Happy Thanksgiving!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy Thanksgiving!

Just wanted everyone out there to know that I count you as a true blessing in my life. It's amazing how much encouragement I receive when I read your posts. I am thrilled for those of you who have been showing us your amazing before and after pics! You look so great!!! And it helps me out when I see others sometimes have their "down" days. Otherwise I would think it's just me. And how much it's meant to read about the body image issue. Dumb me! I didn't realize till last spring how deformed I was. That's what happens when you have an extra 25 lbs. of body fat, plus scoli that isn't real obvious. My neck to tailbone alignment was only about an inch off, and cover that with non-form-fitting clothes and voila!, nobody noticed. Last spring, almost time for the surgery, was when I realized for the first time how pronounced it was all getting to be. I had never looked at myself bent over in a mirror before to see the much higher side... And bra straps. I never thought about my bra problems being associated with my scoli. When I was 20, I had surgery for melanoma and that included the removal of the lymph nodes from my right armpit. I just thought it was because of that. BTW, I'm a right shoulder purse wearer.

I guess what I want to say is that you all have made me feel that there are so many others going through similar ups and downs of scoli: questioning things, making plans for surgery, dealing with fears, accepting the whole situation, anticipating pre-op, op, and post-op times, moving on to recovery, and then getting on with life, despite any setbacks that might occur. And through it all, most of us seem to have good times where we feel positive about our decisions and outcomes, and other times when we wonder what the heck is happening to us, how long recovery will take, and will we ever reach the point of being "better".

I don't respond to many of the posts because I don't have any advice or information for some of you. But I do soak in your situations and pray for the best. I know I will continue to think of so many of you and your situations, as I think of all that I'm thankful for this week. And, of course, I am thankful my surgery is over with, I'm almost 2 inches taller, and oh, so much straighter than last year! To the many of you with upcoming surgeries, please know that I'll be praying for you and wishing you all the best.

Happy Thanksgiving!!! Your scoli sis, Susie
    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Amen

Susie,

First, Thank you for your good wishes, it means the world, really, to get such positive thoughts from people I have never even had the privledge of meeting. I have been stunned by the support I've found here, and am extreemely grateful. It makes me look forward to being able to provide others with the same support you all have provided me with, and dread "the big day" less (2 weeks from today..).

Secondly, I would like to echo your sentiments; I too am so thankful for all of the support, and the feeling of not being alone I've found here from all of you. On Thursday I will be thinking of everyone here who has given me so much.

Thanks everyone, for everything. Happy Thanksgiving
    2000 34*L/39*T
    2007 44*L/53*T

12.3.07 Posterior Spinal Fusion T4-T12
    (initially planned T4-L1)
    12.18.07 11*L/10*T

23 years old

Comment

Vndy--thanks for your post. Every time I look and see how young you are, I am overwhelmed. You are the same age as my youngest daughter. I had a dream last week that she bent over and I could see an extremely crooked spine and it broke my heart. That's not the case in real life, at least not right now. I keep telling all three of my daughters (all in their twenties) to be sure and mention it to the doctor, because since we didn't really realize about mine, we never monitored anything with them either, other than they didn't fail the school scoli screenings, and that's been awhile ago...

Anyway, when I read (as in 'reed') your posts, I think of my own daughters and what it would be like if they were in your place. I wish so much you didn't have this to go through, but I also know that people your age bounce back SO MUCH sooner, and you'll be great at that. I'll definitely be thinking of you and praying for you on your surgery day.

Enjoy your Thanksgiving and the next two weeks-- and just think, you'll be home and on the road to recovery by Christmas. And so much straighter and taller too! And THAT will be wonderful!

Corrected to 15°

Comment

I would also like to send good wishes for a safe and Happy Thanksgiving to all the wonderful people on this forum!

Renee

Twas the night of Thanksgiving

Twas the night of Thanksgiving, but I just couldn't sleep.
        I tried counting backwards, I tried counting sheep.
        The leftovers beckoned - the dark meat and white,
        But I fought the temptation with all of my might.
        Tossing and turning with anticipation.
        The thought of a snack became infatuation.

