Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• twisting and bending

Hi,

Does anyone here ever feel like you may be twisting too much or bending and not really even realize it. I don't know if you guys know what I am trying to say here but, where do you cross the line when it comes to twisting? Is it supposed to hurt and then you know that you have twisted too much. Is this a silly question, or maybe I'm just a little too paranoid.

Your scoli friend

Deb
    Last edited by DebbieM; 11-24-2007, 10:20 PM.
    A/P Surgery Oct.15 and 18, 2007
    T2 to Sacrum
    Pre-surgery 56* T 60* L
    Post-surgery 28* T 30* L
    Dr. Pashman, Cedars-Sinai Hospital
    Bevery Hills, CA

Debbie, age 51 at surgery.
    Now, 59 yrs young :-)

I know exactly what you mean. I think we're all paranoid about doing something "wrong" with our new backs. But I've found my back just won't let me do anything too much out of line -- it would hurt too much!! Try not to worry.
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

I completely know what you mean. I agree with Singer that your back will let you know when it is too much. My husband keeps reminding me that the rods are titanium and I'm not going to break them if I accidently twist too much!
      Best,
      Anya
      "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
      Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
      19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

I know I worry too much. I have been treating my back very gingerly. My dr. said to remember the 3 letters (B)ending, (L)ifting and (T)wisting.
        T2 to Sacrum
        Pre-surgery 56* T 60* L
        Post-surgery 28* T 30* L
        Bevery Hills, CA

Comment

Hi Debbie,

We all know exactly how you feel!!! I wore the brace, so I was unable to twist and bend. But even after I was allowed to take it off, I still has concerns for several months afterwards.

It's a very common fear, but your body will let you know when you are doing too much!!!

Take care,
          Shari

Comment

Not bending, lifting and twisting, is that forever? I thought after a year you would be able to test your limitations, see how far you can bend & twist. Can twisting or lifting break the rod?

Sue

Comment

Thats what I was wondering too. Can you injur yourself or maybe cause a screw to become loose? I do know that titanium does not break. But if it does not break then why are they (doctors) so concerned about not bending, lifting and twisting.
              T2 to Sacrum
              Pre-surgery 56* T 60* L
              Post-surgery 28* T 30* L
              Bevery Hills, CA

Comment

I can only speak for myself, and I hope I haven't misled you in any way. I was concerned about what I couldn't and couldn't do for quite a while post surgery.

I'm T-1 to L-5 and I can golf. There are things that I still fear, like falling, but I try just about anything that I don't think will cause me damage where the fusion ends, because my Dr. told me that those areas are under the most stress because they're not fused.

And still to this day when I do too much, my back lets me know it. But we are all different and you can't compare, your eventual outcome, with anyone else's.

Give yourselves time to heal, I know how hard it is not to wonder and worry, I did all that and, I think the stress of that makes the healing process longer, and it gets depressing!!! Try and stay positive, it's still so soon after such a major surgery to know what you're actual limitations, if any, will be.

Shari

Comment

I am over a year post op and I work full time I bike and go to the gym. I do baby my back. Your back does tell you when you are overdoing something. I have learned to listen to it even though sometimes you just want to do it.
                  surgery 9/06
                  Rothman institute

Comment

Thanks to all for your input and helping me to keep calm. I can be such a worry wart sometimes. Wow, all i have to say is thank goodness for this forum and everyone on it. I can not imagine what it's like w/o this. I guess we would manage.
                    T2 to Sacrum
                    Pre-surgery 56* T 60* L
                    Post-surgery 28* T 30* L
                    Bevery Hills, CA

Comment

Working...
                    X