Question about post-op brace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about post-op brace

Hi all -- I'm a bit over five months post-op and was told two months ago to wearn myself off my brace except when driving or exercising. I've been wearing the Jewett or "turtle" brace -- basically it's just kept me from bending or twisting the wrong way. Soooo -- I've weaned myself off the brace when I'm hanging around the house (except when cooking) but the difference in pain levels with/without the brace is really striking. I have practically no pain with the brace on and significant pain when the brace is off. My muscles still hate my new posture, I guess.... , but I don't want to prolong recovery by not making them work, you know?

How long did all of you wear your post-op braces?
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

I wore my brace for three months for sitting and walking. My torso became very dependent on the brace - I had to lean back when I sat because to sit forward in a chair quickly tired me and when walking and standing I felt very unstable and unsafe without it. I first tried to take it off all at once but after two days without the brace my back was killing me. So I learned my lesson and came off the brace slowly. I took it off for two hours a day and increased the amount of hours every few days. After around two weeks I was off the brace. You will be so glad when the brace is finally off.

Sue

Comment

Singer--I wore my brace for about 5 months, sitting, standing or walking (so just not when I was lying down...) It was a TSLO brace. My understanding is that the brace essentially acts as your back muscles, supporting you, while you're wearing it. That is why it is very tiring when you take it off for extended periods of time. Your muscles just aren't up to it yet. I sure noticed the pain increase as I was weaning off the brace. Here's the weaning plan my scoli nurse had me do, although I have to admit that there were one or two times when I just had to put the brace back on because of extreme discomfort.

Weaning time = 1 month
      1st week - off for 4 hours (of normal sitting, standing, or walking time)
      2nd week - off for 8 hours
      3rd week - off for 12 hours (essentially all day)
      4th week - out of brace

The first couple of days with the new increments were tough for me. I've been totally brace free for about 2 months now, except I put it on when I have my hair dyed because I'm afraid of leaning back and doing something bad...

Good luck!
      71 and plugging along... but having some problems
      2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
      5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
      Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
      CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
      10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

I'm not at the brace stage yet, but I am wondering how you go about rebuilding your back muscles - physical therapy? Or just by the weaning process of not wearing the brace some of the time - kind of the "suck it up" with the discomfort approach?
        As of 12/25/07, age 62, 100* thoracic kyphosis, 73* L1-S1 lordosis, 37*/25* compensatory S-curve scoliosis. On 12/26/07, Dr. Boachie @ HSS NYC did 11 hours ant. & post. procedures, fused T2-L2, kyphosis now 57*, scoli 10*. Regained 2 1/4 inches in height!! Improving every day.

Comment

Chris-do you have the Jewitt Brace?? I only felt it supported me the first 2 months or so as I got my balance back. But it is'nt a very large brace if it's the same as I had .. I was dying to get out of mine & was thrilled when i was given the ok... But I did still wear it for exercise up until say 6 mths..just felt secure even though I don't think it helped anything but my mind..Ly

Comment

I had problems with my brace from the time I had to put it on. My stomach was very swollen after surgery and it bothered me constantly. I had problems doing pt because of my stomach. It didn't bother my back but it hurt terrible. At my 6 week checkup my dr had me ditch it and I was very happy.
            surgery 9/06
            Rothman institute

Comment

Thanks for all responses -- yes Lynne, it's the same exact brace you had. It bothered me a lot over the summer when I was skinny from surgery and not wearing a lot of clothes but now that I've gained some weight back and am wearing sweaters it feels good. I suppose I should be glad my pain goes away when I put the brace on, because that tells me it's muscular and the muscles WILL, SOMEDAY, get used to their new position. I did have a gigantic correction, after all....and I ain't young !!!!
              Chris
              A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
              Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
              Post-op curve: 12 degrees
              Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Working...
              X