How ironic is this...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How ironic is this...

I just posted the thread about twisting and bending and would you believe it... I just almost fell on my bathroom floor. I slipped on a towel that I had left on the floor, which was, to begin with "very careless" to say the least. I never hit the floor because I caught myself, I grabbed whatever I could to keep from falling. Well, that just happened last night and I feel a little sore this morning, like in my arms. I do not have any back pain. If I jarred something loose i.e. rods and/or screws don't you think I would be in a lot of pain or feel it somehow? Do you know how titanium holds up such as...are the rods and screws pretty tough and strong? I never did ask my doc what would happen if I fell down!!!

Thank you all for your input on my post here. Sometimes I think I do get a little too paranoid.
    A/P Surgery Oct.15 and 18, 2007
    T2 to Sacrum
    Pre-surgery 56* T 60* L
    Post-surgery 28* T 30* L
    Dr. Pashman, Cedars-Sinai Hospital
    Bevery Hills, CA

Debbie, age 51 at surgery.
    Now, 59 yrs young :-)

I'm sorry! I have done things like that and my husband reminds me that the rods/screws/hooks are in there for good. They are unlikely to move, break, etc. If you are really worried, I would contact your surgeon, but rest may be the best medicine.

Feel better,
    Anya
    "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
    Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
    19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

So just how fragile are our fusing spines & hardware

Hi Debbie - When I went for an x-ray after a near-fall the wek before last (my fusion surgeries were on 9/26 & 10/16) everything looked fine on the films.
      My surgeon met us in the xray area, read the films and talked with us. He said that while I should continue to be as cautious about not doing things prohibited (bending, twisting, etc.) as indicated in the post-op material he'd given me, that it actually takes a fairly significant event to really damage the instrumentation and the developing fusion. He said (for example) he's only ever had one patient whose screws pulled out of their moorings, and that was a mentally disturbed patient who'd decided to carry a large household appliance up a flight of stairs. Extreme example, of course, but I think he was trying to convey reassurance that if we basically comply with the recovery regimen, we're going to be fine if there's a little mishap.

Best wishes; hope you'll soon find that all's well with your recovery.

Ginny

(Greater Boston area)

Comment

Thank you Ginny and Anya for the reassurance. I get nervous, I'm just maybe a little over-protective of my back I guess. You really gave me a big "sigh of relief". This instrumentation is pretty heavy duty stuff. I imagine the drs. need to over emphasize on the bending, lifting, twisting just because of people "for instance" the guy carrying a big appliance up a flight of stairs .

Thanks soooo much!!!
        Deb
        A/P Surgery Oct.15 and 18, 2007
        T2 to Sacrum
        Pre-surgery 56* T 60* L
        Post-surgery 28* T 30* L
        Dr. Pashman, Cedars-Sinai Hospital
        Bevery Hills, CA

Debbie, age 51 at surgery.
        Now, 59 yrs young :-)

Comment

Hi Debbie,

It's hard NOT to be protective of your back after what you have just gone through!!!

I was the same way and think all of us that have had this surgery have had the same fear at one time or another.

I'm glad you're okay. And there's nothing wrong with being paranoid, I think's it's normal.

Shari

Comment

I fell down steps - actually slid down on my back - 12 years after my surgery. My back and rod were fine, I just broke a couple of ribs. I have fallen many times since and never hurt my back. I always hurt something else!
            T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
            2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
            3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
            Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

Working...
            X