Newbie, 17, had surgery now in brace, general questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie, 17, had surgery now in brace, general questions

Hiya, im 17 and have just had the operation for my scoliosis. Back at home now after 12 days in hospital. I just feel really down at the moment. i cant go out, or go clubbing, or wear nice clothes.

I just have some general questions for people who wore a brace after surgery. I had a brace ages ago but didnt really wear it propery beacuse i didnt feel it was working beacuse my back was so flexible it just went back to shape. Im just really annoyed cos i dont feel like i even needed the surgery now. My curve was about 55 degress. But i got no back pain at all, and it was hardly noticible. Now i went through the surgery which was not exacly a nice experiance, and now i have back pain, an unflexible back, and a back brace that has to be worn for 6 months!!

Its been about a month now since i first had the surgery, and i really want to get back to driving. im practically back to normal ive healed pretty fast. but my mum says i have to wait for another month untill we see the surgeion and it says it ok. Has anyone been able to drive with just thier doctors permission??

Also, i got this soft corset thing which i wore before i had my brace fitted which i bought home. and i muuuchhh prefer wearing this. I mean how important is it to wear the back brace 23 hours a day. ive walked around for a little bit without it and i feel fine. i mean isnt it just for protection??

Would be really grateful if anyone could answer these questions. Thanks!! x
    XxX..SaRaH..XxX

If you curve was 55 you def needed surgery. They tell me lots of time there is no pain with it (I had plenty of pain before my surgery however) - but if your spine is curved that drastically it causes all kinds of internal probs. Basically squishes (is that a word?) your organs, can cause probs having kids down the road, and can actually cause early death. It is def not a thing to take lightly. And, yes wearing the brace is important - at least it was when I had my surgery which was many years ago, but if the dr said to I'm sure it is still important. It supports your back so that it can heal properly and completely - you don't need the stress of no support while it is healing. I had probs and 2 of my vertebra didn't fuse and had to have a second surgery - you def don't want any complications!!!

I had my first surgery at 15 and my second at 20. Not fun experiences but necessary.

Hope I answered some of your questions!

Comment

Working...
    X