Will likely have to postpone surgery...again. :o(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will likely have to postpone surgery...again. :o(

My husband and I recently found out that we are expecting another child. While we are, of course, thrilled about the pregnancy, I have to admit that I'm a little disappointed that I will have to put of the surgery for at least 2 1/2 to 3 years, and possibly longer. We're only 9 weeks right now. So, I'm waiting until we are 12 weeks to make the call to postpone the surgery. And, of course, as I type this message, I am in horrible pain - go figure.

Anyway, thanks to everyone who has helped me on this forum. I will still be here and I will still have my surgery when the doctor allows me to re-schedule. Be strong, be well and be happy!

Ann
    44 year old female
    Surgery on Nov. 1, 2010
    Dr. Darrell Hanson, Methodist Hospital
    Posterior Only, 9 hours
    Presurgical: T 61 Degrees, L 58 degrees, with 15 degrees of thoracolumbar rotation
    Postsurgical: T 26, L 25

Hello Ann-

Talk about mixed blessings! I am happy to hear about your new one coming! I love babies. But, I hadn't thought about it until now, but I remember my back hurting more when i was pregnant. I am so sorry you have to face that. I thought about your struggles with your twins, and hope this child has a picture perfect pregnancy, dear. I hope some new life helps with the loss you all have suffered. God bless and please let us know how you do.... Lisa
    Lisa age 47
    T curve 69 degrees
    L curve 40 degrees more or less - compensatory
    fused to from T-3 to sacrum
    anterior and posterior surgeries completed June 1, 2007
    pushing hard in recovery !!

Comment

In my thoughts...

Dear Ann-- I read your post earlier this afternoon and didn't respond because I wasn't sure I could say anything that would help. I keep thinking of you, though, and hoping that you can deal with the conflicting emotions. Babies are so wonderful, aren't they? But they are also so much work. I can remember back to all three of my pregnancies, and although I didn't realize it was scoli that was making my back ache, I remember thinking it ached less when I was pregnant. I'm really not sure why, but it struck me as odd at the time.

I hope you can feel blessed and enjoy the pregnancy and, of course, the new baby. You are still young enough that postponing the surgery shouldn't be too much of a problem, other than continuing back pain. I wish you all the best and I hope you keep us posted with how everything goes.
      71 and plugging along... but having some problems
      2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
      5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
      Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
      CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
      10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

I am a true believer that everything happens for a reason. You will be blessed with a new addition to your family that can't be replaced.

There are many of us here that have had the surgery after the age of 45. So feel the comfort of knowing that you have time. And try not to stress about having to wait a few years, time flies, and you will have the joy of another life in yours.

Congratulations,
        Shari

Comment

Thank you!

Thank you all for your kind words and your support. We are currently at 10 weeks and will be in the second trimester in 2 weeks. The chance of miscarriage will be a lot less then and I will feel more comfortable postponing my surgery date when we get there. So, just two more weeks! I will keep you all udated as we go.

I got a call from Jeff at Dr. Shelokov's office regarding the surgery date. I had emailed them at about 7 or 8 weeks to let them know, but also telling them that, due to our history of miscarriage, I didn;t want to postpone the surgery date until we get into the 2nd trimester. Apparently, he hadn't associated that email with me. ) So, he was surprised when I told him about the baby. However, he did remember the email. Anyway, they are waiting to hear back from me in 2 weeks. I believe they will want to see me as soon as possible after delivery so that they can document progression. My last pregnancy sped up progression dramatically and they are predicting this one will too. So, it's a mixed blessing, but definnitely worth it to add a new little one to the family!

Wish us luck!

Ann
          44 year old female
          Surgery on Nov. 1, 2010
          Dr. Darrell Hanson, Methodist Hospital
          Posterior Only, 9 hours
          Presurgical: T 61 Degrees, L 58 degrees, with 15 degrees of thoracolumbar rotation
          Postsurgical: T 26, L 25

Comment

Working...
          X