Preparing for surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preparing for surgery

First, I want to apologize for posting yet another question - can you tell it's starting to feel really close to surgery day?

I know if you get sick, they won't operate, but how sick is too sick? I have a winter sniffle, but I feel fine otherwise. I'm nervous though because my boyfriend has a cough...

Also, I played in an Alumni Field Hockey game yesterday (at my old high school, where alums come back and play the varsity team), and am feeling it now. My back (as well as my quads, hamstrings..) feels terrible, and I'm pretty sure it's just from bending over so much. Is this going to negatively affect surgery? I have a great mental image of them opening me up to see a giant bruise on the inside!

Thanks everyone, for tolerating my random and probably silly questions!
    2000 34*L/39*T
    2007 44*L/53*T

12.3.07 Posterior Spinal Fusion T4-T12
    (initially planned T4-L1)
    12.18.07 11*L/10*T

23 years old

Vndy,

Hang in there! Your surgery is fast approaching, and all your thoughts/worries are perfectly normal. I don't know what is too sick, in terms of surgery, but I would contact your surgeons office and let them know you are a bit concerned. If you can, treat your self extra special these next few days. Pamper yourself as much as you can, relax, enjoy time with friends, family, etc. You did make me laugh when I read about opening you up and seeing a big bruise! This is a daunting experience, but you will make it through. From what I have read it sounds like you have family who will be there supporting you through your recovery. I wish you the best. Let us know how you are feeling, as soon as you are up to it.
    Surgery completed July, 2007
    Fused from T4-T12
    23years old

Comment

vndy-

First of all, your questions are neither silly nor random - they are genuine concerns and this IS the place to mention them. Please feel free to continue to post as much as you need to. My surgery is 3 weeks after yours, so while I don't have any answers, I too have tons of questions & concerns.

From what I've learned from this forum, it appears perfectly normal to feel anxious & concerned as the big day approaches, and worrying about sniffles and muscle aches assume huge proportions at this time.

I agree w/ Christine84 that you should let your doctor know, but also take this time to relax - hot baths, lots of rest, eat nice foods, and let family and friends start pampering you now - it will be good practice for them when you are post-op
      As of 12/25/07, age 62, 100* thoracic kyphosis, 73* L1-S1 lordosis, 37*/25* compensatory S-curve scoliosis. On 12/26/07, Dr. Boachie @ HSS NYC did 11 hours ant. & post. procedures, fused T2-L2, kyphosis now 57*, scoli 10*. Regained 2 1/4 inches in height!! Improving every day.

Comment

Hang in there!

Vndy,

Congratulations on trying to compete with the varsity Field Hockey players. Your "can do" spirit will serve you well during your surgical recovery! Those of us who are in our recovery stage, would probably agree that we too tried to cram as much into the time before surgery as you are trying to do. For many of us, that meant cleaning house and preparing meals in advance for our families and trying to put their lives in order so that they would not fall over the edge of the earth while we were gone. By our scheduled time in the OR, we were ready to just let it all go and happy for a time to sleep without interruption (albeit with the benefit of anesthesia). You will get there too! In the mean time, try hot showers/baths for those achy muscles and massage them with something that smells good to you.

Unless you have a fever or a hacking cough, you are probably safe. You also have the benefit of another week of getting over whatever you have. Do check with your surgeon's office for advice on what you can take for your symptoms this close to your date. Maintaining a healthy diet with extra protein, fruits and vegetables (and a little dark chocolate) is a good idea. Many people swear by the healing power of chicken soup so give that a try too. In the midst of everything else you are trying to finish up this coming week (academic assignments, work, friends to see, TO DO lists, etc.), try to schedule in some quiet time for yourself and get sufficient sleep.

You have successfully managed to stay on track and do all the right things up to this point. You have the support of all of us on this board who are sending you positive energy for a wonderful outcome! Visualize yourself on "the other side" standing straight and taller and without pain. You can do it!

Linda
        Linda
        Two-stage A/P fusion T6-S1 with lumbar implants June 12 & June 27, 2007 at age 57
        S curve 75+ degrees with kyphosis
        Now 45 degrees and standing 3 inches taller!
        Dr. Frank Rand, New England Baptist Hospital, Boston

Comment

Vndy--I'd like to echo what Janet just said. I was so paranoid last spring just before my surgery, that the kids at school were going to get me sick and cause a problem. There were so many that would cough right on me, or kids getting the stomach flu--and vomiting right in the library! How dare they! Believe me, it was scary! And I handled hundreds of books every week that I'm sure were covered with their sick germs!

And yes, this is where you can let us all know you need support in facing the surgery that's about to happen--and the heebie jeebies that are happening now, just ahead of time. Everyone (I would think!) gets those anxious feelings---panic one moment, resolve the next, fears of the surgery, joy (?) that it's almost over with, and so on. It's a real roller coaster. I can remember going to bed early a time or two that last week before my surgery, so I could just cry in private without my husband knowing. I wasn't crying so much from being afraid as from just having my emotions all threadbare and on the surface. You need to get some of those emotions out of your system a little. And part of that can be done by sharing with people who understand. If you can't ask us for support, or vent, or share what you're thinking, then who can you do that with? Yes, close friends and family may listen and try to understand. But we have either been there and know from our own experiences, or are facing the same anxieties. Write as much as you want to. Ask questions that might seem dumb to you, but which will probably seem to us like the same ones we had too. When you post, some people will respond and others will feel for you also but not write. Regardless of which category, almost all will care and be concerned for you. On this forum, there is no such thing as a dumb question!!!

You've got one week left till the big day. Do whatever you can to stay healthy and not get any more bruised in the meantime. (Great Scott! Field hockey!!!) And, as Christine and Janet said, check with your doctor about your sniffles. They are probably nothing, but it's always better to be safe and check.

I hope you can relax a little and enjoy this week. We'll all be thinking of you-- and will be so happy to hear from you when you are recovering. Take heart. And keep asking and sharing your thoughts with us this week--up until you head for the hospital! You're going to do great!
          71 and plugging along... but having some problems
          2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
          5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
          Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
          CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
          10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

I, too, have a feeling that it would take a fever or bad flu to keep them from operating - anything that might make you more susceptible to pneumonia, etc. post-op.

Field hockey!! You are brave. I went for a hike on Mt. Rainier the weekend before surgery, and was SOOOOO paranoid I would twist an ankle or something. Like everyone has said, just baby yourself as much as possible this coming week and you will be fine.
            31 year old female
            55* (day of surgery) thoracic curve w/compensatory lumbar
            T4-T12 on Aug 15, 2007

MRI, pre-surgery
            Xray, 3 mos. post-op
            Machu Picchu, 8 mos. post-op

Comment

Working...
            X