So, I raced to the kitchen, flung open the door
        And gazed at the fridge, full of goodies galore.
        I gobbled up turkey and buttered potatoes.
        Pickles and carrots, beans and tomatoes.
        I felt myself swelling so plump and so round,
        Till all of a sudden, I rose off the ground.
        I crashed through the ceiling, floating into the sky,
        With a mouthful of pudding and a handful of pie.
        But, I managed to yell as I soared past the trees...
        Happy eating to all, pass the cranberries, please.

May your stuffing be tasty, your turkey be plump.
        Your potatoes 'n gravy have nary a lump.
        May your yams be delicious; your pies take the prize.
        And may your Thanksgiving dinner stay off your thighs!

Renee

Comment

A lot to be thankful for

Susie, thank you for starting this post. Your kind thoughts are most welcome. Frankly, I had sort of put Thanksgiving pretty much out of my mind - I don't do a dinner any longer as I have only my adult son. The last 2 years we went out for steak dinners! I confess last year I did buy a half turkey breast and a few of the other goodies just so I could pick at leftovers.

I have been in awe of the support, encouragement, knowledge and wisdom of all of you incredible folks who have shared so much, and I am truly thankful that I was guided to this forum by Linda Racine

Even though on Thursday I won't be gulping down eggnog, white & dark meat, potatoes, gravy, pies, wine, etc., in my heart I will say a very hearty & sincere thanks for everyone and everything that led me to this place in my life. I am blessed.
          As of 12/25/07, age 62, 100* thoracic kyphosis, 73* L1-S1 lordosis, 37*/25* compensatory S-curve scoliosis. On 12/26/07, Dr. Boachie @ HSS NYC did 11 hours ant. & post. procedures, fused T2-L2, kyphosis now 57*, scoli 10*. Regained 2 1/4 inches in height!! Improving every day.

Comment

Yes, happy Thanksgiving to all, and thank you Susie. You're a very warm and gracious person, and have already helped lots of people here.

It's nice to be a member of such an exclusive club, although we DO pay our dues, don't we?!? I am also grateful for the support of everyone here.

Great poem, Renee!
            Chris
            A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
            Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
            Post-op curve: 12 degrees
            Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Happy Thanksgiving to you all...I am very thankful for knowing about this forum. All of you have helped me and guided me and others to go through the whole process of us having and living with scoliosis. I think I would be a total mess without you guys. There really is'nt anyone "family or friends" that could support us in the way that we are supported on this forum. I really feel blessed and am so Thankful for meeting all of you.

God Bless and Happy Turkey Day !!!
              Gobble Gobble

Deb
              A/P Surgery Oct.15 and 18, 2007
              T2 to Sacrum
              Pre-surgery 56* T 60* L
              Post-surgery 28* T 30* L
              Dr. Pashman, Cedars-Sinai Hospital
              Bevery Hills, CA

Debbie, age 51 at surgery.
              Now, 59 yrs young :-)

Comment

You guys are great!

I just read everyone's posts on this thread, and the tears just started streaming down. My girls would be rolling their eyes even though they love me, because they know I get so sappy. But you are so kind! Yes, Singer, it is like a very special club. And what kind things you said--I tend to think people must view me as a busybody who says too much . Oh well! And no one else does quite understand like someone who's in the same boat, Debbie. That's what gives us that special bond. Instead of being kindred spirits, we're kindred bods--along with all the extras (feelings, problems, etc.) that come attached to them! Janet--steak (and no dishes to wash!) sounds wonderful. Have a great time eating out with your son! I told my husband we should get a smaller turkey this year, and he picked out a 23 pounder! He'll definitely have to be the one handling it this year. It'll just be him and me and one daughter and her husband. And they have to eat at his mother's house too, so we'll be having plenty of turkey for a l-o-o-o-n-g time! And thanks for neat poem, Renee! I loved it!

Anytime I feel a little down or lonely this week I can re-read this thread and do the roller coaster--both laughing and crying in one sitting. Thanks so much to all of you!

Corrected to 15°

Comment

Happy Thanksgiving to all....this year I give special thanks for this forum and the great people that are part of it. You helped me through many tough times.

