We're home!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We're home!

Sheena's finally home. We had a perfect journey home yesterday, I felt like someone was watching out for us. There were only 14 people on the flight so Sheena was able to stretch out on the front row seats and was very comfortable the entire trip. I worried about coming home so much, I can't believe it was that easy!

I wanted to briefly tell about the surgery for those of you waiting, I know it helped me tremedously to see what others had been through. She ended up being fused from T4-L4, one less than originally planned. Her actual surgery took 5 hours, pre-surgical preparations took exactly one hour and she was in recovery for about 1 hr 45 min. We had our own private waiting area, the nurse updated us 3 times during the operation. It was very difficult waiting but not as bad as I expected. Dr. Lenke came out afterwards to let us know that everything went well and she was receiving her own unit of blood, we were fortunate that was the only unit she needed. She does have a low hemoglobin level but we'll get her back up in time. She went directly to PICU after surgery and spent the night there. She was drowsy that night and the next day from anesthesia so her pain was under control. There are things that are normal after surgery that we were made aware of because my stepdaughter, the nurse, was there for the first 3 days. Low blood pressure (her's hovered around 95/50) for the first few days, high pulse, low O2 saturation, swelling in the face, extremities and genitals and fever are all very common after surgery. Her fever ran as high as 102.8 the 3rd day, which was normal. She had 2 drains that they empty every 4 hours and there is a lot of fluid that comes out. They also have them on IV antibiotics as long as the drains are in. They took them out on Monday. They also took her off the continuous morphine drip that day and should have overlapped the oral pain meds but didn't because she wasn't eating. I think that was a big mistake, they should have given them to her because that's when her pain really became intense and was difficult to control. I also figured out where the hip pain is coming from, there's a hard lump where one of her drains was removed, I massaged it yesterday and it brought her almost instant relief. You wouldn't think something like that would cause her intense pain, but that's been much worse than her back pain. The office is closed for the holidays but I'm going to call Monday and tell them about it. It's not infected and is causing less pain so I think it will eventually diminish. If not for the problem with her hip, I think her recovery would have been much better.

Since she's been home, she's started to eat when she feels like it. Her pain is worse at night and in the mornings. I'm making her take pain meds in the middle of the night to try to control it. The best thing is that every day is a little better than the day before. I'm very happy with her surgical results, her chest is very uniform and she looks so nice when she stands up. It exceeded my expectations. I know there will be a day when she's fully recuperated and this will be a distant memory.

Thanks again to everyone who's been here to support us.

Hi Sherie,
    It was so good to see your post! I'm so happy to hear that you had such a good flight home and that Sheena's pain is finally manageable. Your post was very helpful to me as there were a few things that I wasn't aware of. Congratulations on finally being on the other side of the surgery and I look forward to seeing pictures of her new back! I bet she looks beautiful!!!

Best wishes for a smooth recovery! You're always in my thoughts and prayers!

Big Hugs,
    Lori

Mom to Christopher, age 17, Mark, 13, Heather, 10 and Michael, 8
    Chris had surgery with Dr. John Flynn at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia on December 12, 2007. He is fused T4 to L4.
    Dr. Flynn is an AMAZING surgeon!

Comment

So awesome to hear y'all made it home, Sherie ...

Regards,
      Pam
      Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
      AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
      Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
      Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
      EMAIL ME

Comment

Sherie,

I am so happy for you and Sheena. The worst of it is over. The best is yet to come. I am so choked up just thinking about what she went through. I promise you that she will amaze you with her healing and recovery. That is the plus of having this done when you are young. Please tell her how much we have all been thinking about her and please keep us posted with all the good news ahead. Happy Thanksgiving.
        Melissa
        From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
        Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

Glad to hear the flight went so well. Sorry she is having pain from the drainage area. Sounds like she is doing well over all. Even one vertebrae shorter is great since less in the lumbar area. Glad she gave blood since she needed it. We didn't have as long a fusion, or needing blood. We had different worries with her spinal cord being a possible issue, but thank goodness it wasn't. We hope for a continued positive recovery. Best wishes
          Shirley
          Mom to Amanda, 18, Scoliosis T58, previous Spinecor bracing for 9 months before diagnosed with Chiari I CM, and Syringomyelia (Syrinx) SM. CM/SM decompression surgery 12/4/06, Spinal fusion surgery with titanium rods and hardware and full correction 8/1/07 at Texas Scottish Rite Hospital for Children.

Also mom to Megan, 14, with diagnosis PDD-NOS on the autism spectrum

Comment

I'm so glad to hear that you've figured out the hip pain & are confident it will go away soon. Congratulations on getting home so easily & on what sounds like a very successful surgery! The surgical pain really does go away so much more quickly than you'd think.

I hope you had at least somewhat of a relaxing Thanksgiving.
            Laurie

Mother of Alexander & Zachary:
            Alex is 16 years old and in the 11th grade. He has congenital scoliosis due to a hemivertebrae at T10. Wore a TLSO brace for 3 1/2 years. Pre-op curves were T45 & L65; curves post-op are approx. T31 & L34. Had a posterior spinal fusion from T8 to L3 on 7/12/07 at age 12. Doing great now in so many ways, but still working on improving posture.
            Zach is 13 years old and very energetic.

Comment

Woohoo for Sheena and mom. So happy to hear you are home and resting in your own beds. Many more best wishes for a smooth and uneventful recovery.
              Carmell
              mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

Thanks everyone, it's good to be home and having the surgery behind us now. She's marginally better today.

