Today's worry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today's worry

I know, I know, I worry too much -- but still. I've been sitting with pillows ever since surgery and yesterday I experimented with sitting in differennt chairs without a pillow. I no longer have a hump, BUT....I was really surprised that that three or four vertebrae in the spine just above my fusion are quite prominent and stick out enough to be uncomfortable against the back of a chair. It doesn't stick out like kyphosis or anything; it's just prominent. It's also itchy. I'm thin but not skinny. I'm fused T-10 to L-5.

This is very upsetting to me because I was so looking forward to sitting comfortably after this surgery. You all know how uncomfortable it is to sit with a hump and now I have this knobby spine in the middle of my back. Is this normal???
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

I am almost 10 months post op and my top vertebrae above the fusion kind of stick out. I couldn't lean back against a chair or anything hard without it hurting or uncomfortable but for about the last three 3 months it is much better. I can now lean back comfortable and without the pain. As for the itchiness, I still have it at times and sometimes it so itchy I can't scratch it enough.

Sue

Comment

Could it be the tops of the rods that you are feeling or the screws? I felt that too until i had my hardware removed a couple of months ago. Now it's gone.

Comment

I have that too - I'm going to speak with my surgeon for my 6 month (!) check up next week about it. I'll let you know if I find out anything useful.

Best,
        Anya
        "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
        Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
        19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

chris--check w/ the doctor when you go in this month. I had such a huge hump prior to surgery that to me, all feels so flat now. I still have the upper curve unfused & feel the curve/bump there by touch but does'nt seem to bother me on lying down or sitting. I was so bad before & could'nt sit on any flat back chair or lie down comfortably & now I can so I'm thrilled ....Ly

Comment

JoAnn -- it's definitely above the fusion and the rods....just three vertebrae that stick out more than the others.

It's reassuring that others of you have felt this too.
            Chris
            A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
            Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
            Post-op curve: 12 degrees
            Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Working...
            X