Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Engaged! Advice on wedding date, please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engaged! Advice on wedding date, please.

Hi all.

Progress is progressing, I suppose. I definitely feel that I've plateaued, so sometimes I get down about that, but in other news....

I got engaged the day after Thanksgiving! So I'm hoping for advice on how far out to set the date. Background: 33 years old, fused T9 to L5 on October 3, 2007. No complications really. Apparently textbook recovery.

I'm considering May the 10th as the wedding date. I don't want to wait too long--I've known the groom for half my life--believe me when I tell you that we're not rushing into this. I'll be back in school in September (no classes, but deadlines from my dissertation committee). My concern, ofcourse, is not being recovered fully enough to enjoy the day as much as I've always hoped. There has always been lots of dancing in my imagination.

What do you guys think about scheduling the wedding for 6 months post-op?

Thanks.

Holly
    Last edited by shegiles; 11-30-2007, 12:35 AM. Reason: clarity
    Age 33
    40 degree diagnosed 1993; 70ish degree 2007
    Fusion to T9 to L5 October 3, 2007 with Dr. Kurt Von Rueden
    Corrected to 8 degrees

Congratulations!

I have no advice, but congratulations! I'm sure your "new" back will make your grand entrance that much more dramatic, with your new hight and great posture. Enjoy!!
    2000 34*L/39*T
    2007 44*L/53*T

12.3.07 Posterior Spinal Fusion T4-T12
    (initially planned T4-L1)
    12.18.07 11*L/10*T

23 years old

Comment

Congratulations!!

May....hmmmm....that's six months out. If it were me I sure wouldn't be ready to be doing any dancing, but then again I'm 20 years older than you are. It's been said billions of times because it's true: everybody's different. Go with your best instincts on this one.

Best wishes!
      Chris
      A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
      Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
      Post-op curve: 12 degrees
      Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Congratulations! What a wonderful even to happen in your life, especially after surgery. I'm about 6 months out of surgery now (a little younger than you) and if I think about putting myself in your shoes I might want another month or two to wait. I don't know though - it sounds like your recovery is going well and you are the only one who really knows how you feel. I got married before my surgery and was in SOOO much pain during my ceremony and reception. I always wished that I had my surgery before my wedding, but I had tons of fun despite the intense back pain! I hope your new back will give you a pain-free day to enjoy your wedding!!!

Best,
        Anya
        "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
        Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
        19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

I also had my surgery in my 30's (when I was 33) and I was back to working full time (in a school) five months post-op (I had surgery in April and had the whole summer off to recover) I think you have to go with how you are feeling. I don't think I felt 100% until about 9-10 months post-op. I also had anterior and posterior surgery, which was a longer recovery time. You should make sure you are fused completely, especially if you plan to dance.
          Did you have both anterior and posterior surgery, or just posterior?

Congratulations on your engagement...I was married before my surgery, and was uncomfortable the whole day...AND they had to put an insert into one side of my dress to make me look straighter because I was so crooked! You'll have a nice straight back for your wedding!!

Heather
          Heather
          Surgery date: April 20, 2004
          Anterior/posterior surgery
          Fused T-11 to L-5
          Pre op lumbar curve: 70 degrees, thoracic curve: 42 degrees
          Post op lumbar curve: 19 degrees, thoracic curve: 18
          Surgeon: Dr. Boachie-Adjei
          Had successful pregnancy and birth 2 years post-op

Comment

Wow, Holly! your life is sure on the upswing!! i am so happy for you, as you really hung in there and did it! Now, before I offer up an opinion, tell me what kind of wedding do you plan on having? Some people want a sunset wedding on the beach, and then you have the weddings like Eva Longoria that last for days....most of all, congratulations on your textbook recovery!
            Lisa age 47
            T curve 69 degrees
            L curve 40 degrees more or less - compensatory
            fused to from T-3 to sacrum
            anterior and posterior surgeries completed June 1, 2007
            pushing hard in recovery !!

Comment

Congratulations!!!

Congratulations, Holly!!! That is wonderful news! Wow! I don't have any advise, but I just wanted to cngratulate you.
              44 year old female
              Surgery on Nov. 1, 2010
              Dr. Darrell Hanson, Methodist Hospital
              Posterior Only, 9 hours
              Presurgical: T 61 Degrees, L 58 degrees, with 15 degrees of thoracolumbar rotation
              Postsurgical: T 26, L 25

Comment

Hi Holly!

Congratulations on your engagement! It is going to depend on your plans for your wedding as to how soon you can enjoy it. I danced at 7 months for about 1 1/2 hrs (Total all night) in heels! I took it easy and sat down quite a bit during the evening that I went out and did this. If you have a huge wedding where you will be on your feet all the time dancing and greeting guests it might be tough. If it it smaller and you can sit to rest you should be O.K.

Our fusions are almost the same and you are 10 years younger. You can read my threads to see where I was at 3,6,9,12 and 18 months post op. in my recovery. I looked back to see when it was I went dancing because it was a milestone for me.

Comment

Congrats!, I'm only 5 months out and I'm doing all what I did pre-op so you should be fine
                  Sugery: Wednesday, June 27, 2007
                  Fused: T3-L4
                  Hospital: St. Louis Childrens Hospital

Comment

Congratulations Holly! Wow, you will have so much to tell your grandchildren about the year 2007

As for dancing and all that 6 months post-op...I'm at four months now and feeling great, and my energy levels are back to what they were, but my back does let me know when I've had a long day. It's so hard to know, though, what two more months will bring. You'll want the energy and stamina not just for the wedding day itself, but for all the hours of planning that it will take!

I know what you mean about plateauing, I felt the same way, and then one day something (don't remember what) made me realize how different I felt from just the month before. The thing is, I think, that we hit major stuff all around the same time - independent showers, and driving, and returning to work/school - that there's not a lot of major stuff left and we feel like we aren't getting anywhere, when really we ARE. Your body is healing itself more and more every day. My body is still healing at the incision, and my doctor said I've still got months to go on just that.

I hope you let us know eventually what you decide. I'm very happy for you!!
                    31 year old female
                    55* (day of surgery) thoracic curve w/compensatory lumbar
                    T4-T12 on Aug 15, 2007

MRI, pre-surgery
                    Xray, 3 mos. post-op
                    Machu Picchu, 8 mos. post-op

Comment

Congratulations Holly,

What a wonderful Thanksgiving present!!! Just think how beautiful you will look in your wedding gown!!!

Shari

Comment

Congrats!! My daughter danced in "The Nutcracker" 6 months after her surgery.
                        T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
                        2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
                        3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
                        Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

Go for it!

Hi Holly - My cast was removed on November 19, 1981 and I got married on April 30, 1982 a little over five months. It was great! I got my gown right after the cast came off, all the other arrangements were already done and down the aisle I went. It was the BEST day of my life - I was completely pain free. We just celebrated our 25th! Congratulations on yours surgery and wedding. Lynn
                          1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
                          2000 Partial Rod Removal
                          2001 Right Scapular Resection
                          12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
                          06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

Working...
                          X