Heat ok after surgery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heat ok after surgery?

My daughter is 11 days post-surgery. Is it ok to apply heat to her fused lower back? Her doctor's office is closed today so I can't reach them. I never received any information from them to the contrary. Wondering if anyone else knows? Thanks.

At first I was told only ICE. I don't remember how long it was until I could use heat.
    Patty 51 years old
    Surgery May 23, 2007(43 Birthday)
    Posterior T3- L4
    Pre surgery curves
    T-53degrees
    L-38degrees
    and a severe side shift to the right.
    Post surgery curves
    Less than 10 degrees
    Surgery April, 2006
    C4 - C6

Comment

I wouldn't do heat directly on the incision, but heat on her hips shouldn't be a problem, if it helps. It may help relax her muscles and reduce that hip pain a little (I'm assuming that's what you are referring to). Heat on the incision could stimulate bloodflow. If the incision isn't completely sealed it could bleed and that wouldn't be good. Heat is soothing so anywhere on her body where there isn't an incision should be fine.
      Carmell
      mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

Working...
      X