Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chris' blood donation

Hi everybody,
    Chris is scheduled to donate blood on Thursday. Any tips to make this as easy as possible?
    Lori

Mom to Christopher, age 17, Mark, 13, Heather, 10 and Michael, 8
    Chris had surgery with Dr. John Flynn at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia on December 12, 2007. He is fused T4 to L4.
    Dr. Flynn is an AMAZING surgeon!

Iron & Water

If he drinks lots of water, the process will go quicker. Otherwise, it can take awhile, as the consistency is thicker. Also, some multivitamins with iron, red meat, or even iron pills can't hurt. I know women are more likely then men to be anemic, but it can never hurt to have some extra, just to be sure..

Good luck!
    2000 34*L/39*T
    2007 44*L/53*T

12.3.07 Posterior Spinal Fusion T4-T12
    (initially planned T4-L1)
    12.18.07 11*L/10*T

23 years old

Comment

I've donated regularly all my adult life, and absolutely, hydration is the single most important thing to make is go more quickly.

With my size (I've never actually been heavy enough to donate - just never had anyone MAKE me get on the scale ;-), I bleed slooooowly, *anyway*. I learned a long time ago it was a much faster process if I tried to take in about 64 oz. of water a day (we all ~should~ be normally - although most don't) starting at *least* the day before.

The day of donation, stay away from greasy stuff ... and if he's never given blood before, I'd skip milk the day of ;-). (on rare occasions people get nauseated immediately afterwards).

Make sure he takes in above normal fluid levels and eats normally afterwards. I bet he'll never even miss that pint.

I do tend to feel more tired than usual after a donation, but it's gone after a night's sleep.

My guess is he'll do just fine ;-).

Regards,
      Pam
      Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
      AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
      Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
      Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
      EMAIL ME

Comment

Hi Lori,

Lots of fluids like the others said, also eating a good meal about 1 1/2- 2 hrs. before donation. Don't eat any later than that, give the food plenty of time to digest (in case of nausea). Good luck-

Renee

Comment

Thanks for all the good tips ladies. I'll be glad when this is all over with. I think the stress is going to kill me!
          Lori

Mom to Christopher, age 17, Mark, 13, Heather, 10 and Michael, 8
          Chris had surgery with Dr. John Flynn at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia on December 12, 2007. He is fused T4 to L4.
          Dr. Flynn is an AMAZING surgeon!

Comment

Lori,

Good luck tomorrow!

I am not able to donate because I'm anemic and my hemoglobin is always too low. However, before David's surgery two friends donated for him (believe it or not, nobody in the family was a match) and both times it went off without a hitch.

I'll have my fingers crossed that all goes smoothly for Chris tomorrow
            mariaf305@yahoo.com
            Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
            Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Working...
            X