laparoscopic scoliosis surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• laparoscopic scoliosis surgery

My daughter is 18 years with a 48 degree curve. She's been experiencing much back pain at the top of the curve. One doctor recommends surgery, another recommends a wait and see approach.

I'm wondering if anyone has had laparoscopic surgery. From my on-line research I see that some doctors are doing it, although most seem to use the open method.

Has anyone had the laparoscopic method?

Thanks for your input.

Has one surgeon recommended the anterior thoracoscopic surgery?

18 years old with a 48° curve (and the ±5° variation in the Cobb) could mean better to correct it while your daughter's flexible - or have a stable 50° curve at 39 (like me), wishing she'd had the surgery earlier.

Get a 3rd, 4th ... and 10th opinion until you determine the path.
    Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
    AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
    Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
    Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
    EMAIL ME

Comment

I am having surgery myself next june of 08... mine is going to be done posteriorly though. One thing to know about endoscopic scoliosis surgery is that there are limits to if they can do it or not depending on where your curves are what type, etc. For me, I can't have it done that way because I also have kyphosis.... this is because when the surgery is done endoscopically it tends to increase this kyphosis curve. For most people with scoliosis though, this is not a problem because they have an abnormally "flat" back, in other words, their natural kyphosis (the curve when looking from the side) is abnormally small. Mine is the opposite, so therefore, posterior surgery for me. It's definitely something to look into though if you can have it done that way. I wish you luck in your decision, it was/is not an easy one for me but I am also having a lot of trouble with pain, progression, etc...
      aBbiE
      22 yr old F,KU college student
      Kyphoscoliosis...
      Scoliosis (25T, 23L) diagnosed @ 14 yrs old; curves June 08 were 45T, 32L with 18 degree rotation
      Kyphosis of 65 degrees...
      I am missing a lumbar vertebrae

Surgery 6/30/2008 with Dr. Lawrence Lenke
      Fused T2-L2

before/after pics
      all smiles!

Comment

Hi Cindyr,
        My son is 17 and his curves are 46T/54L and he is scheduled for an anterior fusion on December 12. I don't know much about the laparoscopic surgery but would be interested in hearing what you know about it and what the criteria is for being a candidate.

Thanks!
        Lori

Mom to Christopher, age 17, Mark, 13, Heather, 10 and Michael, 8
        Chris had surgery with Dr. John Flynn at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia on December 12, 2007. He is fused T4 to L4.
        Dr. Flynn is an AMAZING surgeon!

Comment

I was SO excited to read about the throacoscopic surgery, as well - especially after saying "No THANKS!" to the open approach described to me 10 years ago. Living with my back just wasn't that bad for me then.

Turns out, my probably surgeon says I don't even need anterior release, so I too will only require posterior F/I from T5-L1.

Hanson said he would have NEVER recommended (nor can he imagine I'd need) an anterior approach, and honestly, that's why you have to be SO careful in finding the right surgeon for you or your child.

And, yes ... only a small subset are candidates for the surgery. I've researched myself, and have yet to find the qualifications for eligibility.

I do know my surgeon isn't keen on the procedure as a whole, but that's just my experience.

Best to you.

Regards,
          Pam
          Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
          AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
          Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
          Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
          EMAIL ME

Comment

Working...
          X