Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post-op lifting, years on

Hello!

I was just wondering, for those of you who had surgery several years ago, do you have any restrictions on what you can lift? I know that we're told not to lift anything in the time after the surgery, but I wasn't sure about what we can do years on from it. I'd appreciate it if anybody could give me some insight.

Thanks!
    Robbie.

heya yeah u can defo lift things after surgery just b careful how u lift dem and leave it a wile after surgery just 2 b on the safe side and u shud have no real pproblems but say it to ur surgen just to clarify the situation....
    16 year old getting ready for more surgery

Comment

Just remember with a spinal fusion, your back doesn't absorb shock and stress the same. The discs above and below your fusion will wear out faster than others in your spine. Keeping the muscles strong is the best thing to do if you want to do lifting. I lifted and carried my kids around until they were about 1 year old (they both were over 20 pounds at that point). After that, my husband lifted them when they wanted to be carried or put in a shopping cart.
      T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
      2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
      3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
      Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

I was told 10 lbs were the limit in my case but I must confess I do not know what 10 pounds feel like. I tighten my abdominal muscles whenever I carry something but I will not pick up a child larger than a small baby. I suspect I went over the limit but with no adverse effects.
        Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
        Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

I know all cases are different, but I've GOT to suspect post surgical lifting has *quite a bit* to do with ~pre~ surgical strength and levels fused.

I mean, seriously ... there HAS to be variations between a previously non-active (i.e., less flexible) 60 year old person, fused T2-L5 - or below - and a VERY flexible 39 year old fused T5-L1.

Am I mistaken?
          Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
          AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
          Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
          Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
          EMAIL ME

Comment

Robbie--I'm not years down the road yet--just a little over 6 months post-op. I'm sure txmarinemom has a very valid point about length of fusion and pre-op condition. Even so (and I would probably fall close to the less active, not in great shape category), I was just released to lift up to 20 lbs. Good luck finding out more-- and you can always check with your doctor to be sure.

P.S. Karen-- for 10 lbs., just imagine lifting a 10 lb. bag of potatoes-- or two 5 lb. bags of sugar.
            Last edited by Susie*Bee; 11-21-2007, 07:18 AM. Reason: added p.s.
            71 and plugging along... but having some problems
            2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
            5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
            Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
            CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
            10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Working...
            X