Eh .. why not do it now ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eh .. why not do it now ...

My sig now includes an A/P xray taken at Hanson's office 12/5/07. My friends that have seen it have FREAKED (and I know mine is mild in comparison to many).

Funniest response, "Girl HOW are you not in pain 100% of the time???!".

Doh!

Anyway, I know if I don't document this while it's fresh on the brain I'll be wondering afterwards "... what the *%&^ did I do with that CD that had my pre-op xrays???".

Regards,
    Pam
    Last edited by txmarinemom; 12-05-2007, 06:48 PM.
    Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
    AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
    Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
    Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
    EMAIL ME

Nice!

Not the curve--but the quality of your x-ray is really nice. Mine show more of the tissue, so the bones are not so defined, other than the spine itself.

Yes, it does show that you have a problem! And when you're talking to friends, a picture is worth a thousand words. I don't think they quite understand till they see an x-ray.

Thanks for sharing!
    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Gotta love digital

Thank you for sharing your pic!
      We just got digital x-ray at my school, they are so fantastic! Unfortunately I don't have copies of mine on me, so I can't share with you guys!

I used to hate seeing my x-rays cause I think I was in denial about how bad it is.... Now I think it is kind of cool. I had one of my friends take some pictures of my back with my shirt off, and when I was looking at them my first reaction was, "ick, I can't believe I wear a bikini looking like that." I thought I had gotten over being self conscious about it (when I was 14, one of my older sisters told me that I look funny in halter tops because of my back... thanks...) I talked myself out of it, and now I"m thinking about going in the hot tub...In my bikini.

That been said, I got a little off topic, but I've already starting convincing myself of how bad ass I will look with a 14" scar down the middle of my back!

good luck with all your endeavors, we are all rooting for you and are here to help!

Maybe I'll show you guys my pre and post op pics with x-rays too!
      2001 T-sp 58* L-sp 55*
      2007 T-sp 64* L-sp 67*
      Surgery Dec. 21 2007
      Posterior fusion T3 to L3

Comment

LOL, Rosie ...

I'm already mentally adding my impending 14 incher to my collection.

From knee surgeries to ankle surgeries to 80 mph softballs to the teeth (luckily, they're all still in my mouth - LOL), it's always been my view that scars show I've lived.

You only get one go 'round ;-).

Regards,
        Pam

VIEW MY X-RAYS
        EMAIL ME

Comment

I like your attitude about the scar. Before I even had my surgery I was already worried about how to make the scar disappear, or how big is would be. But now, I don't think I'd get rid of it I could. It's a part of me, and represents a lot of what I've been through. I know it might sound silly, but I actually kind of like it now haha
          I don't have a pre-op x-ray, but I do have before and after pictures of my back. I hadn't looked at them in years until about a month ago. I still can't look at them without getting a little emotional. I'll never forget that first time I looked at myself in the mirror after surgery, it was such an amazing/overwhelming feeling to see my back like that, so straight, a thing most people take for granted

Comment

Thanks for posting the x-ray - looks just like mine! We all will be waiting to see your post-op x-ray! I feel the same about the scar - I'd much rather have a scar than a painful, crooked back. I'm hoping to schedule my surgery for March or April. Will be thinking about you as your date approaches.
            Ashley

Comment

I was thinking...

So, I don't know if any of you have seen this, but I saw one person who had a zipper pull tattooed on at the very bottom of their scar, which was for a hip surgery she had when she was younger.

Anyone else want one of those? No one will see it, but you and I will know it is there. To me, I think it would be like where I got unzipped and put back together, a fresh start.

I really want to get that... the only problem is that my mother is diametrically opposed to tattoos, but based on my history that probably wouldn't stop me... I'm kind of a bad girl. (I moved to CA at 20, 4 months later got my ears pierced, yes at age 21, then 2 months later, my boyfriend, now husband, moved in with me.) My mom is getting better, or she stopped caring. one of the two.

I'm changed now, I have to, cause I'll be a doctor in two and a half years, then I have to look "credible".

Rosie
              2001 T-sp 58* L-sp 55*
              2007 T-sp 64* L-sp 67*
              Surgery Dec. 21 2007
              Posterior fusion T3 to L3

Comment

Pam,

I only wish my spine looked that good! You should see what my 80º thoracolumbar curve looks like. And what amazes me is that still I have relatively little discomfort. Today my thumb joints are killing me from arthritis (it’s 3º where I live), but my back feels just fine. Go figure. You’re lucky that your fusion will not have to include the lumbar levels other than L1.

Chris

Comment

Oh, I realize mine is minor in comparison. The ONLY reason I'm doing this is because it's hurt since I was 10, and although the curvature isn't progressing, the pain *is*. I'd rather address it now than wait - and risk a tougher recovery.

The mature, courageous ladies here who've lived with extreme curves, and/or endured recovery from long fusions, osteotomies, revisions, etc. have my intense respect!

