4 1/2 yrs post op

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 1/2 yrs post op

I can't believe it has been a year since I have posted on here.
    This morning I recieved an email asking for an update on my daughter Amber. Amber was fused from T4 to L4 in May of 2004. Toward the end of 2005 she had a huge pain issue, this did eventually settle down though not until after she had missed some major exams at school.
    We are in Australia and she has just finished year 12 at high school. Depending on her hsc (higher school certificate) exam results she is hoping to go to university next year.
    During her trial exams she suffered from quite a bit of pain, and finally admitted that she has had some pain for quite a while. We went back and saw her ortho here and we discussed the possibility of having the rods etc removed. She is on the waiting list to have that done, but has since decided that putting herself through the surgery that may not get rid of the pain is not worth it at the moment.
    She was worried about how she would cope with her 'real' exams. I convinced her to take muscle relaxants and pain medication before each exam and she coped pretty well.
    She has never liked to take medications and has tried to avoid them as much as possible, I think after she used them for her exams she has realised that they have their place and she is more open to taking something as a preventative. Finally she worked out that by doing that it saves her from worse pain later on.
    I am trying to think of things that I have posted about before.. I used to post alot when she was going through her surgery..lol...
    She is learning to drive and the fusion hasn't been a problem at all. It also looks like she may have a waitressing job in an upmarket resturant, so we shall see how that goes.
    As for my other daughters.. Jordan's curves have not progressed much at all and she is not going to need surgery, she will be 17 just before christmas. So that is good news... Gabrielle still has her slight rotation, but no curves to speak of.. Isabel and Shayleigh are still nice and straight. They all have an ortho check up each year just to keep an eye on things.
    I have to say getting an email after all this time has suprised me. It was nice to see that people are still reading our 'story'. I am so glad that my ramblings are still helping people.
    I am still here so if anyone has questions - ask away.
    Best wishes to everyone
    Cheryl

Pain?!

Hi,

So do u think your daughter is having pain issues b/c of the fusion in general? Or do you think her pain is from special circumstances?

I ask this because I'm scheduled for surgery soon, and I'm a little discouraged to hear about your daughter's pain just 4 years post op.

So any response would help.

Thanks
    glenda

54T
    Posterior spinal Fusion--Dec. 12, 2007
    Fusion: T5-L3

10T and Loving it!!

Comment

pain

The drs couldn't tell us why she had the pain. All they said was 'sometimes it just happens'. I know that doesn't offer much comfort for you. It didn't for us either. I think I posted under 'muscle spasms' about all that went on then.. if that helps you. Even with all of that, Amber at 18 (surgery at 14) still says she is glad she has had it done. She still has bit of a shoulder hump but she has learned to live with it.. and is now rather proud of her scar and her shoulder.. it makes her unique.. She even wore a competely backless dress to her formal... (umm..... prom).
      Cheryl

Comment

Hi Cheryl,

My son will be 2 yrs. post-op in Dec., fused same levels as Amber. I am glad to hear she doesn't have any problems with driving. My son will start drivers training soon and I wonder how/if such a long fusion will hinder his ability to turn and look over shoulder when changing lanes, backing up, etc. So that is no problem for Amber? I hope Amber can eventually find a way to resolve the pain in a non-surgical way. That is good news your other daughters look like they won't need treatment, I am praying my 9 y.o. won't progress much, but we'll see.

I hope you will continue to post every now and then with an update. It really helps others to hear how the kids are doing at each and every stage, even years down the road. Happy Holidays and best wishes to you in the coming year.

Renee

Comment

driving

We were concerned that because of the lenght of Amber's fusion that she would have problems looking over her shoulder while driving.. so.. Before she went to do the test to get her learner drivers license I got her to sit in the car and I walked around it, getting her to turn her head to watch me. It is someting that everyone manages to do in their own way. She will lift one hip and twist from there to see better if she has to. Think of it the same as when you were watching right after getting home from hospital... they all manage to do things you thought they would stuggle with.

I should have added to my last post that the recent pain Amber had during her exams was due to sitting for 3 to 4 hours for each exam.. The pain she had a few years ago required heavy medication and had an unknown cause. Thankfully that has only happened the once.
          Any pain that she gets now is from being in one position for too long, or over taxing herself. Things that most of the time she can avoid or take precautions for.

Best wishes
          Cheryl

Comment

Cheryl and Renee,

My daugher will be three years post-op on December 7th and is fused from T3-L2. She turned 16 in August and got her learner's permit. She hasn't had any problems with driving. I've always felt grateful that she had her surgery before she starting driving, that way she learned to drive from the beginning with her straight back and limited mobility.

I understand Amber's discomfort while taking her exams. Jamie took her SAT's last month and said she was a bit stiff afterwards. Once she was able to move around, she was fine.

Mary Lou
            Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Cheryl,

I remember now, you posted before about practicing with Amber before getting her permit. I'm glad I asked again b/c I had forgotten about it, and it sounds like an excellent way to practice with Joe.

Mary Lou,

I've followed your/Jamie's story since I joined in 2005-wow, 3 yrs. post-op already! Boy, our kids have come a long way, haven't they!?

Take care and Happy Holidays!

Renee

Comment

Working...
              X