I was wondering what pain meds your kids were on? Sheena's on Oxycontin 2x/day, percoset every 4-6 hours as needed (I've been giving around the clock) valium 2x/day and a stool softener. I didn't give her the valium last night because I don't think it's doing much, does anyone have experience with the valium? I don't think she's having muscle spasms, it's still the hip pain.

Comment

Hi Sherie,
                  At my pre-op, the nurse I spoke with strongly recommended using a product like Benefiber, that is a fiber supplement, instead of a stool softener. If she's eating, and drinking enough water, that might be worth trying. In terms of my experience with valium, I haven't enjoyed it - I've taken it three times, and twice I felt too loopy to function, and once I was sick for about 12 hours. I know how the body tolerates medicine is a personal thing, but if she can manage without it, that's probably okay...
                  2000 34*L/39*T
                  2007 44*L/53*T

12.3.07 Posterior Spinal Fusion T4-T12
                  (initially planned T4-L1)
                  12.18.07 11*L/10*T

23 years old

Comment

That's sort of how I feel about it too. I think it's making her spacey and drowsy, I don't know how that can be helpful.
                    Thanks and good luck with your surgery!

Comment

Sherie,

Nicole was given valium for muscle spasms. It seemed to do nothing for her. The pharmacist was surprised and said that there are better meds than that for spasms. When we saw Dr. Dormans he said valium was very good for the spasms, but since it wasn't working he gave us something that may have been called flexir or something. Can't remember. But by 3 weeks post op there was no need for that. The spasms were gone. When we left the hospital, Nicole was on oxycodine every 4 hours and tylenol round the clock. Oh, and the valium. That was until she was 9 days post-op. Then she was just on tylenol and valium. Her constipation got so bad that I ran out and bought suppositories. Never used them in my life. I gave her one treatment and it did the trick. But she was so upset by the pain and trauma of the constipation that she took herself off the oxy. We never had a constipation problem since then.

I am so glad you are all home!!!!
                      Melissa
                      From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
                      Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

Getting the right combination of pain meds is important, but sometimes tricky. It sounds like Sheena may not need the Valium, especially if she doesn't think she's having muscle spasms. Braydon gets spasms after back surgery, so Valium works well for him. We find that alternating pain meds helps better than anything. That way there is overlapping doses in their system so they don't have a chance for breakthrough pain. Braydon alternates Lortab and Valium, every 6 hours (example: take Lortab at noon, then Valium at 3pm, then Lortab again at 6pm, then Valium at 9pm, etc). This also helps so he doesn't get too much Tylenol in his system to harm his liver. When taking Tylenol AND a narcotic, make sure the narcotic doesn't already have Tylenol in it. Most do. This can cause an overdose of Tylenol. I also agree that "just" a stool softner may not be enough, until she can get off the narcotics completely, be more active, and be drinking enough fluids. Good luck and let us know how she's doing, and how YOU are doing, mom.
                        Carmell
                        mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

Hi Sherie,
                          Alexander took valium regularly in the hospital because it helped him to stay calm & to cope with the pain. I insisted on a prescription for it when we left the hospital but he only actually took it once - on the first night home when he was totally miserable.

He was taking stool softeners every day while he was on the narcotics. Before leaving the hosp., he also was given a suppository & some other oral med for constipation.

He took oxycontin for only 2 days in the hosp. after the morphine drip (PCA)was stopped. He also was put on oxycodone & tylenol, all of which did help with the pain. After they stopped the oxycontin, he only took the oxycodone, tylenol & valium as I mentioned above.

I'm glad Sheena is feeling at least a little better. The pain will keep getting better really fast, you'll see, & in a few weeks this will all seem like a distant memory to her (not so distant to you).
                          Laurie

Mother of Alexander & Zachary:
                          Alex is 16 years old and in the 11th grade. He has congenital scoliosis due to a hemivertebrae at T10. Wore a TLSO brace for 3 1/2 years. Pre-op curves were T45 & L65; curves post-op are approx. T31 & L34. Had a posterior spinal fusion from T8 to L3 on 7/12/07 at age 12. Doing great now in so many ways, but still working on improving posture.
                          Zach is 13 years old and very energetic.

Comment

I'm still trying to figure out if the valium works or not. Sheena was getting herself worked up yesterday (she's generally a very calm, quite person so this is not in character for her) so I gave her a valium to calm down. Voila! it seemed to do the trick. She had a great afternoon, got up several times by herself to go fetch things.

I'm finding nights are very difficult. I give her all the medication that she can have before bedtime, but every night around 4am, she's waking up with a lot of pain. She and I both feel that it's the quiet that's allowing her to dwell on her pain, I suggested she listen to music tonight to see if that helps. Anybody else find this to be true at night?

I also searched the Spinekids forum for hip pain, it appears this is not uncommon. It is still causing her pain, not as much as before though. As long as there's improvement everyday, I'm not going to worry too much. I reread the recovery section in Dave Wolpert's book and nothing she's going through seems to be out of the ordinary. By the way, this is a great resource for all aspects of scoliosis.

Comment

My family gave me the meds on a stagered schedule, so instead of taking them all at once I took something every couple hours. This was wonderful because if i did have pain I usually had something they could give me. I hope this helps.
                              Patty 51 years old
                              Surgery May 23, 2007(43 Birthday)
                              Posterior T3- L4
                              Pre surgery curves
                              T-53degrees
                              L-38degrees
                              and a severe side shift to the right.
                              Post surgery curves
                              Less than 10 degrees
                              Surgery April, 2006
                              C4 - C6

Comment