Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FINALLY home!

Hi Everyone!

I wanted to let you know I just got home, after just about a full week in the hospital (surgery was Monday). I'll write a day-by-day of it as soon as I have the energy, but the highlights....

ILLIUS- as many of you have said, my stomach actually caused me more trouble than my back. After they started me on a clear liquid diet, all the food just sat in my stomach, causing it to become really painful and distended. They put me back on IV fluids for a few days. They listed to it with a stethoscope often, and today finally heard noises significant enough to let me go home!

Day 2 - They decided (clearly without much thought..) to take me for xrays the day after surgery. After moving me from my hospital bed to the gurney, through the hospital (lots of bumps), and from the gurney to the xray table (where they left me by myself for a LONG time), they realized the xrays were supposed to be STANDING, which was obviously out of the question... As soon as I got back to my hospital bed, I starting throwing up a color not found in nature..gee, thanks. ugh.

The magic disappearing Blood Pressure - Days 2-4, every time the PT would come to help me learn to sit, stand, and walk, he'd first take my blood pressure laying in bed, where it was fairly close to normal ( anywhere between 90/50 and 110/70). Then, I'd logroll, sit up, and he'd take it again. It dropped scary low each time (like, 50/40 at worst)... The result was it took me a couple extra days to start moving around...

Brace - I don't need a post-op brace!!! Apparently the surgery went so well that the surgeon decided it was unnecessary because the hardware was so secure, and all but one fused vertebrae was protected by my rib cage. What a nice surprise!

All in all, I'm feeling good at the moment. My back feels like a giant bruise, and my tummy is gurgling. I feel proud. Thank you again and again for all your advice, prayers, well-wishes and support!
    Last edited by vndy; 12-09-2007, 03:13 PM.
    2000 34*L/39*T
    2007 44*L/53*T

12.3.07 Posterior Spinal Fusion T4-T12
    (initially planned T4-L1)
    12.18.07 11*L/10*T

23 years old

That's great!

Vndy--it was just great to hear from you! So glad most things went well. That's super about no brace! I'm looking forward to hearing more about your time in the hospital, as I'm sure lots others will be too-- especially the ones still on the "other side" of surgery.

Take care of yourself--don't try too much too fast. And keep us knowing how it's going. It's just great to hear you're home!
    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Gooooooo, vndy!!!

Can't wait to follow your progress (especially since yours is SO very close to mine in approach, degree and levels ;-).

All the best to you in a speedy and uneventful recovery!

Best regards,
      Pam
      Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
      AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
      Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
      Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
      EMAIL ME

Comment

Welcome Home!

I am so happy for you!! I have thought about you lots and lots over the last week. Congratulations on a successful surgery and horray for being on the other side! I can't wait to hear more details about your surgery and I look forward to seeing pictures of your "new back". Many more best wishes for a smooth and uneventful recovery!

Big hugs to you,
        Lori

Mom to Christopher, age 17, Mark, 13, Heather, 10 and Michael, 8
        Chris had surgery with Dr. John Flynn at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia on December 12, 2007. He is fused T4 to L4.
        Dr. Flynn is an AMAZING surgeon!

Comment

Hi there and welcome back! So glad you're okay. Keep us posted!
          Chris
          A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
          Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
          Post-op curve: 12 degrees
          Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Yeah Vndy,

I was so happy to see that you posted. I have been checking the forum daily to see if there was an update from you. It sounds like you are being very strong through all of this. It almost gives me chills thinking back just a few months ago and remembering that I went through some of the things that you are going through. I can't believe you are already up to typing on the computer, what a great sign!!! I hope your support system is staying close by your side. Can't wait to hear about the progress you will be making. Take care, I will be thinking about you.

Christine
            Last edited by Christine84; 12-09-2007, 06:04 PM.
            Surgery completed July, 2007
            Fused from T4-T12
            23years old

Comment

I've been looking forward to hearing from you this week - so glad that you are home, that is a big first step in recovery! I wish you the best in the coming weeks and months, and can't wait to hear about all your experiences.
              31 year old female
              55* (day of surgery) thoracic curve w/compensatory lumbar
              T4-T12 on Aug 15, 2007

MRI, pre-surgery
              Xray, 3 mos. post-op
              Machu Picchu, 8 mos. post-op

Comment

Congratulations!