Sue

Comment

I agree... we are all friends attached at the spine

So many times i come here for reassurance and encouragement that i just can't find anywhere else. I don't usually post a lot, but I read every day and usually several times a day. I feel that i know most of you and have envisioned what you look like...

Since this is a time to count our blessings, I must count this forum as one of mine. I am truly THANKFUL for you all.

(((hugs)))
                    JoAnn

Comment

Happy Thanksgiving all! What a lovely thread. We do have a lot to be thankful for, especially those of us who have undergone surgery this year and are on the recovery path. I've said how much this forum meant to me before surgery, but I want to echo that even more now that I'm recovering. I felt alone for 15 years before I found NSF. You are all my heroes and I wish you the happiest of holidays.

(I'm making Thanksgiving dinner for the first time this year, but I'm not lifting the turkey. My father is on the plane right now and will arrive in an hour. Last time he saw me I was relearning how to walk with a cane, in an incredible amount of pain, and on lots of pain killers. He is going to get a big smile when I pick him up at the airport and he watches me walk and move. A few weeks before my surgery my father had a 99% blockage in his heart and he was rushed into surgery. Now look at us both - celebrating Thanksgiving together. We all have a lot to be thankful for!)

Blessings,
                      Anya
                      "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
                      Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
                      19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

Definitely giving more thanks for you all

Susie and all others who have posted, I totally reiterate your sentiments. Before I found this site, I thought I was the only "odd" one in the world (at least physically-hehe) You all have sooooo much information to share and support - it's amazing. I know I've had a couple of downer weeks in the last year or so, and somehow you all have managed to pick up my spirits! Knowing that others out there TRULY know what I am going through is a miracle!

I do wish you all the blessing of a great Thanksgiving. We have a lot to be thankful for in our lives - this board being only one of my many blessings!

As I hang my ornaments on my tree this weekend (as I do every Thanksgiving weekend) I will think of each of you - those recovering, those scheduled for surgeries, and those just searching for answers! I'm blessed that I can still manage to put up the tree and the decorations

BEST WISHES FOR A FANTASTIC THANKSGIVING
                        Always Smilin'

Always Smilin'
                        Colleen

1982 fused T2-L1
                        pre op 45 - post op 33 (left thoracic)
                        pre op 53 - post op 18 (right thoracic)

recheck 2006
                        right thoracic 57
                        lower lumbar 34

surgical revision April 28,2009
                        revision T3-L1; new fusion L1-L4
                        unsure of degrees at this point

Comment

Thank you, and happy holidays!!

I feel that I speak for everyone and to everyone at the same time when I say this:

Thank you for your candid answers, honest advice, and questions that may seem a little embarrassing at times. I appreciate it so much, it means the world to have people that you can go to for help and know that they have the sincerest empathies for what I am going through.

Pre-op or post-op, keep your spirits up (I'll be in the hospital, four days post-op on x-mas! ) as we enter another holiday season.

Best wishes,
                          Roseann
                          2001 T-sp 58* L-sp 55*
                          2007 T-sp 64* L-sp 67*
                          Surgery Dec. 21 2007
                          Posterior fusion T3 to L3

Comment

I know it is not exactly the same to be the Mom of a child with scoliosis vs. an adult with scoliosis. But we all come on here for support and understanding. Even though most of us have loving families and friends, nobody else can relate to us the way we all can relate to one another. So, I, too want to wish everyone on here a happy and healthy Thanksgiving. I could not have gotten through these past two years without all the support of the people on here, especially the other Parents.

Thanks for getting me through Nicole's surgery. I really miss her tonight because she slept out at a friend's house.

Renee, did you write that amazing poem?
                            Melissa
                            From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
                            Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

Melissa,

I wish I was that talented! No, I didn't write the poem, someone had sent it to me. Thought it was cute, so I wanted to share.

Just want to say again how grateful I am for this forum and all the great people willing to share info and experience. I remember crying the first time I found it, like others, I had felt so alone and ashamed because I was "different". Couldn't even talk about scoli without becoming emotional. I've sure come a long way! And I absolutely couldn't have helped my son get through surgery and recovery as well without all the advice and support of the people here, it made all the difference in the world to us.

Happy Thanksgiving and many thanks to all!
                              Renee

Comment

Working...
                              X