it went, but you are busy reading other's posts and giving encouraging responses. You are fantastic! Do you have plenty of support at home? Just don't overdo things, ok? You are very special and need a lot of TLC right now. Take care!

Lori--I don't want this to detract from Chris and your needs-- but I think it's also so encouraging to see how well vndy is doing after such a short time. There really must be something about being younger when you have this surgery! (I know they say that, but here's living proof...) At 8 days I still felt like there was no way I could leave the hospital anytime soon... at 11 days I did, but barely.
        71 and plugging along... but having some problems
        2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
        5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
        Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
        CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
        10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Lori,

You have prayers from people all over the world. People who care about you and Chris and your entire family. I am glad the day is finally here so that you can put this behind you. Wed late afternoon, Chris will be on the other side of surgery and you will not feel so helpless. Chris will need you to be there for him and help take care of him. The worst will be over. We wish for Chris a successful surgery and a speedy recovery. Someone on this site told me that she prays I feel the joy of seeing Nicole after surgery the same way I felt when she was born. It really was exactly like that. When they said we could go in and see her, the feeling of elation was unbelievable. May you concentrate on that and what a blessing Chris is to your family.
          Melissa
          From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
          Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

Lori, you have so many positive thoughts from so many embracing you and Chris as you take this step toward your new lives ... and a nice, new, STRAIGHTER body for Chris ;-).

It's your turn to accept the support you so freely give others here ... and I cannot WAIT to hear good news soon!

Big cyber hugs, and warm regards,
            Pam
            Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
            AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
            Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
            Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
            EMAIL ME

Comment

Lori

Chris and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers. I know everything will be ok, hang in there. I will be anxiously waiting to hear from you.

Hugs
              Sherie

Comment

The time before in many ways is the worst. It still amazes me at how quickly life returned to normal after Patrick's surgery. It will for you, Chris and your family too. Will be thinking of you tomorrow.

Ramona
                mom of Patrick, age 15 at time of surgery
                diagnosed July 2006 curves T58 L 38

Nov. 2006 curves T72 L38
                also lordoscoliosis

feb.2007 curves T79 L43

Surgery May 16 2007
                fused T4 to L1

Comment

Lori,

All my best to you and Chris. He (and you) will be in my thoughts and prayers tomorrow. He'll do GREAT - and they will take wonderful care of him.

Every time I read about one of these kids it amazes me how quickly most of them bounce back. I'm sure Chris will as well!

Please report back as soon as you are able to.

BIG HUGS,
                  mariaf305@yahoo.com
                  Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
                  Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Hope everything goes smoothly and the week passes by quickly for your family. I will be thinking of you and praying for a successful surgery.
                    Ruth
                    Ruth, 50 years old (s-shaped 30 degree scoliosis) with degenerative disc disease, married to Mike. Mother to two children - Son 18 and daughter 14. Both have idiopathic scoliosis. Son (T38, L29) has not needed surgery to date. Daughter (March 08 - T62, L63).

Comment

Hi Lori,

Thinking of you and Chris & sending good wishes for a successful, uncomplicated surgery and recovery your way. I know you are very well researched and prepared to help Chris get through this a smoothly as possible. Please let us know how everything goes as soon as you're able.

Take care,
                      Renee

Comment

Lori,

Ditto what everyone else said. Our best wishes and prayers to you and Chris these next few days and weeks. The surgery time will be hard because there is nothing for YOU to be doing, except worry. Remember that we are all here with a collectively large shoulder to lean on. Hopefully that will help you feel better. You both will do great. Try not to think about too many things at once. One step at a time. We'll be anxious to hear how things go.

Our best!
                        Carmell
                        mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

Thank you so much for all of your good wishes and prayers. You have no idea how much they mean to me. This is the hardest thing we have ever had to go through and it's heartwarming to know that people that I have never "met" could be so kind and supportive. I'm so glad to have all of you along with me on this scoliosis journey.

Hugs to all of you,
                          Lori

Mom to Christopher, age 17, Mark, 13, Heather, 10 and Michael, 8
                          Chris had surgery with Dr. John Flynn at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia on December 12, 2007. He is fused T4 to L4.
                          Dr. Flynn is an AMAZING surgeon!

Comment

Good luck i'm sure your son will do fine!
                            Sugery: Wednesday, June 27, 2007
                            Fused: T3-L4
                            Hospital: St. Louis Childrens Hospital

Comment

Good Luck - think positive thoughts. It will be a long day, but think about how wonderful it will feel when this surgery is done and you guys don't have to think about it anymore!
                              Ashley

Comment

Working...
                              X