All the best,
                  Pam

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                  EMAIL ME

Comment

Hey Pam,
                    I have learned not to compare my pre surgery x-ray to others as it makes me feel as though I hardly had a curve at all. I had a 49* lumbar curve which looked bad but nothing like most double curves. I had my surgery when I did because of the horrible pain! (And I was progressing 4* per yr.) It is amazing the HUGE curves some have with little or no pain. It might be that the double curve balances somewhat.....

Chris WBS,
                    I have no problem with my T10 to L4 fusion. As long as you aren't fused to S1 you still have a lot of flexibility. I have noticed very minimal loss.

Rosie,
                    I LOVE the zipper pull tattoo idea! I would put it at the top of my scar though. On 2nd thought, I have heard it hurts worse to tattoo over scar tissue.

Comment

I too was distraught every time I saw my newest x-rays, with the curves continuing to increase. My son was aghast when he finally saw the images in April. If I have the time and patience, I'll take some photos of the before (and soon-to-be after) x-rays to post here. I may even have these photos framed and placed somewhere in my house - certainly would be a conversation piece!

I look forward to having a scar instead of a humpback - to me it will be something to be proud of - a badge of honor. I love the zipper tattoo idea but I am not gutsy enough to get one. I would run out (once recovered) and buy a very low-cut-back dress to show off the scar, except that at my age that much exposed flesh would scare children & horses.

And as part of my "fresh start" I've given away about 2/3 of my clothes, some old furniture and other stuff that I was holding onto, and just had my bedroom and bath renovated and bought new bedroom furniture - it feels great!! I highly recommend this purging-the-past process - the money you save by not going to therapy just about pays for all the new things!
                      As of 12/25/07, age 62, 100* thoracic kyphosis, 73* L1-S1 lordosis, 37*/25* compensatory S-curve scoliosis. On 12/26/07, Dr. Boachie @ HSS NYC did 11 hours ant. & post. procedures, fused T2-L2, kyphosis now 57*, scoli 10*. Regained 2 1/4 inches in height!! Improving every day.

Comment

Laff ... I have several tats already (one over a scar - my first ankle "incident"), and actually, it's usually a toss up (over scar tissue) between numb and hypersensitive.

My ankle reconstruction wasn't bad - and I maintained the feeling after surgery (and on the subsequent scar).

My knee? After 3 surgeries, there are still places of one scar that itches, and has some nerve stimulation ... yet when I *touch* it, no feeling.

Ya never know.
                        Last edited by txmarinemom; 12-07-2007, 07:23 PM.

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                        EMAIL ME

Comment

I could be looking at my own x-rays (atleast, the pre-op ones) when I look at yours! It's amazing how much more people understand what all of this means when they see those images. Even my parents didn't fully grasp what was going on until they saw my MRI.

Yep, it's time for you!
                          31 year old female
                          55* (day of surgery) thoracic curve w/compensatory lumbar
                          T4-T12 on Aug 15, 2007

MRI, pre-surgery
                          Xray, 3 mos. post-op
                          Machu Picchu, 8 mos. post-op

Comment

[QUOTE=Suzy] It might be that the double curve balances somewhat...../QUOTE]

Suzy, My spine actually looks like a big C. It's like having my own monogrammed spine...C for Chris.

Janet, I love the idea of photo-framing your xrays throughout your house. You can call them your abstract art pieces.

Comment

Originally posted by geo
                              I could be looking at my own x-rays (atleast, the pre-op ones) when I look at yours!
                              Yep, Geo ... we've spoken about how similarly "off-kilter" we are - LOL! I bet they *do* look identical because my last Cobb (from that x-ray) was 53°. I just say ±50° because over the last 10 years - and the ±5° margin of error - it's measured 49° to 53° (within range, and it's normally closer to 50°.)

Yes, everyone who's seen mine has been shocked. Reactions have pretty much consisted of:

"Damn!"
                              "Duuuuuuuude!"
                              "That's gotta hurt!" (ya think???)
                              "Wow!!!"

Heh.

Oh, aside, I got laid off yesterday (with 11 other people). While my boss had no problems with me working from home, HR had a HUGE issue ... and potentially made a monumental screwup when they said (in a meeting, in front of my boss) how expensive surgery would be - at their (we're self-insured) expense.

So later today, I will go in, get the details on severance, COBRA ... and get this - LMAO ... the QUALITY AWARD for exemplary performance I received last week.

I'm doing okay, so no condolences necessary. I'll pick up some home based programming projects until surgery, and on the upside, not being on the clock 40 hrs a week will give me ample time to prepare by house, mind and body for Feb. surgery.

I choose to see it as a blessing in disguise. That said, I DO plain to be a pain in their a** - and will be pursuing the discrimination angle.

With COBRA coverage, they'll have to cover surgery ANYWAY, but I think they feel they dodged the cost of paying STD after surgery. I'm not going to make it THAT easy on them ;-).

Regards to all,
                              Pam
                              Last edited by txmarinemom; 12-07-2007, 07:25 PM.

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                              EMAIL ME

Comment

Working...
                              X