Is anyone else tired?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is anyone else tired?

Just curious, but I have found that in the last 2-3 weeks I have gotten so very tired. It takes so much energy just to stand with decent posture, or even sit with decent posture for that matter. By the end of the day i am ready to drop and I walk bent over. I am not overexerting myself. I coach wrestling for 2-3 hours but I am really just talking and standing, not a whole lot of demonstrating anymore. I also sing for about an hour on Mondays and I know that requires a lot of energy, but other than those two things I am not really doing a whole lot other than everyday household chores.
    So is or did anyone else pre-op experience this? I am so looking forward to surgery in 3 weeks just to get some rest and relief.
    Geish
    47 years old, dx at 13
    +30* to the right, +60* to the left, +30* to the right
    Surgery 12-13-07 - fusion from T4 to sacrum.

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=267 Pre surgery
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=268 Post surgery
    http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/DSC01091.jpg Xray from the side
    http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1089-1-1-1.jpg Xray from the back

Geish,

I can completely relate, hon. After living with scoliosis since I was 10, it just seemed (even though my curve hasn't progressed) to suddenly *weigh* on me. The spinal fatigue and muscle spasms were always there to some extent, but several months ago (despite stretching and exercise) by the end of the workday the burning pain to the right of my curve just had me in tears.

I'm working from home for now - until (still unscheduled) my surgery date. Just sitting up for extended periods *hurts* ... thank goodness for reclining furniture, VPN, laptops and wi-fi ;-).

I also can't wait - even knowing the risks - for surgery. For some of us, I think, it HAS to get this bad to make the choice. Does it sound silly to say most days I wish I could rip out my spine?? I don't think that could possibly make ANY sense to most people.

Stay positive, and don't forget - even through the trying post op period - how unbearable you found the pre-op.

Best wishes to you.

Regards,
    Pam
    Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
    AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
    Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
    Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
    EMAIL ME

Comment

Geish -

Do you think your tiredness is your body's way of dealing with the stress of the impending surgery? In the past, when I was under extreme stress, I would get very very chilled and need a lot of rest.

Are you taking vitamin & mineral supplements? Under Dr's care, I am taking iron, vitamin C, vitamin D, calcium and folic acid supplements.

I'm now scheduled for 1 week after you, and I've had this unusual burst of energy the last few weeks. I'm doing a lot of home fix-up & repairs (I'm not doing them personally - just supervising the workers and running around to buy materials) BUT by 5 PM, I am ready to drop. I hope to get all this finished in another 2 weeks, so I can start to wind down.

Hope your tiredness eases up so you can go into surgery well rested.
      As of 12/25/07, age 62, 100* thoracic kyphosis, 73* L1-S1 lordosis, 37*/25* compensatory S-curve scoliosis. On 12/26/07, Dr. Boachie @ HSS NYC did 11 hours ant. & post. procedures, fused T2-L2, kyphosis now 57*, scoli 10*. Regained 2 1/4 inches in height!! Improving every day.

Comment

This is a good sign.
        I think that many of us deny the effect that living with scoliosis has on our bodies, pre-op. It's good to realize that IT IS TIRING to live with it. I think it is part of the acceptance of the need to have this surgery .
        48 yr old female. 80° thoracolumber curve. Surgery Feb 14 2007. Fused T3 - L5. Correction to 23°. Happy!

Comment

Geish--I was perpetually tired and exhausted after getting home from work/school each day--and yes, I would end up slightly bent over too. But it was for a lot longer pre-op than just a couple of weeks! After getting home each day, I had to sit in a comfy chair for awhile, get up and work on supper, take breaks to sit down again, etc. Otherwise my back hurt too much! It was during those last couple of months pre-op that my husband realized how bad off I was getting and started washing the dishes and helping out with some other household chores. And now he's really good at them!!! (I do wash the dishes now, though--most of the time!) Listen to your body language... it's probably telling you with all your tiredness that it's high time to get this done! And try to relax a little and enjoy some of your pre-op time. Don't worry about being tired!!! It's normal!
          71 and plugging along... but having some problems
          2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
          5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
          Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
          CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
          10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

i felt the same a few weeks before being sliced and diced. i would take time out for myself and take long hot baths or i would use an ice pack on my back or hot stress relief packs.

Ibuprofen always helped until two weeks pre-op when i was told to halt all medicines and vitamins...that really sucked because i ended up having 3 major migraines within the last week right before my surgery. i believe it was stress and my anxiousness about it all...
            -----------------
            Jane

34 yrs old
            Diagnosed at 12; Boston Brace for a year; ScoliTron for 3 months. Curves left untreated after 13 yrs old until 27yrs old.
            Pre-Op Upper Curve: 49; Post-Op: 14
            Pre-Op Lower Curve: 51; Post-Op: 18
            Posterior Reconstruction from T2-L3 on Oct 22, 2007
            Dr McNulty - UMC Hospital

Las Vegas, NV

Comment

I'm absolutely (almost) speechless over reading all these topics and finding out I'm not just being wimpy! After working all day, all I want to do is go home and throw myself on the bed and cry or medicate myself to sleep. But there's dinner to cook, dishes to do, laundry to do, kids to chauffeur, blah, blah blah! I push myself to the point of exhaustion and I think that's why no one really knows how much pain I'm in. I'm afraid if I rest as much as I probably need to, the whole family would be going around naked!
              Becky, 46 years old
              Diagnosed at 13 with mild scoliosis
              Ignored until 448/07
              Left thoracic 49* T5-T11
              Right thorocolumbar 60* T11-L4
              Surgery Monday, June 9, 2008 Oklahoma Spine Hospital
              Fused T-10 to L-5
              14 titanium pedicle screws
              Corrected to approx. 10* YEA!!!
              Email

Comment

Working...