Post-op problems with arm/shoulder ROM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post-op problems with arm/shoulder ROM

Just wondering if anyone else has had problems with their arm/shoulder range of motion (ROM). I'm going to physical therapy, started about a month ago-- and found out there that the ROM in my arm/shoulder area is less than half of what it should be. I know it takes awhile to recover from this surgery, and am busy working on this problem now with physical therapy. I wondered if this is something that is common or not. I'm 7 months post-op now, and hoped to be doing really fine by this time. I am in so many ways, so I'm not complaining.

With my ROM limitations, I have a hard time fastening my bra, taking cardigan type sweaters off, reaching my seat belt, etc. Anyone else with this problem? My fusion is from T2-L4. And I'm hoping I won't develop other problems. Just above my fusion area I was getting a lot of discomfort yesterday, as I finished off my Christmas cards. I think it was just from being in that writing position for too long... That is getting off the subject though. Just let me know if some of you developed ROM problems post-op-- and if you worked through it or not with time and/or pt. Thanks!
    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Susie-Bee

I can't help with post-op ROM issues, but I've had right-side ROM problems for years (which I hope will be improved post-surgery). My coping mechanism for fastening bras is to wear only those with the hooks in front. I've been wearing "posture bras" for several years - they are not easy to find (I found mine on the internet) and they sure do not look pretty or even come in nice colors, but they solved my problem of the right strap always slipping off my shoulder.

As for the seat belt, perhaps you can attach a loop or hook around the belt to help pull it toward you. And if your car does not have leather seats, try placing large plastic trash bags on the seat and seat back to facilitate sliding in & out.

Best wishes for the ROM problems to resolve very soon.
    As of 12/25/07, age 62, 100* thoracic kyphosis, 73* L1-S1 lordosis, 37*/25* compensatory S-curve scoliosis. On 12/26/07, Dr. Boachie @ HSS NYC did 11 hours ant. & post. procedures, fused T2-L2, kyphosis now 57*, scoli 10*. Regained 2 1/4 inches in height!! Improving every day.

Comment

Thanks!

Janet--thanks for the suggestions. It sounds like you have dealt with that problem very effectively. I've got my system down for those issues too-- either live with a quick fastening accompanied by pain, or fasten in front and then twist the bra around. I have a really hard time finding bras that fit right, so hate to try mail order ones. As for the seat belt dilemma, I've just been pivoting on my derierre (how do you spell that??) to grab the seat belt, then back to facing forward. I mostly wondered if others had been affected with limited ROM post-op. And if so, did it get better... I guess I'll find out eventually!
      71 and plugging along... but having some problems
      2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
      5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
      Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
      CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
      10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Working...
      X