working out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• working out?

Hi, I am wondering, along with a million other questions....once you have recovered from surgery how do you keep your stomach strong with out the flexion/extension in your back. I teach pilates and it looks like I will most likely be getting this surgery done, and I'm wondering how much, if at all, can you strengthen your core/abdominals? Sounds like a silly question but this surgery will effect my job. So any responses will help.

I was concerned about that to, and I discovered that it takes about 6 months to a year for everything to fully fuse, and then, at that time, you can start doing any exercise that you feel comfortable with. Just take it easy at first, then start trying different ones, to see what you are capable of.

It also depends on what levels you need to have stabilized, as long as not all your lumbars are fused, you will still be able to flex and extend quite a bit, it will just be somewhat limited at first. I knew a woman who was fused to L3, who was a yoga instructor, and in a year or so after surgery, she could touch her toes.

It is like they say, where there is a will, there is a way.
    2001 T-sp 58* L-sp 55*
    2007 T-sp 64* L-sp 67*
    Surgery Dec. 21 2007
    Posterior fusion T3 to L3

Comment

There's a book written by authors who had multiple back surgeries and one is a Pilates instructor -with a foreword by my surgeon, Dr. Boachie called "Pilates for Fragile Backs".

http://www.pilatesforfragilebacks.com/

I plan to get the book myself.

“This book is a must-read for the able-bodied, those with chronic back ailments, as well as post-operative patients looking for a simple but effective exercise program to reduce pain and restore mobility and function.”

Oheneba Boachie-Adjei, MD
      Chief of the Scoliosis Service
      Hospital for Special Surgery, New York
      Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
      Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Hi...

A lot depends on the levels that you have fused, but there are a lot of core strengthening exercises that don't actually involve the muscles directly attached to the spine.

Regards,
        Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I went to PT and learned a lot of exercises that can be done to keep both lower back and ab muscles strong. I'd advise going to PT and having a trained professional who is used to working with post-op patients train you.

Comment

Working...
          X