Hi Vindy,

Congratulations on your strength and fortitude to start a new chapter of your life -- a chapter with less pain, more endurance and a bright future! Hopefully, the uncomfortable aspects of your post op hospital stay will shortly be just a memory blur. Be kind to yourself and be sure to rest regularly so you can enjoy the holiday season and so you will be ready to resume your studies and work early in 2008!

Linda
                Linda
                Two-stage A/P fusion T6-S1 with lumbar implants June 12 & June 27, 2007 at age 57
                S curve 75+ degrees with kyphosis
                Now 45 degrees and standing 3 inches taller!
                Dr. Frank Rand, New England Baptist Hospital, Boston

Comment

Congratulations, Vndy. Home on day 7 - wow!!! I think you are the first of the many December patients, and I'm glad to hear that things went well (except for the x-ray transfer torment).

I look forward to your progress reports - not that I could compare myself to you - I am a "few" years older.

Best of luck.
                  As of 12/25/07, age 62, 100* thoracic kyphosis, 73* L1-S1 lordosis, 37*/25* compensatory S-curve scoliosis. On 12/26/07, Dr. Boachie @ HSS NYC did 11 hours ant. & post. procedures, fused T2-L2, kyphosis now 57*, scoli 10*. Regained 2 1/4 inches in height!! Improving every day.

Comment

I am so happy you are doing well, be sure to keep us updated on 'the things you wish you would have known/done/asked'!

Keep strong!
                    Roseann
                    2001 T-sp 58* L-sp 55*
                    2007 T-sp 64* L-sp 67*
                    Surgery Dec. 21 2007
                    Posterior fusion T3 to L3

Comment

Vndy,
                      I'm so glad you made it through just fine and that you are home safe and sound. I leave Wednesday afternoon for L.A. and surgery on Thursday morning. I have been thinking of you often this past week. I look forward to sharing surgery/recovery stories with you soon. Stay strong!
                      Geish
                      47 years old, dx at 13
                      +30* to the right, +60* to the left, +30* to the right
                      Surgery 12-13-07 - fusion from T4 to sacrum.

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=267 Pre surgery
                      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=268 Post surgery
                      http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/DSC01091.jpg Xray from the side
                      http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1089-1-1-1.jpg Xray from the back

Comment

Congratulations! So glad you are home!!! Your hospital stay sounds a lot like mine - you are over the worst part now. I wish you strength, rest, peace, and faith as you recover. It will get better. Take it easy and congrats on getting through surgery and the hospital stay.

Best,
                        Anya
                        "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
                        Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
                        19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

welcome home vndy!!!

It's so good to know you're home! yep, I remember the nausea more than the pain, too... glad it's becoming a memory only now... and by the way..... we want pictures!!!!! congratulations, sweetie! You will love your new back......
                          Lisa age 47
                          T curve 69 degrees
                          L curve 40 degrees more or less - compensatory
                          fused to from T-3 to sacrum
                          anterior and posterior surgeries completed June 1, 2007
                          pushing hard in recovery !!

Comment

Welcome home,

And keep up the postive attitude!!! Things just get better as times goes by.

Shari

Comment

So glad to hear you're home! Welcome back. You mention not needing a brace... do you feel unsupported at all? I'll be 8 weeks post op and feel like i'm not ready to give up the brace yet =(

Take care and get lots of rest!

- Jane
                              -----------------
                              Jane

34 yrs old
                              Diagnosed at 12; Boston Brace for a year; ScoliTron for 3 months. Curves left untreated after 13 yrs old until 27yrs old.
                              Pre-Op Upper Curve: 49; Post-Op: 14
                              Pre-Op Lower Curve: 51; Post-Op: 18
                              Posterior Reconstruction from T2-L3 on Oct 22, 2007
                              Dr McNulty - UMC Hospital

Las Vegas, NV

Comment

Working...
                              X