X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moisturizing the incision

Hi All,

Question ???
    How long before I'm able to use any kind of creams or Mederma on my incision? I am 5 weeks post op. I also was thinking that it might relieve some of the itching as it starts to heal. My skin starts to get dry during the cold months too.

Thanks
    Deb
    A/P Surgery Oct.15 and 18, 2007
    T2 to Sacrum
    Pre-surgery 56* T 60* L
    Post-surgery 28* T 30* L
    Dr. Pashman, Cedars-Sinai Hospital
    Bevery Hills, CA

Debbie, age 51 at surgery.
    Now, 59 yrs young :-)

Debbie-- are you wearing a brace? I wasn't supposed to put any lotion on while I was wearing my brace (about 5 months.) Otherwise, I don't know. Good luck! I get really dry skin during the winter too, so I know how uncomfortable and itchy that can be.
    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Susie

Yes, I do wear a brace but I believe I have one more week or two of wearing it then maybe after that I can moisturize
      A/P Surgery Oct.15 and 18, 2007
      T2 to Sacrum
      Pre-surgery 56* T 60* L
      Post-surgery 28* T 30* L
      Dr. Pashman, Cedars-Sinai Hospital
      Bevery Hills, CA

Debbie, age 51 at surgery.
      Now, 59 yrs young :-)

Comment

Debbie -- I had a weird experience with moisturizing the side incision....I waited until the scar was totally healed (around 2 months), then got some plain vitamin-E cream and massaged the incision area. It caused major spasms for me. That area had been numb and when it woke up......yikes!!! It was excruciating for a time., especially at night. Just my experience....
        Chris
        A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
        Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
        Post-op curve: 12 degrees
        Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

I did not wear a brace, and was told to wait till the incision was completely healed. At the 6 week apt. my Dr. gave the go ahead for Mederma.
          Patty 51 years old
          Surgery May 23, 2007(43 Birthday)
          Posterior T3- L4
          Pre surgery curves
          T-53degrees
          L-38degrees
          and a severe side shift to the right.
          Post surgery curves
          Less than 10 degrees
          Surgery April, 2006
          C4 - C6

Comment

Debbie,

At five months post op, I have just starting using Mederma on both my back and abdominal incisions. Up to this point, my back had such a strange/weird sensation (both numb and painful at the same time) that I could not tolerate my husband even gently touching it and wearing a bra was out of the question. I still have major numbness and spasm in my back. However, I am tolerating touch to that area better, and I'm wearing a bra again! Gently applying the Mederma to the incision line sets off a zinging kind of sensation in my shoulder blades that is brief and intermittent. How weird is that? I'm reassuring myself that this is all a good sign that nerve endings are waking up. My abdominal incision is looking and feeling great although it was the one I had worried most about before my surgery.

Before surgery, I used a moisturizer every time I showered. It is too hard to do now. So I use a little extra cream rinse in my hair thinking that when it slides down my body, it is taking care of the rest of me at the same time.

Good luck!
            Linda W.
            Linda
            Two-stage A/P fusion T6-S1 with lumbar implants June 12 & June 27, 2007 at age 57
            S curve 75+ degrees with kyphosis
            Now 45 degrees and standing 3 inches taller!
            Dr. Frank Rand, New England Baptist Hospital, Boston

Comment

Shorty

Hi Debbie!
              It was at my second month checkup that my doctor encouraged me to begin using a moisturizer with aloe on my incisions. I was able to find a body wash (called Lever 2000) and a moisturizer, both made by Vaseline Intensive Care (actually Unilever) that contain aloe, and that's what I've been using ever since! Hope that's helpful!

Sue
              A/P Surgery June 19 & 26 2007
              T9 to Sacrum
              Dr. Jeffrey Stambough~Deaconess Hospital
              Cincinnati, Ohio

Sue~48 yrs. old

Comment

I'm not sure at what appt it was, but my ortho recommended Eucerin and never mentioned anything about using it with or without my brace. The skin around my incision was so dry that it was actually peeling. Within a few days of using Eucerin, it was healed. Yes, I had strange feelings in my back when my husband applied it (it's thicker than regular lotion), but it worked!

Comment

Working...
                X