Erroneous blood test results from Red Cross

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Erroneous blood test results from Red Cross

I was informed by the local Red Cross that the 1 unit of blood that I was able to donate had tested positive for Hepatitus C.
    My own doctor ordered new tests, which, no great surprise, came back negative. Apparantly cross-contamination in labs is not that uncommon (possibly from Hep C positive control samples ??).

Since Hep C is spread thru blood transfusions or shared needles, neither of which I've ever done, I felt the Red Cross results were wrong. Nonetheless, I received this info from the Red Cross the day before Thanksgiving, and since I couldn't reach my doctors until Monday, I was sick with worry for 5 days that my surgery would be cancelled (turns out no big deal even if I were Hep C positive).
    MORAL OF STORY: if you receive a positive test result that makes no sense given your lifestyle, be sure to have a second test done at another lab. This cross-contamination issue is really scarey.
    As of 12/25/07, age 62, 100* thoracic kyphosis, 73* L1-S1 lordosis, 37*/25* compensatory S-curve scoliosis. On 12/26/07, Dr. Boachie @ HSS NYC did 11 hours ant. & post. procedures, fused T2-L2, kyphosis now 57*, scoli 10*. Regained 2 1/4 inches in height!! Improving every day.

That's good to know, Janet. I did 4 units of blood, with no problems (I am thankful!) through American Red Cross. So it's not a problem everywhere...
    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

The same thing happened to me. It's sad that these mistakes can be made in this age of such great technology. I thought I had Hep C for over a year after my surgery.

Shari

Comment

Shari - thanks for letting me know I was not the only one subject to this screw-up. That must have been awful to have been misinformed for such a long time.

I don't know what really goes on in labs, but if the lab workers are low-paid and undersupervised, I doubt if any technology can address this problem.
        As of 12/25/07, age 62, 100* thoracic kyphosis, 73* L1-S1 lordosis, 37*/25* compensatory S-curve scoliosis. On 12/26/07, Dr. Boachie @ HSS NYC did 11 hours ant. & post. procedures, fused T2-L2, kyphosis now 57*, scoli 10*. Regained 2 1/4 inches in height!! Improving every day.

Comment

Working...
        X